PDA

View Full Version : MQ smoking

Blackjack
6th September 2011, 06:57 PM
Hi Guys i just bought a MQ wagon I am unsure of what motor is in it I think it is a 2.8l
petrol/lpg.
When i test drove it it was fine no nasty noises and no smoke,
Today when i ran it it smoked fairly significantly from start up,
after awhile it cleaned up and was fine,
The car had been sitting idle for quite some time,
Would the period of inactivity have caused the valve guide seals to harden causing this or have I been sold a lemon?
I would appreciate any help on this as it has turned my smile into a frown:(
cheers Blackjack

growler2058
6th September 2011, 07:05 PM
if its got a upper cylinder lube bottle for the gas they can sometiomes let too much oil in and blow smoke

Blackjack
10th September 2011, 05:28 PM
Had a discussion with my brother regarding this issue and he is of the belief that it's caused by the use of Valvoline synthetic oil,
Apparently it is to clean and does not leave a residue build up,
Thus allowing a little oil to seep into the combustion chamber overnight,
This makes sense to me because after the initial start-up smokeathon it is fine every time after on that day.
Does any-one else on here believe this could be the problem?

the ferret
10th September 2011, 06:41 PM
My money would be on valve seals and/or worn guides.

Benno7
10th September 2011, 07:03 PM
My money would be on valve seals and/or worn guides.
X2
Have you given it a service yet? if you have what grade oil did you use?

Finly Owner
11th September 2011, 10:15 PM
X3

Tim

the ferret
11th September 2011, 11:49 PM
X3

Tim
Well tie my face ta thu side of a pig n roll me in thu mud, I just love good back up.

timbar
12th September 2011, 12:19 AM
nicotine Patches dont work but try changing the oil to a thicker grade I have a GQ on Gas I use the HPR10 Gas Penrite i have run this oil for many years and have done 450,000kms on this oil and not a puff of smoke on mine shes original motor and has just clicked over 599,000kms pricey oils but worth the extra dollars cant guarentee it will fix it but its worth a go mate !! hope this helps

MQ MAD
13th September 2011, 11:22 AM
Well tie my face ta thu side of a pig n roll me in thu mud, I just love good back up.

Oh Rod, your so modest !!!

Blowing smoke on start up , is as the man with the modesty says "Valve sem seals"
L28 , give it an oil change , dont go to heavy on the oil , as due to age the oil pump could have issues pumping the heavy oil

Blackjack
13th September 2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys,
I think we are all on the same page as to the cause.
The first thing to do is the oil change then I'll take the next step.
I don't believe it is too big a job to replace the valve guide seals, Would I be correct?
thanks again John.

the ferret
13th September 2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys,
I think we are all on the same page as to the cause.
The first thing to do is the oil change then I'll take the next step.
I don't believe it is too big a job to replace the valve guide seals, Would I be correct?
thanks again John.'

You will need to use compressed air to each spark plug hole, otherwise when you remove the collets, the valve will drop into the cylinder, and then the head needs to come off.

nemo
14th September 2011, 12:49 AM
You can use rope feed in throught the spark plug hole instead of compressed air.

wind the motor so the piston is down the bore then feed in a heap of rope, then wind the motor till it locks up.
Your valves aint going no where then and you dont have to worry about the air supply failing

the ferret
14th September 2011, 01:23 AM
You can use rope feed in throught the spark plug hole instead of compressed air.

wind the motor so the piston is down the bore then feed in a heap of rope, then wind the motor till it locks up.
Your valves aint going no where then and you dont have to worry about the air supply failing
Yep, that does work too.

Blackjack
30th January 2012, 01:05 PM
Hey guys just an update on the old girl, Did the oil change and went with the HPR penrite as I have a lot of faith in penrite oils,
End result is No more smoke!
If only I could give them up,
I have put quite a few K's on her and just love her to death,
The thing I really like the most is when you lift the bonnet there are no yellow things that you are allowed to touch!
This obviously means I'm free to touch anything I like,
A real blessing in this day of sealed, computerised factory fresh crap that is flooding our lives,
I really get comfort from knowing that I can at least get the old technology home in the event of a breakdown,
One thing that it does do, and I haven't had a real good look at it yet.
sometimes I will be driving along and it sounds like a school of cicada's has come to roost with me,I worked it out that the right front hub was partially engaging(Automatic hubs)No biggie just have to pull up select 4WD and move a foot or so and she is all good again.
I somehow get the feeling that you guys are going to tell me to ditch the auto hubs and fit free-wheelers.
I'm happy to do that if it is the only answer,
As I mainly use her for launching and retrieving our boat I quite like the auto hubs,
I'm to old to get into any real hard core 4 wheelin'. even tho' I do sneak off the black dirt as often as I can.
Thanks again for your help Blackjack.

Turtle_au
7th February 2012, 03:22 PM
another thing to watch out for are the high detergent type oils, often the ones that are suitable for diesel engines. As the name implies they will clean the engine and keep the carbon/soot suspended. If its an older engine, you could strart burning oil as it removes the carbon from the rings, valve stems etc. Also whilst keeping the carbon suspended it can then overload and block the oil filter (learnt this the hard way on an old mini)

bottles
9th February 2012, 02:46 PM
I have a l28 MQ hort wheel base, 30 years old second motor fully rebulit. Pull the head off check slap and do your valve guides . But just reco the whole motor. not expensive and worry free motoring. have fun with it they are basically indestructable. cheers

Robo
11th February 2012, 02:02 AM
Yep x55.
Penrite, can't beat it.
L28 nearly indestructible.
Auto hub, easy to disassemble, clean, re-grease, put back on.
FYI.
audible click should be heard when you disengage hub by reversing.
if not try greasing and monthly engagement/disengage.
also axle can supposedly get a ware mark from needle bearing if not used often.
axle sits and vibrates on this bearing.
1 that I know of, ebay cheap rebuild bearing kit, supplied needle bearings are low on rollers.
OEM bearing has alot more rollers, more rollers supports better and less ware.
someone once told me Jap L28 was a copy of an old British engine.

thomas.h
17th February 2012, 03:02 PM
what colour smoke narrow it down white smoke unburnt fuel black smoke partly burnt fuel blue smoke oil go from there with cause and effect if its white it means its running too rich and probably a carby issue, if its black then somethings definately wrong cause its a petrol :P and if its blue then take a look at your stem seals and check your plugs for fouling as l28 stem seals failing leaves a good carbon build up on that cylinders plug