PDA

View Full Version : How old is old?

DX grunt
26th August 2011, 02:48 AM
Many of you won't remember this, but 36 years ago, yesterday, I joined the work force.

Yes folks, I left my small home town in Victoria, with a population of only 200 people, at the tender age of 17 years and 1 month and joined the Navy.

Recently got my 25 year National Medal - only 6 years late :furious: - and in 4 years, get my 35 year National Medal :Yahoo!:.

Only 13 more tax returns and I'll be a full time troller, doing the full monty camping thing, spending my kids inheritance - then life begins. lol

Take care out there.

Rossco

AB
26th August 2011, 08:54 AM
Thats what I''m planning on doing in my retirement days Rossco.

Pack up, kick the kids out, get a decent camper and off we go!!!!!!

Only to return to Victoria in the summer of course....lol

nowoolies
26th August 2011, 09:04 AM
is`nt this what growing old is about
spending the kids inheritance ....damn im over half way with the spending hahahahahahah
i wonder if i can get them to contribute to it lol

Bigrig
26th August 2011, 09:07 AM
Yep, I'll be into the SKI fund also I reckon ... I'm planning on retiring around 50, not because I can afford it, but with my accident prone history I'm not sure if I'll make it another 15 years to 65!!!! lmao

fixer982
26th August 2011, 12:43 PM
Hi Guys. I sometimes wish I was already retired, so I could spend more time Trolling, but I'm a way off yet. Like Rossco, my working life is 39 years, and today I have just left my farewell presentation from this place to move to another employer and a bigger challenge. Not sure if I could stop working altogether as I enjoy it so much, and I think I would get bored after a while. I hope I can work well into my 70's but just throttle back the hours. I guess that's because I sit on my ass most of the day. Besides, I already spent my kid's inheritance on an ex-wife, so I need to work a while......LMAO

AB
26th August 2011, 12:59 PM
HI already spent my kid's inheritance on an ex-wife, so I need to work a while......LMAO

Funny stuff....lol....my ex wouldnt give the engagement ring back to me so I stole her mower....LMAO

I still crack up laughing everytime I start that puppy up on Sundays and I treat it like &*^%!!!!

fixer982
26th August 2011, 01:12 PM
Funny stuff....lol....my ex wouldnt give the engagement ring back to me so I stole her mower....LMAO

I still crack up laughing everytime I start that puppy up on Sundays and I treat it like &*^%!!!!Sounds like a great deal. Had me laughing over that.Mine left me with the dog, cat and 8 year old. The best mate who was bonking her once said to me "No hard feelings?". I told him "No worries, take over payments" Now he works away from home most of the time. I got off lightly. So how is your day going, Andy? Mine is going from great to even better. Just off out to lunch with the crew for the last time, then home to pack for a 4WD trip to Spalding.

AB
26th August 2011, 01:17 PM
Day is long and dragging mate....Just hanging out for 5pm!!!

I'm putting in a great post and rail fence for the front of the property from timber that I got off Ebay from an old church that got pulled down...Pretty excited about finishing it this weekend.

Installing it the old school way of drop saw, hammer and chisel for the holes and hand digging the footings in rocky clay...lol

After that I'm off to try out the new turbo locally on Sunday!!!

Been getting some great weather down here for a change. Kind of like the bears coming out of hibernation from the caves us Victorians...haha

Sir Roofy
26th August 2011, 08:03 PM
Day is long and dragging mate....Just hanging out for 5pm!!!

I'm putting in a great post and rail fence for the front of the property from timber that I got off Ebay from an old church that got pulled down...Pretty excited about finishing it this weekend.

Installing it the old school way of drop saw, hammer and chisel for the holes and hand digging the footings in rocky clay...lol

After that I'm off to try out the new turbo locally on Sunday!!!

Been getting some great weather down here for a change. Kind of like the bears coming out of hibernation from the caked out ves us Victorians...haha

hope you have a great day andy,and you have company,heard of a chap who went on his own recently
in your bush and got raelly stuck he walked out,2days later he retrieved his rig no winch or recovery gear

Woof
26th August 2011, 08:43 PM
Only 36 years ago...........................I started 40 years ago, first job was in a meatworks cutting open the stomachs and washing them, $29.50/week and thought I had it made.

Sir Roofy
26th August 2011, 08:46 PM
i started work 45yrs ago as a grease monkey assistant @$16.50 aweek

belzi82
26th August 2011, 09:02 PM
Okay guys I started working 11 years ago and I was earning $22 a hour (shift work). OH I WISH I COULD RETIRE!!!

growler2058
26th August 2011, 09:18 PM
Only 36 years ago...........................I started 40 years ago, first job was in a meatworks cutting open the stomachs and washing them, $29.50/week and thought I had it made.

i started work 45yrs ago as a grease monkey assistant @$16.50 aweek

Strewth you two i thought i was bad 24 myears ago hahahahhahahahahahhaha and on $286 p/w haha

DX grunt
26th August 2011, 09:32 PM
My first job as a school kid was working at a servo - 50 cents an hour! And a box of matches was 2 cents.

Enough! hahahahah

HippoNZ
26th August 2011, 10:22 PM

I still crack up laughing everytime I start that puppy up on Sundays and I treat it like &*^%!!!!

hahahhahaa Andy this just made my week, not to mention the now wet keyboard haha classic mate you got one back on her!

AB
27th August 2011, 06:52 AM
Talking about starting work a long time ago...My old lady has been cutting hair for exactly 50 years this year. Started off at 16 years old and still cutting to this day.

50 bloody years in the same industry cutting hair...lol...Her hands are pretty much stuffed these days.

Finly Owner
27th August 2011, 09:45 PM
left high school in 1986 got a job for a contractor to Bris City Council mowing and whipper snipping $250.00/wk good wages back then.

Tim

the ferret
27th August 2011, 10:08 PM
Yer all young'ns, I spent 45 years in the earthmoving game and retired about 5 years ago.
I now spend almost every waking moment making tyre deflators or light brackets or whatever, and in my spare time (whenever that is) I hop on here.
And a top forum it is to. Rod.

Finly Owner
27th August 2011, 10:23 PM
Hey Rod, was it top, bottom or all hinges you needed as stock? And are all models the same?

Tim

the ferret
27th August 2011, 10:34 PM
Hi Tim, mostly the R/H bottom, GQ and MQ MK are all the same.
Tops are interchangeable from L to R.
Cheers Rod.

the ferret
27th August 2011, 10:48 PM
Talking about starting work a long time ago...My old lady has been cutting hair for exactly 50 years this year. Started off at 16 years old and still cutting to this day.

50 bloody years in the same industry cutting hair...lol...Her hands are pretty much stuffed these days.
Funny you should say that Andy, A mate of mine has been cutting hair for the same length of time, a few weeks ago he slipped in the shower and broke both legs.
Now he only cuts hair on crutches LOL.