PDA

View Full Version : Aldi has 4wd stuff this week.

AB
27th August 2011, 07:56 PM
Just thought I would let you all know that ALdi has a lot of 4wd and camping gear on sale this Thursday.

Enjoy!

Woof
27th August 2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up AB, but no such thing as Aldi down here in the middle of nowhere mate....LOL

Finly Owner
27th August 2011, 08:29 PM
oooohhhh.............

AB
27th August 2011, 08:57 PM
My mates dad bought that winch many years ago and swears by it. I would love to test one out. Atleast it has brakes...lol

Clunk
27th August 2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up AB, but no such thing as Aldi down here in the middle of nowhere mate....LOL

not sure if there's any such thing as ALDI up here in the big smoke either Doggy lol

Silver
27th August 2011, 10:20 PM
Hmmm I see azaleas are on special. Thanks for the heads up!

They make a nice bush in a shady acid position Plasnart :-)

T0nka
29th August 2011, 09:53 AM
My mates dad bought that winch many years ago and swears by it. I would love to test one out. Atleast it has brakes...lol

I have heard similar reports

AB
29th August 2011, 10:43 AM
I'm very tempted to get one actually.

"Apparently" they are the same make as Ironman ones and after reading a lot of positive reviews on the net about them I am tempted even more!

Here's the specs below...

Minimum line pull rating: 4300kg
5.5HP/4.0KW series wound motor
Remote control hand grip with built in wireless isolation switch and 3.7m lead
Certified to AS1418.2
Includes protective gloves and line dampener
Gear Train: 3 stage planetary
Cable: 28m x 8.3mm wire
Clutch: Sliding ring gear
Braking: Automatic in drum
Fairlead: 4 way roller
Waterproof solenoid control with heat proof coated wires
Battery isolation switch to avoid battery drain
Metal gear box and motor casing
Full metal tie bars
Battery leads: 3.5 gauge

Maxhead
29th August 2011, 10:59 AM
I'm very tempted to get one actually.

"Apparently" they are the same make as Ironman ones and after reading a lot of positive reviews on the net about them I am tempted even more!

Here's the specs below...

Minimum line pull rating: 4300kg
5.5HP/4.0KW series wound motor
Remote control hand grip with built in wireless isolation switch and 3.7m lead
Certified to AS1418.2
Includes protective gloves and line dampener
Gear Train: 3 stage planetary
Cable: 28m x 8.3mm wire
Clutch: Sliding ring gear
Braking: Automatic in drum
Fairlead: 4 way roller
Waterproof solenoid control with heat proof coated wires
Battery isolation switch to avoid battery drain
Metal gear box and motor casing
Full metal tie bars
Battery leads: 3.5 gauge

Have you got one yet???? LOLOL

Sir Roofy
29th August 2011, 12:44 PM
Reckon you should get one andy if you dont like it ill give you a slab for it pml

AB
29th August 2011, 12:54 PM
Doors open 9am Thursday at all Aldi stores.

Come see me at 8:55am at the Bayswater Aldi at the front of the doors holding a stick and wacking people who come near me....lol

Sir Roofy
29th August 2011, 01:00 PM
More mate find another one

Airstrike
29th August 2011, 03:30 PM
The local Aldi here come out to meet you before doors open and hand u a numbered ticket so there is no fighting inside the shop lol.

dasemm
29th August 2011, 03:45 PM
wonder if they will do a 12000lb with synthetic rope at some stage..

Sickballs Racing
29th August 2011, 04:53 PM
I got one last time, only down side is that the power leads were to short and didnt reach the battery and the mounting bolts weren't long enough to go through the bull bar. luckily arb bull bars come with all of this and luckily i kept them. Apart from that I have never had to used it other than a trial run. I got it to pull me through a rutted section to make sure it would get me out of a sticky situation.. and for $400, it gets two thumbs up!

AB
29th August 2011, 05:06 PM
I got one last time, only down side is that the power leads were to short and didnt reach the battery and the mounting bolts weren't long enough to go through the bull bar. luckily arb bull bars come with all of this and luckily i kept them. Apart from that I have never had to used it other than a trial run. I got it to pull me through a rutted section to make sure it would get me out of a sticky situation.. and for $400, it gets two thumbs up!

Good to hear mate, thanks for the feedback!

belzi82
29th August 2011, 08:13 PM
Doors open 9am Thursday at all Aldi stores.

Come see me at 8:55am at the Bayswater Aldi at the front of the doors holding a stick and wacking people who come near me....lol

mmmmm just please don't hit my folks please they will be there (Bayswater) on my behalf!!

AB
29th August 2011, 08:26 PM
I can't promise anything but maybe give me their description and if they are in the way from the front door to the winch then I'll just give them a slight elbow nudge...lol

belzi82
29th August 2011, 08:57 PM
I can't promise anything but maybe give me their description and if they are in the way from the front door to the winch then I'll just give them a slight elbow nudge...lol

mmm but would you really nudge Pamela Anderson????

big_fletch
1st September 2011, 07:54 AM
I'm getting one of these winches today at lunch so will post some pics of it tonight.. They look to be of good quality, might even order some dyneema rope for it as well lol

Sir Roofy
1st September 2011, 08:29 AM
Good stuff fletchy. I'll be heading in today as well but not getting a winch. Got my eyes on the 2t ratchet straps.

im going up to aldi shortly for the mulch and maybe a light

big_fletch
1st September 2011, 08:29 AM
Good stuff fletchy. I'll be heading in today as well but not getting a winch. Got my eyes on the 2t ratchet straps.

Ahh yes I saw those as well, also looks like something I might buy.. Got nothing to secure stuff to roof rack atm

AB
1st September 2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks a lot Fletch, Timbo and I are sitting here right now contemplating getting one or not...lol

Decision has been made to try it out....2 year warranty is not bad!

Time to get the Aldi wacking stick out....lol

Bob
1st September 2011, 09:03 AM
Hi Guys. If you cant get one in your Local Aldi Store . Bendigo Aldi might have . PM me and I will get for you.

AB
1st September 2011, 09:58 AM
Geez, lucky we got there early....lol

Dozen's of people started to turn up and Timbo and I had to asses the potential winch buying competition. We sussed out our competition and pushed in the front of the line. It's hard to push out senior ladies with those trollys though...LMAO

There were at least a dozen winches for sale and they were all snapped up within 3 minutes. I had to bear hug 2 winches whilst Timbo went to get a trolley...lol

Below is the photo of our competition assessment. I thought we were ok with competition but then suddenly out of nowhere a lot of phantoms appeared and were snagging winches left right and centre. I then had to pick up 2 boxes of winches like a mad man and fend off the seaguls hovering all around me...LMAO

big_fletch
1st September 2011, 10:32 AM
God I hope there is some left when I get down there at lunch lol

Sir Roofy
1st September 2011, 11:19 AM
havnt any pics but that crowd was nothing,the one in moe was deadly,2minutes to opening and the trollys where shunting back and forth when the doors opened it was a death crush to get through ---pml nomads every where

big_fletch
1st September 2011, 01:30 PM
Well good news, I just picked up my winch now just gotta fit it lol.. All looks to be of good quality

AB
1st September 2011, 01:38 PM
I'm surprised you haven't installed it already...lol

Timbo
1st September 2011, 01:43 PM
Can't wait to install the winch.

Bought an air compressor from Aldi too.. $100! Looks the goods.

dasemm
1st September 2011, 01:45 PM
so are the aldi winches the same as the supercheap "ridge ryders" as they are having a sale on them as well.. 12000lb with rope for $525

big_fletch
1st September 2011, 01:51 PM
Haha dw AB it will be installed before the weekend is up.. I saw the air compressors but funds didn't stretch that far lol.. I want to convert the steel wire to dyneema rope with a hause fairlead as well but that can come later

AB
1st September 2011, 02:11 PM
so are the aldi winches the same as the supercheap "ridge ryders" as they are having a sale on them as well.. 12000lb with rope for $525

No these are only 10,000lb with wire not rope. I heard a couple of bad reviews on those ones which doesnt really mean much but only heard good things with the Aldi ones and a 2 year warranty proven to replace by other users seems like It's worth a try.

By no means will mine be used to pull out my Patrol knee deep in mud and will most likely need to use a snatch block a lot of the times but I really wanted this to do some light solo missions in my area to lightly get me out of trouble with smaller bogs or stuck in ruts on axles, etc.

Not to be used for pulling up 45 degree rocky hills or knee deep in clay...lol

I also want to use mine for clearing the property. I have shiploads of stumps all over the property down the hills and It's too hard to access with the kanga or the Patrol.

Big bon fire at Ab's coming up!!!

big_fletch
1st September 2011, 02:41 PM
No these are only 10,000lb with wire not rope. I heard a couple of bad reviews on those ones which doesnt really mean much but only heard good things with the Aldi ones and a 2 year warranty proven to replace by other users seems like It's worth a try.

By no means will mine be used to pull out my Patrol knee deep in mud and will most likely need to use a snatch block a lot of the times but I really wanted this to do some light solo missions in my area to lightly get me out of trouble with smaller bogs or stuck in ruts on axles, etc.

Not to be used for pulling up 45 degree rocky hills or knee deep in clay...lol

I also want to use mine for clearing the property. I have shiploads of stumps all over the property down the hills and It's too hard to access with the kanga or the Patrol.

Big bon fire at Ab's coming up!!!

I always try to use a snatch block back to car just because it halfs the load..
Big bon fire you say Haha, ill bring a slab and my swag LMFAO

AB
1st September 2011, 04:26 PM
Plenty of winches in the Grovedale store if anybody's desperate for one. I bought the 2 x 1t ratchet straps for $20. Bargain!

They looked pretty good those straps mate, I could have spent up a storm there today If i had enough money...lol

Timbo
1st September 2011, 05:25 PM
I always try to use a snatch block back to car just because it halfs the load..
Big bon fire you say Haha, ill bring a slab and my swag LMFAO

Sounds like a plan. Bring some of those BBQ chicken wings too mate haha.

ManBoy
1st September 2011, 05:47 PM
My dear wife went and picked up the Aldi winch today with the kids as a fathers day pressie but I can't let the kids know to I know until Sunday! I might have a peek when they go to bed.
She said there were 9 left at the local Aldi at 3pm this arvo so I guess some Aldi stores might get more than others.

AB
1st September 2011, 06:56 PM
Great fathers day prezzie!!!

belzi82
1st September 2011, 07:14 PM
Mum and dad just called to say that they bought my chrissy pressie today from Aldi. I don't know if I can wait to then to found out what they got. And they said there were no "weirdo's" at Aldi (Bayswater) this morning

Timbo
1st September 2011, 07:44 PM
The air compressor is an absolute BEAST for $100.. phwoar!!

It's pretty damn massive. I've seen many other cheap compressors, and also some $200+ ones but they all look crappy. I was shocked when I took it out of the bag it comes with.

Pumped a tyre up on the car that looked a bit down. Did a fine job. Slower compressor but with a higher volume of air. Pretty darn quiet and well made if I do say so. Comes with an assortment of attachments for blowing up air matressess, footballs and other blowy up things (giggity).
All in all, im happy as a pig in brown stuff. $100.. can't go wrong.

big_fletch
1st September 2011, 07:58 PM
How many litres per minute Timbo?

I believe it was 150L per minute?? Timbo to confirm

AB
1st September 2011, 08:02 PM
I believe it was 150L per minute?? Timbo to confirm

Yep 150L per minute.

Mum and dad just called to say that they bought my chrissy pressie today from Aldi. I don't know if I can wait to then to found out what they got. And they said there were no "weirdo's" at Aldi (Bayswater) this morning

They obviously didn't see me there Bel...LMAO

Rallyant
1st September 2011, 08:39 PM
They were all gone by the time i got there at 2:00 this arvo, They did the ring around and there were none left at Ringwood, Croyden, Kilsyth, Ftree gully, etc. Found 3 left at Sth Yarra, the chapple street Aldi, so I went and grabbed one there.
Probably still a couple left there if anyone's keen. There isn't much demand on winches in the city :) plus its a bitch of a carry back to the car with limited backing close to the shop!

AB
1st September 2011, 08:55 PM
I had to pick up two at once to secure my place which near killed me and then helped 3 senior ladies put there's into their trolley. Near killed my back!!!

ManBoy
1st September 2011, 09:11 PM
Great fathers day prezzie!!!

Yeah i am not complaining! I guess thats what you hope for when you convince the wife and kids that a trip in the 4wd is an awsome way to spend a Sunday.

big_fletch
1st September 2011, 09:53 PM
Well Guys i couldnt wait haha, already have my winch mounted in the bar.. Opened everything up, winch motor looks well greased, solenoid well sealed ect.. Few pics of everything getting fitted up

belzi82
1st September 2011, 10:03 PM
Well Guys i couldnt wait haha, already have my winch mounted in the bar.. Opened everything up, winch motor looks well greased, solenoid well sealed ect.. Few pics of everything getting fitted up

Looking really good!!!!

big_fletch
1st September 2011, 11:42 PM
Is the drain hole pointing down fletchy? Make sure it is otherwise trouble with a capital T. Looks great mate!

Sure is mate, dont want it filling with water now lol

big_fletch
1st September 2011, 11:56 PM
No worries thanks for that mate, might double check tomorrow just to be sure!

nowoolies
1st September 2011, 11:57 PM
question 1 what the blazzzes is aldi ?????

question 2 do they sell spiders A B ....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

nowoolies
1st September 2011, 11:58 PM
winch looking good mate

you gunna need it , with no front wheels ....lol sorry hahahahaha

big_fletch
2nd September 2011, 12:01 AM
winch looking good mate

you gunna need it , with no front wheels ....lol sorry hahahahaha

Hahaha should probably get my prioroties right as i have the winch bolted up but not the swivel hubs?? No front wheel drive makes hill climbs and mud holes a *****!! LOL

nowoolies
2nd September 2011, 12:03 AM
Hahaha should probably get my prioroties right as i have the winch bolted up but not the swivel hubs?? No front wheel drive makes hill climbs and mud holes a *****!! LOL

not long now and agatha is back on the tracks

big party then hahahahahahaha

big_fletch
2nd September 2011, 12:12 AM
not long now and agatha is back on the tracks

big party then hahahahahahaha

Haha yer ill say

Warnie
5th September 2011, 12:39 PM
Hey Guys Aldi at Carindale (Brisbane South-East) Still has 13 winches left if anyone is keen.

Bigrig
5th September 2011, 12:50 PM
Hey Guys Aldi at Carindale (Brisbane South-East) Still has 13 winches left if anyone is keen.

What sort are they again??

Warnie
5th September 2011, 03:04 PM
4300kg (~9500 pound), with steel cable, $399, 2 year warranty. They look good actually

AB
5th September 2011, 03:25 PM
I put mine on Bluey on Saturday.

Had to remove all the gearing and rotate it around to mount on the front of the bar.

Had a good look inside and it double thumbs up from me. I resealed everything back with copper silastic, etc just incase.

It works well and very handy with the remote control too.

Time will tell though I guess....lol

I was a little bit annoyed that the fairlead holes don't line up with the winch mount holes and I had to buy longer bolts but all in all a good product so far!

Bigrig
5th September 2011, 03:35 PM
I put mine on Bluey on Saturday.

Had to remove all the gearing and rotate it around to mount on the front of the bar.

Had a good look inside and it double thumbs up from me. I resealed everything back with copper silastic, etc just incase.

It works well and very handy with the remote control too.

Time will tell though I guess....lol

I was a little bit annoyed that the fairlead holes don't line up with the winch mount holes and I had to buy longer bolts but all in all a good product so far!

Photos please boss man!!! Sounds too good tone true ... not fussed on the steel cable (would prefer plasma), but for that price, you'd run the steel into the ground and upgrade later ...

ManBoy
5th September 2011, 05:03 PM
I had a look at mine yesterday and the winch will bolt straight onto the standard GU steel bar but the fairlead won't fit. You could modify the fairlead but it would require drilling extra holes and grinding down the fairlead, I wasn't keen to do this.
I rang the customer support number and explained the issue and they said that I would have a replacement fairlead in the mail by the end of the week so I'm pretty happy with that. I got the impression that I wasn't the first person to call because the woman I spoke to seemed to know all about it. I didn't even have to put my angry voice on.

AB
5th September 2011, 05:20 PM
I had a look at mine yesterday and the winch will bolt straight onto the standard GU steel bar but the fairlead won't fit. You could modify the fairlead but it would require drilling extra holes and grinding down the fairlead, I wasn't keen to do this.
I rang the customer support number and explained the issue and they said that I would have a replacement fairlead in the mail by the end of the week so I'm pretty happy with that. I got the impression that I wasn't the first person to call because the woman I spoke to seemed to know all about it. I didn't even have to put my angry voice on.

The bottom two holes of the fairlead fit with the holes on the bar and the winch but the height of the top holes are about 100mm off to match up with the bullbar / winch holes.

Is that what you mean?

Might have to make a call myself...lol

AB
5th September 2011, 05:21 PM

Just read your post again. Yes Timbos GU bar didnt fit with the fairlead either...

patch697
5th September 2011, 05:33 PM
Photos please boss man!!! Sounds too good tone true ... not fussed on the steel cable (would prefer plasma), but for that price, you'd run the steel into the ground and upgrade later ...

Ill have one too while your at it Bigus..........................hahahahahahahahaha

ManBoy
5th September 2011, 05:58 PM
The bottom two holes of the fairlead fit with the holes on the bar and the winch but the height of the top holes are about 100mm off to match up with the bullbar / winch holes.

Is that what you mean?

Might have to make a call myself...lol

I'm not sure how your bar is set up but with mine the top 2 bolts for the winch body are supposed to hold the fairlead into the space on the bar through the 2 bolt holes in the middle of the fairlead. The fairlead I got is too wide to even fit into the space provided in the bar because of the way the 2 centre bolt holes are further apart from the 2 holes above and below. If the fairlead body was a simple rectangle shape it would fit.

dasemm
5th September 2011, 06:16 PM
I had the same issue on my nissan steel bar, I took the winch back and got a refund. You can buy one off of ebay for $60+ if you want..

cambo
5th September 2011, 07:04 PM
Yeh ive been on the phone to motozone since last week , managed to sort it out eventually with the manager there ,and after talking with their winch specialist i was told to drill new holes.

Sort of explained that i am not prepared to drill into my new bar when 99% of all fairleads fit without this. Anyhow he came to the table with a replacement fairlead and offered to send out replacements to other people with issues with the original fairlead.
Good result , they seemed happy to help sort out the problem after the issues were explained.

Bigrig
5th September 2011, 07:34 PM
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, however have been doing some research ... what I am about to say is based on comments provided to me post inspecting and testing both these current Aldi (winches specifically) "specials" and others that have shown up in recent history such as the TMax ones ... this is NOT to say don't buy them and is not my opinion nor recommendation in anyway, and I certainly appreciate everyone's right to make a decision based on affordability and requirement ... but here goes:

After having heard about these last week, I thought I'd suss them out a bit more, as generally when it appears to good to be true, it usually is. The figures mentioned below are demonstrative of a wide brand of 'no name' products that have hit our shores of late (in the last 24 months), and are not solely aimed at these winches ... what I will say though is that the rumour going around was that these were "the same" (replica's) as the Ironman products and that is absolutely NOT the case, with Ironman posting a notice to all resellers ensuring them of the fact - they are distancing themselves from them as much as possible, not because of direct competition, but because of low grade build and product quality which they believe may harm their reputation and brand. Excerpt below from comments received ...

"In the past the cheap winches come in via places like ALDI, and if they fail you will get your money back - but usually they don't fix them as the 'manufacturer' as such doesn't exist - they are simply a branded product supplied by the distributor that the vendor (ALDI in this example) takes the risk on for the warranty - sometimes you have to kick up a song and dance to get your money though, as you need to prove to what is essentially a supermarket for groceries that your 4WD product failed etc. At least getting your money back is better than buying some of the cheap winches from eBay and being stuck with them. That said, when they fail will be when they are under load, and when they are under load is more than likely when you're in a pickle!!!

I would not be surprised if the winches were from one of the manufacturers who supply the more reputable brands here in Australia, however the build quality is simply not up there. Firstly, whilst there are regualtions etc in place, I (like most other suppliers) don't trust many Asian manufacturers to scrap winches and other products that do not meet strict quality control. Furthermore, and specific to these types of winch "specials", if the case hardening on the gears was not up to specification (most of these products, although they look fine on visual inspection, do not have hardened casing on the gears which means they will chew out through normal use very quickly, let alone under load where they will fail completely) or the resistance through the field windings on the motor is less than an approved standard, etc, etc, people will find they "get what they pay for" and the product they purchased as a safety device becomes not much more than a paperweight after 1 or 2 uses - the reason items become cheap is through demand, through demand they become a commodity item, and becoming a commodity item means there is plenty of competition to push the price down due to volume of sales (for any and every product) - winches are NOT a commodity item as yet, and production cost is not high due to the materials used necessarily, it's high due to the stringent quality control and specification/design regulation levels they must meet to ensure they are fit for purpose (Trade Services Act 1974) ..

I'm sure that the little buggers slip them out through a side door to some little weasel with a (big) rickshaw to send off to us gullible Aussies. ALDI's are a prime example - we need to apply common sense, so think about it - if they were going out the door that quickly, wouldn't they want to keep stocking them?? The reason they can't is that they have picked up a bunch of pallets through "whomever", and have a product they can flog at a bargain basement price. Once they're gone, they're gone - until the next batch - which will probably have different branding on them, just like the TMax gear 12 months ago.

For the same money you can buy a good quality hand winch which is much more versatile, and should never let you down. I'm not saying buy our products, which most of your viewers won't as they aren't even in the state, but certainly be wary of these ones."

I'd be very careful of the application you intend to use these winches for - like most winches, they look good hanging off the front of the car and are used rarely, but when you do need them the most, the last thing you want is for them to fail and subsequently your rig, or worse still a person, is damaged in the process due to inferior quality ... the two blokes I spoke to are both well recognised in the Queensland and Australian 4WD'ing fraternity, and another thing they did mention was if people were to buy them, only ever use them with a block to lessen the load - this may see some form of usable life and will lessen the potential for catestrophic failure under load ...

Food for thought only ...

Choice always remains yours, however, for an extra $250 to see yourself into an entry level 9000lb, industry recognised winch, I know what I'll be doing ...

ManBoy
5th September 2011, 07:38 PM
Yeh ive been on the phone to motozone since last week , managed to sort it out eventually with the manager there ,and after talking with their winch specialist i was told to drill new holes.

Sort of explained that i am not prepared to drill into my new bar when 99% of all fairleads fit without this. Anyhow he came to the table with a replacement fairlead and offered to send out replacements to other people with issues with the original fairlead.
Good result , they seemed happy to help sort out the problem after the issues were explained.

Sounds like cambo has done all the ground work for the rest of us because when I rang they just said no worries give us your details and we'll send it. So cheers cambo

Bigrig
5th September 2011, 07:43 PM
Update to my last post - just received. Again, I'm regurgitating information provided to myself, so happy to be informed otherwise ...

"Someone mentioned that these winches "meet Australian Standards" specifically when questioned - only one problem - there is no Australian Standard for vehicle recovery winches. There is Australian Standards for lifting cranes, hoists and winches in a workplace, but not for vehicle recovery. Not as yet anyway."

more food for thought ...

ManBoy
5th September 2011, 08:36 PM
While appreciate the input bigrig i am still happy with my Aldi winch purchase...for now. I am a strongly beleive in the " you get what you pay for" mentality thats why my expectations aren't that high.
I know people who have Aldi winches on Landcruisers and swear by them, admitatedly these winches would be differant from year to year.
Both my lawnmower and line trimmer are cheap chinese specials and are both going strong after 4 years so sometimes you just don't know.
In reality if I was going to pay $1000 for a winch, I wouldn't, I spend the money on something else.
I'm not going to rely on the winch in a life or death situation so for the little use it'll get i'm sure it will be fine.

Bigrig
5th September 2011, 08:39 PM
By the way - he also mentioned problems with insurance if you had a failure of the device and made a claim (as they would inspect the winch) ... would be a sad state of affairs if you just rolled your pride and joy on a steep recovery only to have your claim knocked back on the basis of inferior quality/design failure of a winch ...

Sorry - don't mean to harp on it, but just would hate for anyone on here (or anywhere else for that matter) to be caught short when the proverbial hit the fan!!

I'll put the topic to sleep from my end now ................. honest!! lmao

Bigrig
5th September 2011, 08:44 PM
While appreciate the input bigrig i am still happy with my Aldi winch purchase...for now. I am a strongly beleive in the " you get what you pay for" mentality thats why my expectations aren't that high.
I know people who have Aldi winches on Landcruisers and swear by them, admitatedly these winches would be differant from year to year.
Both my lawnmower and line trimmer are cheap chinese specials and are both going strong after 4 years so sometimes you just don't know.
In reality if I was going to pay $1000 for a winch, I wouldn't, I spend the money on something else.
I'm not going to rely on the winch in a life or death situation so for the little use it'll get i'm sure it will be fine.

Absolutely understand mate - I'm not the one making the comments, just the one passing them on for reference ... I sincerely hope everyone here proves this information 100% wrong, and 3 years and 50 recoveries later they are all going strong (have no ego in that space whatsoever) ... just concerns me that as you say, "I'm not going to rely on a winch in a life or death situation" ... that's specifically when you want assurance the winch is up to the task and fingers crossed, won't fail ...

If you look at the video of Airlocker Avenue the last time dhuck and I went to Landcruiser Park, if I had of used a winch to get myself out of that poo (bad situation) that failed part way through the process, I would have been in a world of pain with a rolled truck, a fully taught winch cable (that I'd have to cut off the tree protector), and nowhere to go but down ...

As said, just passing on food for thought ... your decision in this wonderful democracy (so called) of ours as to what you buy and how you use it old mate.

Woof
5th September 2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for sharing this info with us mate, that what this forum is all about, if we see or hear something we post it up here for all to see as we all care about each other on this forum......well done to you Scotty..

Bigrig
5th September 2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks for sharing this info with us mate, that what this forum is all about, if we see or hear something we post it up here for all to see as we all care about each other on this forum......well done to you Scotty..

Thanks mate - that was the intent. Certainly not promoting other products, just figure we are all pretty much mates now, and I don't have a habit of letting mates make unqualified decisions ...

That said, I'll be the one kicking myself a year from now when they are all working like bottlers and I didn't get one!!!! lmao

ManBoy
5th September 2011, 09:21 PM
Bigrig i'm sorry if i sounded like i was having a go at you because i wasn't i just wanted to state that i do know that it isn't a top shelf winch and so i don't expect to get 10 years out of it.
As far as insurance is concerned i think you'd be crucified by an insurance company if you rolled your car down a hill regardless of the quality of your winch. I don't really plan on putting myself, my family or my car in that situation in the first place.

AB
5th September 2011, 09:34 PM
Good post Scotty and agree to 99% of it.

I bought mine for pulling up logs from the downside of hills and for light recovery's (stuck on diffs in trenches, light pulls from mud, etc). A small bit of security for my local tracks when going out solo.

By no means should you use these to pull up monster hills clearly maxing the weights, etc or knee deep in clay.

For $400 it will do the job for a few years. I have had nothing but good experience from Aldi too (especially on returns of items).

For what It's worth - I have a cheap chinese chain saw which has to date done about a thousand or so cuts, dropped it off the roof of the house, falling off the roof rack a zillion times, cut through stumps bigger then the blade and it has never missed a beat for 5 years solid. This thing gets an absolute punishment atleast once a week. I am a heavy chainsaw user...lol

I paid $89 for this thing and seen my friends "$1700 farm boss go back to the shop 3 times in 5 years.

I could buy 20 of these chainsaws to match one Farmboss purchase and I would hope the same rule will apply for intended use of the Aldi winch versus a $1600 Warn.

I won't even go into my wizz bang Aldi carpet vac....Man this thing certainally sucks your pants off...lol

It's a russian Roulette with cheap chinese products but one thing I will stick by is that Aldi has always refunded products within the warranty and anyone who says they don't is full of it.

Having saying that though I 100% agree with your post and the correct application and limit of this winch and be very cautious (as with all winches) the capabilities of your product.

Airstrike
5th September 2011, 09:40 PM
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, however have been doing some research ... what I am about to say is based on comments provided to me post inspecting and testing both these current Aldi (winches specifically) "specials" and others that have shown up in recent history such as the TMax ones ... this is NOT to say don't buy them and is not my opinion nor recommendation in anyway, and I certainly appreciate everyone's right to make a decision based on affordability and requirement ... but here goes:

After having heard about these last week, I thought I'd suss them out a bit more, as generally when it appears to good to be true, it usually is. The figures mentioned below are demonstrative of a wide brand of 'no name' products that have hit our shores of late (in the last 24 months), and are not solely aimed at these winches ... what I will say though is that the rumour going around was that these were "the same" (replica's) as the Ironman products and that is absolutely NOT the case, with Ironman posting a notice to all resellers ensuring them of the fact - they are distancing themselves from them as much as possible, not because of direct competition, but because of low grade build and product quality which they believe may harm their reputation and brand. Excerpt below from comments received ...

"In the past the cheap winches come in via places like ALDI, and if they fail you will get your money back - but usually they don't fix them as the 'manufacturer' as such doesn't exist - they are simply a branded product supplied by the distributor that the vendor (ALDI in this example) takes the risk on for the warranty - sometimes you have to kick up a song and dance to get your money though, as you need to prove to what is essentially a supermarket for groceries that your 4WD product failed etc. At least getting your money back is better than buying some of the cheap winches from eBay and being stuck with them. That said, when they fail will be when they are under load, and when they are under load is more than likely when you're in a pickle!!!

I would not be surprised if the winches were from one of the manufacturers who supply the more reputable brands here in Australia, however the build quality is simply not up there. Firstly, whilst there are regualtions etc in place, I (like most other suppliers) don't trust many Asian manufacturers to scrap winches and other products that do not meet strict quality control. Furthermore, and specific to these types of winch "specials", if the case hardening on the gears was not up to specification (most of these products, although they look fine on visual inspection, do not have hardened casing on the gears which means they will chew out through normal use very quickly, let alone under load where they will fail completely) or the resistance through the field windings on the motor is less than an approved standard, etc, etc, people will find they "get what they pay for" and the product they purchased as a safety device becomes not much more than a paperweight after 1 or 2 uses - the reason items become cheap is through demand, through demand they become a commodity item, and becoming a commodity item means there is plenty of competition to push the price down due to volume of sales (for any and every product) - winches are NOT a commodity item as yet, and production cost is not high due to the materials used necessarily, it's high due to the stringent quality control and specification/design regulation levels they must meet to ensure they are fit for purpose (Trade Services Act 1974) ..

I'm sure that the little buggers slip them out through a side door to some little weasel with a (big) rickshaw to send off to us gullible Aussies. ALDI's are a prime example - we need to apply common sense, so think about it - if they were going out the door that quickly, wouldn't they want to keep stocking them?? The reason they can't is that they have picked up a bunch of pallets through "whomever", and have a product they can flog at a bargain basement price. Once they're gone, they're gone - until the next batch - which will probably have different branding on them, just like the TMax gear 12 months ago.

For the same money you can buy a good quality hand winch which is much more versatile, and should never let you down. I'm not saying buy our products, which most of your viewers won't as they aren't even in the state, but certainly be wary of these ones."

I'd be very careful of the application you intend to use these winches for - like most winches, they look good hanging off the front of the car and are used rarely, but when you do need them the most, the last thing you want is for them to fail and subsequently your rig, or worse still a person, is damaged in the process due to inferior quality ... the two blokes I spoke to are both well recognised in the Queensland and Australian 4WD'ing fraternity, and another thing they did mention was if people were to buy them, only ever use them with a block to lessen the load - this may see some form of usable life and will lessen the potential for catestrophic failure under load ...

Food for thought only ...

Choice always remains yours, however, for an extra $250 to see yourself into an entry level 9000lb, industry recognised winch, I know what I'll be doing ...

Scotty

When you say another one for $650 where and what are they. I almost got an aldi winch today but the mrs told me to harden up........

dasemm
5th September 2011, 10:27 PM
lol, there is the problem , aldi selling a 9500lb for $399, supercheap discounting i believe the same winch to $416, and also discounting a 12000lb winch from $900 ish to $525, tigerz, ironman etc around the $900+ mark.. how do we know what we are really buying if they are re-badged..

Bigrig
5th September 2011, 10:58 PM
Bigrig i'm sorry if i sounded like i was having a go at you because i wasn't i just wanted to state that i do know that it isn't a top shelf winch and so i don't expect to get 10 years out of it.
As far as insurance is concerned i think you'd be crucified by an insurance company if you rolled your car down a hill regardless of the quality of your winch. I don't really plan on putting myself, my family or my car in that situation in the first place.

As said mate - all good and understood. I'll say again, those comments weren't mine - they were simply extracted from 2 separate individuals that I spoke to, and as per all of our comments on here, are simply their opinion ... I just felt it relevant enough (and under scrutiny, logical enough) to warrant my time in posting up here to potentially "assist" with a decision to buy one.

Airstrike
5th September 2011, 11:00 PM
thats the issue I have. I know all to well how easy it is for someone to rebadge and sell the same product. Even if the Aldi one isnt the same as Ironman then what about the others? Maybe comes down to factory sourcing ifthe Aldi winch changes form time to time. Personally I am looking into the TUFF STUFF Winch in the states (but from factory).

Bigrig
5th September 2011, 11:01 PM
Good post Scotty and agree to 99% of it.

I bought mine for pulling up logs from the downside of hills and for light recovery's (stuck on diffs in trenches, light pulls from mud, etc). A small bit of security for my local tracks when going out solo.

By no means should you use these to pull up monster hills clearly maxing the weights, etc or knee deep in clay.

For $400 it will do the job for a few years. I have had nothing but good experience from Aldi too (especially on returns of items).

For what It's worth - I have a cheap chinese chain saw which has to date done about a thousand or so cuts, dropped it off the roof of the house, falling off the roof rack a zillion times, cut through stumps bigger then the blade and it has never missed a beat for 5 years solid. This thing gets an absolute punishment atleast once a week. I am a heavy chainsaw user...lol

I paid $89 for this thing and seen my friends "$1700 farm boss go back to the shop 3 times in 5 years.

I could buy 20 of these chainsaws to match one Farmboss purchase and I would hope the same rule will apply for intended use of the Aldi winch versus a $1600 Warn.

I won't even go into my wizz bang Aldi carpet vac....Man this thing certainally sucks your pants off...lol

It's a russian Roulette with cheap chinese products but one thing I will stick by is that Aldi has always refunded products within the warranty and anyone who says they don't is full of it.

Having saying that though I 100% agree with your post and the correct application and limit of this winch and be very cautious (as with all winches) the capabilities of your product.

Fully agreed mate (on the Chinese products thing), but I'm not expecting my pants sucking vacuum to pull my 2.5 tonne pride and joy up a hill ... nor do I think my $89 chainsaw breaking down (the chain could come off any of them) is going to cost me $25000 like replacing my car would ...

I've really opened a can of worms haven't I?? lmao ... sorry about that

THEY'RE NOT MY OPINIONS PEOPLE - DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!!!!! That said, I won't be getting one considering what I'd be using it for ...

Bigrig
5th September 2011, 11:04 PM
Scotty

When you say another one for $650 where and what are they. I almost got an aldi winch today but the mrs told me to harden up........

Not sure - assume he meant the entry level Ironman with Steel Cable ... considering the TigerzII 12000lb winch (which came third overall in the 4WD Action Comparo, and first for water resistance) with 28 metres of Plasma (not steel), hook, gloves, damper, tree protector and rated shackles is only $895 then I would assume cheaper ones with steel cable in a 9000lb category would be out there ...

Airstrike
5th September 2011, 11:06 PM
Not sure - assume he meant the entry level Ironman with Steel Cable ... considering the TigerzII 12000lb winch (which came third overall in the 4WD Action Comparo, and first for water resistance) with 28 metres of Plasma (not steel), hook, gloves, damper, tree protector and rated shackles is only $895 then I would assume cheaper ones with steel cable in a 9000lb category would be out there ...

copy copy. I give up maybe I will wait for the new front bar then work out whats doing.... So I am folding my cards in this round.

Bigrig
5th September 2011, 11:08 PM
thats the issue I have. I know all to well how easy it is for someone to rebadge and sell the same product. Even if the Aldi one isnt the same as Ironman then what about the others? Maybe comes down to factory sourcing ifthe Aldi winch changes form time to time. Personally I am looking into the TUFF STUFF Winch in the states (but from factory).

I think (and this is only conjecture) that his comments were intimating that the ones that are "sometimes available" as extra product selloffs are in fact the same as those sold under other badges here, but ones that haven't met (completely) the quality standards in place, and rather than scrapping them, they stick them to the side and wait for someone to come along and take a select batch for resale under a different label ... i.e. they are probably quite sound, but just haven't met some part of the overall design spec - this is why he suggested that when they do come through in waves like these ones, there is only a finite number of them and they are never to be seen again ...

Again - that is only pure speculation - not something that was stated ....

I need a new shovel - the one I used earlier to dig this hole is well and truly worn out already!!! lmao

Airstrike
5th September 2011, 11:11 PM
LMAO. Yeah your right. When an order has been over stocked I always get the goodies that dont get to the states dirt cheap.

BTW I would throw the shovel and call in the dingo lol

Silver
6th September 2011, 12:09 AM
I'm taking the time to record my appreciation for the respectful way different opinions, and conflicting information, has been explored here.

Well done, and take a bow.

That's why I am a regular here.