PDA

View Full Version : 33 TD boost

nemo
30th August 2011, 08:33 PM
Ok Im a mechanic by trade but have not had a lot to do with diesels, have pretty much avoided them, every thing is heavy and dirty. lol
Ive also mainly been into V8s and drag racing, current ride is a LX torana hatch, 355 stroker, T5, 9 inch.

What I want to know is how much boost should my MQ patrol 33TD should have and how much more safely it can take.

By the way were is the bloody ignition coil, I cant find it to check if my tacho is hook up as its not working, JK

AB
30th August 2011, 08:55 PM
Hi mate, Ive never owned an MQ so hopefully someone who does can help you further but I think from memory they are set at 6psi.

You could prbably go up to 8psi without a worry but again lets wait for someone with 33TD knowledge...

nemo
30th August 2011, 09:07 PM
No worries, havnt checked how much I have yet, will be doing in the next couple of days thou just to see if its all still there on the old girl.

Finly Owner
30th August 2011, 09:29 PM
what you are looking for is a sender unit located sort of beside the timer case for the injector pump located on the front of the engine. It has a wire casing with two wires coming from it. You'll locate this cablecoming down under the pump and out towards the drivers side of the engine bay.

Tim

nemo
30th August 2011, 10:09 PM
what you are looking for is a sender unit located sort of beside the timer case for the injector pump located on the front of the engine. It has a wire casing with two wires coming from it. You'll locate this cablecoming down under the pump and out towards the drivers side of the engine bay.

Tim
Is that for the tacho pick up ?

Finly Owner
30th August 2011, 10:46 PM
Is that for the tacho pick up ?
Yes it is

Tim

nemo
30th August 2011, 11:01 PM
thank you, will check to see if its hooked up.

MQ MAD
1st September 2011, 02:56 PM
There 7-8 PSI factory
Can run 10-12 PSI fairly reasonably,just depends on the engines overall condition and the Ks its done
Can go more, but IF the egt gets to high,youll be pickin the engine bits of the road
Running more boost just run it intercooled
The standard turbo IP will go upto 10PSI without turning it up
Over that youll have to turn the pump up

The taco trigger is as Tim mentions
Just a touch to the left of the balancer (looking from the front of engine)
2 X 10mm bolts

Mrowka
6th September 2011, 03:14 AM
BTW, a diesel does not have an ignition coil.