PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 Rebuild - has no oil return pipe?

GlennWilliam
29th August 2011, 01:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

Great site , I have picked up a lot of useful tips so thanks to all for that.

I have had my 9/2000 GU Patrol ZD30 motor die about 2 weeks ago it has 140,000 km on the clock.

So it was engine rebuild time i didn't want to use the old engine as i have be told by a few people it might be better to try and get a later model motor to get away from the earlier engine problems.

I have brought another long engine fully rebuilt using a brand new Nissan engine block.
I was told by the workshop that it's a later model block and would fit my Patrol.

I'm in the process of putting all the old parts from the old motor to the new motor and i have discovered that there is no oil return pipe outlet from the back of the head to the sump on the new motor ( I have attached some photos )

I phoned the place where i got the new motor from to make sure and asked the question about the missing outlet for the return pipe, and they told me that i don't need to attach the return pipe on this later engine and to go ahead and fit it and all will be fine.

Everything may be fine and I'm just being a bit paranoid, but I don't want to fit the motor and find out later it should have the pipe. I would have to take the motor back out to fit one,

At the moment I could still fit it with a little bit of work I could knock out the one welch plug and drill a tap the back of the head and fit the pipe to be on the safe side.

I'm every happy with the work they have done with this new motor a 1st class job by the looks of things, but i would still like to check for myself everything they are telling me is correct.

Also I did contact Nissan and asked them about it, but the didn't really know, they just said that they did eliminate a few things on the later motors as they improved on a few things but was still every unclear about it.

If anyone can help at all and give their thoughts that would be great.

Thanks.

Glenn QLD - Australia

YNOT
29th August 2011, 06:26 AM
Welcome to the forum Glenn, where in QLD are you?

I would leave the new motor as it is. Nissan would not have deleted the return pipe unless they had increased the internal drainage sufficiently that the pipe was not required.

Do you know what caused the demise of the old motor?

Tony

Bigrig
29th August 2011, 07:49 AM
G'day mate - Welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs to be found on the forum, so don't be shy and join to make the most of it. Enjoy!

Bob
29th August 2011, 07:50 AM
Welcome Glen. Join in and enjoy

GlennWilliam
29th August 2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone - ( So much to learn )

Glenn.

snicko
29th August 2011, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the forum Glenn. Lots of good people with plenty of info - Enjoy

Sir Roofy
29th August 2011, 12:20 PM
Welcome aboard glenn enjoy your stay

GlennWilliam
29th August 2011, 12:28 PM
Welcome to the forum Glenn, where in QLD are you?

I would leave the new motor as it is. Nissan would not have deleted the return pipe unless they had increased the internal drainage sufficiently that the pipe was not required.

Do you know what caused the demise of the old motor?

Tony

G'day Tony,

Thanks for the reply, I live in the Brisbane valley area in between Lowood & Gatton

in regards to the oil return pipe that's what i was thinking that Nissan may have increased all the internal oil & water supply to the motor.

I have had the Patrol from new and i remember getting it recalled in regards to something about not enough oil supply to the motor, I believe they just shortened the dip stick so you added more oil.

I don't really know what the real cause was to make it blow up but after doing a bit of reading it seems to be a common problem with the early ones. After I pulled the old engine down i found a hole in No.2 piston about as big as my little finger & No.3 had a bad crack across the top of it.

Also there was bad pitting to the top of the cylinder head on No.2 & No.3 - No.1 & No.4 looked to have no pitting but all 4 had a cracks from the glow plug hole to the value.

No.2 glow plug was missing about half the tip and looked like it could have been bouncing around a bit putting a few marks in top of the piston as well as i said the main hole about as big as my little finger.

I'm hoping to do some of the mods I'm reading about to try and stop it destroying the new engine.

Note: I have attached a few photos of my old cylinder head

Glenn.

YNOT
29th August 2011, 05:21 PM
That's a classic grenade failure, although it's usually pistons 1 and 4 that get the holes in them.
You definately need to do the engine saver mods to protect your new engine.

Tony