PDA

View Full Version : Upsizing Wastegate Actuator

wojtech
25th August 2011, 03:49 PM
My GQ which I bought a few months ago is a TD42 and has an Schwitzer Turbo on it with Turbo Dynamics plumbing, plus other bits and pieces which aren't relevant to my question.
After putting bigger tyres on the truck (35") I noticed it was a little sluggish compared to before, this is always going to happen going from 32" to 35", but it made me play around a bit with the motor to see if there are things that could make it go better.
First thing I did was remove the secondary aircleaner, that made it go a bit better but not much.
Next I decided to test the boost and the only way I could get the gauge connected was via the wastegate actuator line, that ment that my test was without wastegate connected.
The truck ran a lot better and I got 12psi boost, it also blew hardly any black smoke, prior to testing black smoke poured out of the old girl esp at low revs and full throttle.
Obviously disconnecting the wastegate made a huge difference, but I know its not the best idea to run without one.
The current actuator states 7.5psi. I think this should be a bit higher than that.
I can't really afford dyno costs at the moment but a $100 actuator I can, anyone see any problems with just bolting a 10-12psi actuator on my turbo and going for it??

YNOT
25th August 2011, 04:33 PM
First of all you need to find a better place to plumb in your boost gauge as you are getting a false reading by disconnecting the wastegate.

Secondly it sounds like your engine is over fuelling (black smoke with wastegate connected-no smoke with wastegate disconnected) so getting more boost into it is essential as your EGT's will be excessive while it's smoking.

Assuming your actuator is working correctly (won't know until you can check the boost with the actuator connected) all you need to do is fit an adjustable bleed valve. This is a lot easier than replacing the actuator and is adjustable.

This is what you need; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TURBOSMART-NEW-BOOST-TEE-MANUAL-BOOST-CONTROLLER-NEW-/200644654383?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb75a752f

Tony

wojtech
25th August 2011, 05:33 PM
That looks pretty cool, I assume that this device limits the boost pressure getting to the wastegate actuator???
The boost gauge I was using was temporary (under windscreen wiper) but I will get a T-piece to do the test with the wastegate connected this time (just too far from town to run in and grab today).
What you say about EGT's is interesting coz when I start running at 110km/h or more esp when towing my engine water temp comes up a little, from about 1/4 to about 1/2 on the gauge.
So could the lack of boost is making the whole engine hotter not just the exhaust??

YNOT
25th August 2011, 05:38 PM
Yes it could but don't EVER try to set diesel mixtures by the engine temperature, by the time your engine temp gauge registers an increase in temperature you could be looking for a new engine. EGT's change very quickly dependant on load and throttle position and boost.
I would recommend investing in a pyro gauge asap.

Tony

wojtech
25th August 2011, 08:49 PM
Pyro has been on my mind for a while now, but I still reckon my truck can take a bit more air.

MudRunnerTD
26th August 2011, 01:44 AM
Hey mate,

Tony is on the money mate, The variable Boost controller will supersede the preset actuator and let you boost up to something more realistic like 12 or 13. The standard 7.5 is very conservative and it sounds like someone had been playing with your fuel or never did trying to get power out of it without adjusting the boost???? That is like trying to make a sandwich with one hand tied behind your back.

Tony is also on the money that it was well and truly over fuelling and as soon as you gave it a bit of boost it sorted itself out.

Your crossover pipe should have a bung in it near the intake manifold that you should be able to install your boost guage into and will be teh best spot for it. Where you ahve it installed now is where the boost controller should be going.

The BEST advice that Tony gave you above though is GET A PYRO GUAGE ASAP. Do NOT under estimate this advice mate, it will cost you an engine, once your Pyro is setup you will never drive the same again. The Nissan gauge is JUNK.

All up you should be able to get a Pyro, a Boost controller and a Dyno tune for under $500 drive in drive out. Save your cash and spend it there.

Good luck and love your TD42.

Cheers MR

wojtech
29th August 2011, 05:05 PM
Hey, thanks for the advice.
Couldn't find the bung you are talking about maybe thats because its an aftermarket crossover pipe. When I get the gauge I will just drill and tap one in I've got a 1/8 BSP tap.
I did however put a "T" into the actuator line an ran the temporary boost gauge off there. It maxxed out at 10psi so not to bad.
Will this turbo I have handle the 12-13psi I had it measured at before if I get the adjustor??

YNOT
29th August 2011, 05:14 PM
The bung is only there on the factory cross over pipe.
Most turbo's will handle 14Psi no problem at all.

Tony

wojtech
29th August 2011, 05:55 PM
Mine only made 12psi with no wastegate should I be looking for a leak??? Or is it possible the wastegate spring is too soft as I noticed the mine is a lot easier to open by hand than my mates standard Tojo on his 1HZ?? I have been told that they can open without the actuator just from exhaust pressure.

wojtech
29th August 2011, 06:01 PM
By the way can you guys see my photo on my posts, because I can't. I just recently updated it and noticed that it wasn't there anymore.