PDA

View Full Version : 15V to 14.8v AGm battery - Too high?

AB
18th May 2024, 03:09 PM
I just noticed my alternator is starting to put out 15v on start up and after 10 or so mins driving it would drop back to 14.8.

Yellow top Optima AGM, pretty new batteries.

Is that too high or is my alternator on its way out?

Might time for a new one and keep this as a spare for the Simpson anyway.

Winnie
18th May 2024, 06:23 PM
I can't answer your question mate but have you checked multiple meters to make sure it's not a misread?

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

AB
18th May 2024, 06:26 PM
I can't answer your question mate but have you checked multiple meters to make sure it's not a misread?

Yeah definitely mate, I too was questioning my gauges and used two different multis and all three were same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TPC
18th May 2024, 09:11 PM
I am not an expert but I believe an AGM cherge voltage up to 15v is good.

TPC
18th May 2024, 09:11 PM
Darren probably knows more

AB
18th May 2024, 10:38 PM
I am not an expert but I believe an AGM cherge voltage up to 15v is good.

Yeah I’ve read a lot of things on the internet with AGM and it’s such a mix bags of lollies with advice.

I understand AGM are ok with that charge but it’s only just come on so why I guess is my question.

MudRunnerTD
19th May 2024, 03:03 AM
Hmmm. Sounds High. A quick google tells me what i already though and that it may be a faulty Voltage regulator, if this is the case it is probably a very simple fix and any Auto Elec could sort that out quickly.

I did read though it could be a faulty Earth or Neg point. disconnect the battery and disconnect the earth off the Alternator and clean and reconnect and see if that fixes it.

Here is a quick vid to show removing the voltage regulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBvtBoceq00

This is also a very good vid mate. Watch this from the start but also the 8:50 minute mark he speaks about the Voltage Regulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bK0De9XOP0

I would not be buying a new Alternator just yet.

AB
19th May 2024, 02:16 PM
Thanks mate, it does sound high but looking the Optima’s website says it’s in range but, at highest point that’s for sure.

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/05/31.jpg

AB
19th May 2024, 02:23 PM
Interesting they also mention up to 15.6v for a rapid charge.https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/05/32.jpg

Winnie
19th May 2024, 05:12 PM
It's definitely something you need to get sorted out before the big trip though mate!

Cuppa
19th May 2024, 05:32 PM
Agree with Winnie.
It’s the fact that something has changed which is of concern.

AB
19th May 2024, 05:37 PM
For sure, I’m definitely not saying it’s ok.

I might even just take it to an auto elec to properly check out to be sure.

AB
19th May 2024, 05:42 PM
Like Dazz said my money is on regulator.

It happened in Toolangi when I first got the Gq and my battery looked like a balloon!

MB
19th May 2024, 06:15 PM
If ever Suspect on an integral part, replace with new and keep the Suspect as a spare….onboard in this Adventure scenario [emoji106][emoji106]
Will also immediately diagnose itself once the new part is installed [emoji736][emoji736]

MB
19th May 2024, 06:30 PM
FWIW: Been running Optima yellow tops D27 & 31’s for well over a decade. Not saying they can’t handle it but have never personally ever had a TD42’s alternator, Jaylec, Baxters, Quickazz ever go beyond 14.8v prior to sludge bastardisation or after. [emoji51]

AB
21st May 2024, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately it looks to be the regulator which was expected.

Very lucky in hindsight as ive been driving it to work recently to ensure its reliability before the big trip so thats bloody lucky it happened here!

BrazilianY60
21st May 2024, 09:12 PM
Yep, always need some shakedown runs, even some small trips if possible.

pollenface
21st May 2024, 10:45 PM
I did read though it could be a faulty Earth or Neg point. disconnect the battery and disconnect the earth off the Alternator and clean and reconnect and see if that fixes it.

Good point. The earth is probably the most overlooked asset of any vehicle.