PDA

View Full Version : Gq petrol under water

popup
12th September 2011, 12:28 AM
Hi all just trying to find out is there any problems with ruining a petrol/gas engine under water with a snorkel. eg with the distributor getting wet.
Cheers Russell
P.S this site has help me with some other problems i have had.
GREAT WORK PEOPLE

patch697
12th September 2011, 12:42 AM
It really depends on how deep you intend to go mate but good quality water dispersant sprayed over all your electricals is a good start & if you run onboard air with a storage tank youcan hook a hose up to the breather on your distributor cap & pump air into the dizzy to keep things running.... A regulated charge of between 6 to 8 pounds is the magic number for this type of application.

Also make double sure your air intake (ie air box & all plumbing) is fully sealed below the snorkel head. Make sure all vacuum lins are hooked up & not leaking....

Wait for others to respond here as there are things I haven't listed that you will need to do prior to doing a deep water crossing.

Bigrig
12th September 2011, 08:55 AM
It really depends on how deep you intend to go mate but good quality water dispersant sprayed over all your electricals is a good start & if you run onboard air with a storage tank youcan hook a hose up to the breather on your distributor cap & pump air into the dizzy to keep things running.... A regulated charge of between 6 to 8 pounds is the magic number for this type of application.

Also make double sure your air intake (ie air box & all plumbing) is fully sealed below the snorkel head. Make sure all vacuum lins are hooked up & not leaking....

Wait for others to respond here as there are things I haven't listed that you will need to do prior to doing a deep water crossing.

X2 on these mate - I run petrol/LPG and do a ton of water crossings (5" lift and the water is often over the bonnet) - slow and steady into the water to create a bow wave and then constant pace (not acceleration) through it and if all the plumbing is right, then you should be also - WD40 or any good water dispersant is your friend pre and post doing it though ...

popup
12th September 2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks fella's

Silver
13th September 2011, 12:02 AM
buy a boat. Most of the flathead I catch come from water that is shallower than the depth from Tank's bonnet to the ground.

More seriously, think about diff and gear box breathers as well. The rear diff breathes into the round chassis cross member on the Q. I didn't know that before I stuck a hose into that cross member after a beach trip. Must be something reasonable in there as the diff was ok, but most run the breathers somewhere else.

popup
13th September 2011, 12:05 AM
CHEERS Russell

GQshorty
18th February 2012, 05:51 PM
cheers guys:)

Robo
3rd March 2012, 02:24 PM
Something I pick up as a boat owner.
I asked the marine mechanic who was working on the ignition system.
" Why's the wire insulation looking swollen and soft to touch ".
He said WD40 attacks the plastic insulation, it's petroleum based.
there are better products out there that don't do this.
sorry cant think of the names. alzimers (old-timers) .
produced for the armed forces to stop the problems they came into as you can imagine if it works for them.
but also available to us, that how I know of it, do some research.

cheers

Silver
3rd March 2012, 05:36 PM
Something I pick up as a boat owner.
I asked the marine mechanic who was working on the ignition system.
" Why's the wire insulation looking swollen and soft to touch ".
He said WD40 attacks the plastic insulation, it's petroleum based.
there are better products out there that don't do this.
sorry cant think of the names. alzimers (old-timers) .
produced for the armed forces to stop the problems they came into as you can imagine if it works for them.
but also available to us, that how I know of it, do some research.

cheers

I like Inox.