PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

Biffster
2nd September 2011, 06:44 PM
Hello all,

I have a small problem that I hope someone can help me with.

I have just purchased (private sale) an 04 build sold 05 3.0 lt TD has 61000 on the clock and I understand that it is an ex cop vehicle. has a lot of fruit on it and was a good price.

My problem is that I have an oil leak, at first it looked like the return hose to the sump was leaking from the hose clamp. I put on a new one seemed to stop most of the oil. Then the wife took it for a spin when she came back one or two drops over about 5 minutes then nothing. Then it would drop about 30 / 40 ml and stop.

I originally thought it was coming out of the sump as I cleaned up a lot of oil from there. but I think that the problem is coming from where the gear box meets the engine. Apparently the previous owner said that he got the clutch fixed prior to selling it to me.

Can anyone tell me is there any secrets to tightening/testing the bolts for the right tension and is there anything that I should look out for. Im not overly mechanically minded (electrical is my world) but will give most things a go with right advice.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers

growler2058
2nd September 2011, 06:59 PM
Could be a rear main seal, which is a big job if you're not mechanically minded. Gear box has gotta come out

YNOT
2nd September 2011, 06:59 PM
If there is black oil is dripping out of the bell housing then you may have a leaking rear main seal. The previous owner may have had the rear main seal replaced when the clutch was done.

Tony

Bigrig
2nd September 2011, 07:01 PM
Is it definitely oil? And not transmission fluid?

Biffster
3rd September 2011, 10:17 AM
Dont like the idea of it being a rear seal but is something to look into. thanks for the help guys

Cheers

Bigrig
3rd September 2011, 10:33 AM
Dont like the idea of it being a rear seal but is something to look into. thanks for the help guys

Cheers

Good luck with it mate - not the 'friendliest' of jobs to do!