PDA

View Full Version : Is the forum slow for you?

AB
31st August 2011, 07:56 PM
I just had a PM from a regular member saying how over the last couple of weeks the forum has been running slow.

Even when he types the speed of the text showing does not keep up with this typing and there is a couple of second delay.

Also that there is a delay when he scrolls up and down the screen etc would be frustrating.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this on a regular basis?

The forum can sometimes slow up for a minute or two if someone is downloading manuals but it should certainly not be happening all the time.

I don't really see the forum slowing down much and as I'm typing this It all seems fast and working 100% but how is everyone else travelling?

Really appreciate any feedback from anyone. If your a new member then please don't be shy and let me know what the speed is for you or any problems you have had, etc....

Thanks again everyone!

belzi82
31st August 2011, 08:02 PM
Hi AB
The speed from my home computer is fine! Not issues this end!!

big_fletch
31st August 2011, 08:02 PM
I havent noticed the forum being slow at all, no problems at my end

Fletcha

growler2058
31st August 2011, 08:06 PM
At work has been slow but I put that down to the dongle?? Is that right. Seems ok at home

Woof
31st August 2011, 08:11 PM
OK down here

Maxhead
31st August 2011, 08:15 PM
No worries from Canberra mate

AB
31st August 2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks everyone.

I know this person has a MAC. I would love to hear from anyone who has a MAC too????

Yendor
31st August 2011, 08:26 PM
Hi AB,

I use a MAC running Safari and have no problems with the speed of the site.

The only thing I have noticed is, at times when I first try to access the site an error message comes up that it cant be found, then after a couple of seconds I refresh it and then it loads.

The other thing is the ad at the top of the screen will just randomly start loading like you have clicked on it (but I hadn't).

Rodney

Maxhead
31st August 2011, 08:29 PM
The other thing is the ad at the top of the screen will just randomly start loading like you have clicked on it (but I hadn't).

Rodney

I have that too, I think some ads load when you hover your cursor over it...but not sure

growler2058
31st August 2011, 08:35 PM
I have that too, I think some ads load when you hover your cursor over it...but not sure

Yup twice I've got up to do something and the mouse has hovered on the tampon ad and away it goes........real good on a building site fullof blokes you can well imagine hahaha

Woof
31st August 2011, 08:38 PM

Yes that is correct Kris, leave your cursor on the add and it will load..

Yendor
31st August 2011, 08:46 PM
Yes that is correct Kris, leave your cursor on the add and it will load..

So my computer is not possessed then..

AB
31st August 2011, 08:50 PM

Yes correct, some of them can load when you hover over and leave it over the ad for 5 seconds....Very frustrating!!!!

The only thing I have noticed is, at times when I first try to access the site an error message comes up that it cant be found, then after a couple of seconds I refresh it and then it loads.

How do you access the site?

Do you have it saved in your favorites or do you type it in each time?

If you access from your favorites then can you post the URL of what is saved in your favorites....Cheers!

frenzy
31st August 2011, 09:05 PM
I get an error sometime on tapa... it usually loads the second time.
No probs on my PC.

Yendor
31st August 2011, 09:19 PM
How do you access the site?

Do you have it saved in your favorites or do you type it in each time?

If you access from your favorites then can you post the URL of what is saved in your favorites....Cheers!

I don't have it stored in favourites, with the MAC when you open up a new browser it brings up "Top Sites" this a page full of your most visited website (the list changes depending on history).

This is the current URL

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/search.php?searchid=607757

AB
31st August 2011, 09:29 PM
I don't have it stored in favourites, with the MAC when you open up a new browser it brings up "Top Sites" this a page full of your most visited website (the list changes depending on history).

This is the current URL

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/search.php?searchid=607757

Ok, the link you gave me is a link to the "Whats New" section. You won't be able to link to a page that is constantly changing as the code involved in displaying the new posts always changes.

Note the address at the end of the URL = search.php?searchid=607757

That particular time you searched in the whats new section gave you an ID search code of 607757 which will changed to another number each time a new post comes in so that other number will no longer be accessible.
Thats why it doesnt work but then works again when you refresh as you are refreshing the page which gathers the latest posts and displays it on the screen with a new code number...

Anyways....lol...Probably just confused us more.....Basically you can't link to Whats New for it to work first time you click on it...lol

And in your case you will get an error each time as you constantly use the Whats new section and your Mac will take you to that page each time it seems.

timbar
31st August 2011, 09:37 PM
im running fine when im running .........ahahaha multiple faults at my end thou not just the forum .....all is good must be the spiders in the visors hahahahahahaha

Yendor
31st August 2011, 09:51 PM
Ok, the link you gave me is a link to the "Whats New" section. You won't be able to link to a page that is constantly changing as the code involved in displaying the new posts always changes.

Note the address at the end of the URL = search.php?searchid=607757

That particular time you searched in the whats new section gave you an ID search code of 607757 which will changed to another number each time a new post comes in so that other number will no longer be accessible.
Thats why it doesnt work but then works again when you refresh as you are refreshing the page which gathers the latest posts and displays it on the screen with a new code number...

Anyways....lol...Probably just confused us more.....Basically you can't link to Whats New for it to work first time you click on it...lol

And in your case you will get an error each time as you constantly use the Whats new section and your Mac will take you to that page each time it seems.

I did wonder if that may be the case, but when it plays up (which is only every now and then it doesn't find the website) then when you refresh it, it loads.

When it does load yes I normally get a message, something along the lines of no new post to display, but the website has loaded.

Clunk
31st August 2011, 10:15 PM
the only issue I have tends to be when first opening up the website, takes a while to be able to enter user name and password but after that its fine most of the time

nowoolies
2nd September 2011, 01:05 AM
slow as a wet week tonight Andy

Clunk
2nd September 2011, 01:08 AM
slow as a wet week tonight Andy

yep x2 on that one, doubling up on posts on the occassion too

Maxhead
2nd September 2011, 07:12 AM
yep x2 on that one, doubling up on posts on the occassion too

Yep, same here. You go to post something and it tries to do it twice and gives you an error saying you can not post twice within 30 seconds.
And I notice it slower as well

edit: this was last night

katwoman
2nd September 2011, 08:03 AM
Yep, same here. You go to post something and it tries to do it twice and gives you an error saying you can not post twice within 30 seconds.
And I notice it slower as well

edit: this was last night

It came good at about 2.30am....

AB
2nd September 2011, 08:37 AM
I have noticed that it sometimes runs slow on the whats new section and then runs fine on accessing other things.

I wonder if too many people are using the Whats New section...lol

Also noticed it running slow last night too...GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir Roofy
2nd September 2011, 10:05 AM
I have noticed that it sometimes runs slow on the whats new section and then runs fine on accessing other things.

I wonder if too many people are using the Whats New section...lol

Also noticed it running slow last night too...GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

i have found it very slow at times,i click on an item and it takes a long time to load
was very slow last nite seems ok this morning thow,at other times i just give up
and try another time
thought some of it was someone down loading a manual
or gremlins in my computer
on the boss,s side of the competer there,s all these adds,iknow we need them but annoying
on my side i have none except the home page
on being slow it has been bad lately but when working ok is at lightening speed

ahhh but dont forget im a nuff nuff when it comes down to it

DX grunt
2nd September 2011, 10:10 AM
Mine's running slow occasionally, too. I put part of my explanation down to having too much virus protection.

You know what sells. Maybe this Forum is having the same effect - that's why it slows down! lol

AB
2nd September 2011, 10:13 AM
I will make some calls today.

Sir Roofy
2nd September 2011, 10:14 AM
Mine's running slow occasionally, too. I put part of my explanation down to having too much virus protection.

You know what sells. Maybe this Forum is having the same effect - that's why it slows down! lol

thats a good point mate could be to much protection
when the start up and start to run

AB
2nd September 2011, 10:22 AM
Ok, just got off the phone to my provider and they will get the engineers to look at it today and advise.

At a quick glance the guy mentioned that we are getting a bucket load of traffic, a lot more then other forums that he manages and mentioned we may need throw more resources at it but will let me know...

Stay tuned!!!!

Sir Roofy
2nd September 2011, 10:35 AM
ok, just got off the phone to my provider and they will get the engineers to look at it today and advise.

At a quick glance the guy mentioned that we are getting a bucket load of traffic, a lot more then other forums that he manages and mentioned we may need throw more resources at it but will let me know...

Stay tuned!!!!

in one way thats a good thing that we have so much traffic, means it is becomming very popular
and the word is spreading and the forum is going to grow

rkinsey
2nd September 2011, 02:05 PM
I just had a PM from a regular member saying how over the last couple of weeks the forum has been running slow.

Even when he types the speed of the text showing does not keep up with this typing and there is a couple of second delay.

Also that there is a delay when he scrolls up and down the screen etc would be frustrating.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this on a regular basis?

The forum can sometimes slow up for a minute or two if someone is downloading manuals but it should certainly not be happening all the time.

I don't really see the forum slowing down much and as I'm typing this It all seems fast and working 100% but how is everyone else travelling?

Really appreciate any feedback from anyone. If your a new member then please don't be shy and let me know what the speed is for you or any problems you have had, etc....

Thanks again everyone!

Hi AB,

That is a problem with the users computer not the server at your end (or wherever it is hosted) His system resources are being used or the HDD is constantly seeking. There are other issues that can cause this type of behavior but I dont want to hijack your thread. (I can put some technical troubleshooting tips and tricks together if you like)

I have no issues with the forum at all and Im on it almost every day for a couple of hours at a time.

Cheers,

Rob

AB
2nd September 2011, 02:14 PM
Hi AB,

That is a problem with the users computer not the server at your end (or wherever it is hosted) His system resources are being used or the HDD is constantly seeking. There are other issues that can cause this type of behavior but I dont want to hijack your thread. (I can put some technical troubleshooting tips and tricks together if you like)

I have no issues with the forum at all and Im on it almost every day for a couple of hours at a time.

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks a million Rob, if you get a chance mate I'm sure that your post will be greatly appreciated and I can make it a sticky for everyone to see.

Appreciate your help mate!

I also found out that this particular person was using a MAC.

rkinsey
2nd September 2011, 02:21 PM
I also found out that this particular person was using a MAC.

AH HA!! There you go then... its a MAC.... (hehehehehe)

AB
2nd September 2011, 02:43 PM
AH HA!! There you go then... its a MAC.... (hehehehehe)

I know, thats the first problem...lol....I know ZIP about Mac's too.

Sir Roofy
2nd September 2011, 03:41 PM
0.02sec to load a new page

AB
2nd September 2011, 04:24 PM
They have put us up a notch on the fastometer folks...lol.

Lets see if the forum slows up again or not. Please let me know if it becomes slow for a period of time!

Woof
2nd September 2011, 04:58 PM
Very fast for me now that I'm back from dial-up....lol

MudRunnerTD
2nd September 2011, 06:34 PM
Well am the haunted MAC User.........

Hey AB i have just done a couple of restarts today on my Macbook which never gets shut down. The forum is certainly up a few notches from earlier today mate and i hope that it stays like this.

Cheers Darren

AB
2nd September 2011, 08:56 PM
Well am the haunted MAC User.........

Hey AB i have just done a couple of restarts today on my Macbook which never gets shut down. The forum is certainly up a few notches from earlier today mate and i hope that it stays like this.

Cheers Darren

Good to hear mate!

The engineers at the hosting company actually mentioned that this forum has put some strain on their servers...lol...

Well done everybody...haha....They allocated us more doobalackys and watchyamacallits so hopefully its all good again!

taslucas
2nd September 2011, 09:04 PM
Im on wireless in a fringe area and the speed is fine here

growler2058
3rd September 2011, 04:56 AM
Good to hear mate!

The engineers at the hosting company actually mentioned that this forum has put some strain on their servers...lol...

Well done everybody...haha....They allocated us more doobalackys and watchyamacallits so hopefully its all good again!

Hahahahaha that'd be coz of those clowns on ns hahahahahahaha

nowoolies
3rd September 2011, 07:53 AM
Hahahahaha that'd be coz of those clowns on ns hahahahahahaha

clowns??????? .....payaso senior........... you part of n/s now mate hahahahahahahahahaha lol

but good to see we StRaiN THINGS a bit hay haahahahahahahah

Bigrig
3rd September 2011, 09:22 AM
Don't know if it's just me (using tappatalk now as the laptop is horrendous), but slow as this morning ... opened other web pages and they appear fine ...

Bob
3rd September 2011, 09:29 AM
It appears to be working fine but every now and then slows to a walk.
When it does I check other Sites and they appear to be fine.
The Forum would appear to overload every now and then. Maybe Manual Downloads.

Bigrig
3rd September 2011, 09:42 AM
It appears to be working fine but every now and then slows to a walk.
When it does I check other Sites and they appear to be fine.
The Forum would appear to overload every now and then. Maybe Manual Downloads.

That could be it mate - seems fine again now ...

Clunk
3rd September 2011, 09:55 AM
there were problems again last night with posts being duplicated and forum slowing down.................... could have been us in N/S tapping to fast again but cant be sure hahahahahaha

Maxhead
8th September 2011, 09:59 PM
Is the forum mega slow or is it just me??? other sites are fine.

snicko
8th September 2011, 10:03 PM
Is the forum mega slow or is it just me??? other sites are fine.

Yeah NissPat, I am having problems actually on and off all day today. It's very slow and sometimes stops working and then kicks me off.........

Maxhead
8th September 2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah NissPat, I am having problems actually on and off all day today. It's very slow and sometimes stops working and then kicks me off.........

Yeah, same here in the last 30 minutes

Woof
8th September 2011, 10:05 PM
We just had a spammer here, banned,,,should be OK now I hope.