PDA

View Full Version : Novice at pretty much everythng 4x4

Intenseracer
19th August 2011, 09:59 PM
Hi guys i signed up a few weeks ago after getting some advice from a mechanic which i didn't quite think was right and as it turned out it wasn't. Big thanks to YNOT for his knowledge and power of explenation which helped me when reading some of the posts.

I've got an '04 GU 3.0 wagon and it's been a great truck and i have made the choice to just fix things as go because at this stage i can't see myself getting rid of it.

It is preety much used as people mover getting the 5 chiluns from sport to sport and school. We had the intention of doing the 4x4 thing but i know nothing about it and would not have clue where to start. Would love to go out and learn a few things before i venture out but time is the issue.

At the moment looking at getting wheel bearings and brakes done so again looking at posts and getting hold of that good advice. Have doen CV's on smaller cars before and brakes but think Wheel bearings may be to much, so finding a mechanic that is not going to rip me off is gonna be fun.

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawd rop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

cheers

Wayne
Ipswich QLD

growler2058
19th August 2011, 10:04 PM
Glad the forum helped mate! If you've done cv's n brakes before bearings should be a piece of pi55 for you to do. Theres a thread here but I'm useless on tappacrap copying and paste etc but use search for useful threads an I reckon there's some good info there

AB
19th August 2011, 10:11 PM
Welcome to the forum Wayne, good to have you onboard.

There's a lot of members up your way mate so if you see a post about a 4wd meet up then the members up there would be ideal to tag along and learn off.

Feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Clunk
19th August 2011, 10:18 PM
G'day Wayne and welcome aboard mate, as Abhas already said there's plenty of guys over your way who have regular get togethers if you want to learn the ropes of 4bing mate. And there's definitely a thread here about wheel bearings but for the life of me, I can't seem to find it at the mo.

big_fletch
19th August 2011, 10:28 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, always good to have another member aboard.. As said if you have done CV's then wheel bearings should be easy for ya.. I did mine today in fact and its easy as..
Here is the tread on wheel bearing posted by Tony
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv&highlight=wheel+bearings

Fletcha

Finly Owner
19th August 2011, 10:40 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Wayne.

Check out this link: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5286-Index-to-useful-threads and see what can help you there.

Tim

Silver
19th August 2011, 10:58 PM
yep. I'm no mech genius, but patrol front wheel bearings and brake pads are easy enough.

If you do the caliper sliders, don't clean any of the boots and other rubber parts in kero. They will increase dramatically in si2e, but do shrink back. Super glue works to repair tears in the boots. Use a smear of appropriate lube on the sliders.

Front rotors can be bought cheaply on line, along with pads, and the bits to replacenjust the wheel bearings and seals, or kits that start at the swivel hubs.

Swivel hub bearings and CVs a bit more fiddly, but the hardest part for me was getting the long axle back in :-)

I understand that time being short you'd get a mechanic to do it. Don't know any out Ipswich way being a Northsider myself. Good luck.

Bigrig
20th August 2011, 09:06 AM
G'day mate - Welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs to be found on the forum, so don't be shy and join to make the most of it.

Being you're at Ipswich, we should try to catch up on one of the upcoming trips and share a yarn and a coldie!!

Enjoy!

Sir Roofy
20th August 2011, 09:15 AM
welcome to the forum wayne enjoy your stay
depending where you are you might be able
to do a w/end run with some of the members
were always doing something some place

Maxhead
20th August 2011, 10:18 AM
G'Day Wayne and welcome to the forum mate

timbar
21st August 2011, 01:41 AM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Intenseracer
24th August 2011, 05:19 PM
Cheers guys thanks for the warm welcome. Have had look at a few threads and the link from Big Fletch very helpful. Looking forward to joining in and when time suits i will look at going on some outings.

:SNruQWn369624407::SNruQWn369624407::SNruQWn369624 407:

Dhuck
24th August 2011, 05:38 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Phil21
24th August 2011, 05:39 PM
HI Mate, have some experience but not with a Nissan, just did one side wheel bearing, not bad at all, prep is the key, rags, grease, the option to go get replacements if req'd, smokes nearby and someone around to make you the coffee's and give you some support- Ah, if only..

Give it a go mate, you just might suprise yourself, and get a good helping of satisfaction and save plenty of $$$$$$ in the process..

Bob
24th August 2011, 06:26 PM
Welcome Wayne. Glad you have been helped as that is our aim.

frenzy
24th August 2011, 10:01 PM
Welcome aboard mate.