PDA

View Full Version : Question for my used Nissan Patrol 2003 3.0 Diesel wagon < fuel additive question ? >

game123
3rd April 2024, 08:36 AM
hi All.
I am newbie to 4x4 world. Just started driving my used nissan patrol 3.0 2003 st model , which overall appears to be in a good condition but just heard that disel needs additive . I always drive petrol car all my life so a bit confused on this. I am based in OZ. so need to know what is your advice for me.

Shall i use a fuel additive, if so which brand seems better . I researched and found two fuel doctor and chemtech.

need help from the Pros here !

cheers
kam

Coldcomfort
3rd April 2024, 11:31 AM
I put Penrite thru mine about twice a year. I don't know if it makes a difference but it doesn't seem to hurt.

pollenface
5th April 2024, 02:37 AM
I did some research a few years ago and settled with "fuel doctor" to mitigate water & algae. I keep a sauce bottle in my driver door and squirt a bit in each time before adding fuel

Don't buy it from SCA in 1L bottles, get it online/ebay in 4L bottles (heaps cheaper)

mudski
5th April 2024, 09:26 AM
Additives NOT are needed unless you are traveling remote or have a servo that sells contaminated fuel. But if you insist on using an additive. Castrol fuel doctor I think is the best. Many moons ago, in a previous job we have five different branded diesel additives, Fuel doctor, Chemtech Diesel Power, Flash Lube I think was one and two others I cannot remember. five test tubes were filled with diesel and the same amount of water into the fuel. We then poured the appropriate amounts of additives into each tube and the Fuel Doctor came out the best of all five. All worked as should I will add, we found the Fuel doctor dispersed the water slightly better. Though.

Once a year i do a shock treatment of the tanks on my Patrol just to be sure as mine is not a daily driver and can sit for a month sometimes before it gets used. and after everytime I do this shock, I will change the fuel filter out also after that tank of fuel is pretty much empty.

Hodge
5th April 2024, 03:51 PM
I religiously add Fuel Doctor each diesel fill. Have been doing it for years.
Our truck diesel mechanic at work has a shelf of cut in half diesel filters in chronological order from 2 vans after starting with this stuff and as time went on they were cleaner and cleaner...
As pollenface said, buy in bulk.

Brissieboy
6th April 2024, 08:32 AM
Additives are needed unless you are traveling remote or have a servo that sells contaminated fuel.

I think you might have meant "Additives are NOT needed . . . "

mudski
8th April 2024, 08:32 AM
I think you might have meant "Additives are NOT needed . . . "

Ah yep. I shoulda proof read my response hey!