PDA

View Full Version : Why are Kangaroo's so dumb?

Coldcomfort
28th March 2024, 12:19 PM
Close call this morning. It was dark o'clock and stupid old skippy ran directly into the front of my car. No damage but it made think that our coat of arms mascots are two of the dumbest creatures on the planet.

pollenface
28th March 2024, 01:49 PM
Evolution takes millions of years, not a couple of hundred. They haven't evolved to navigate traffic yet.

TPC
28th March 2024, 02:15 PM
I disagree, Emu's are the dumbest animals on the planet. Bloody kamikaze feather dusters

Hodge
28th March 2024, 02:57 PM
More humans on the road nowadays are far more intellectually challenged than any roo.

mudski
28th March 2024, 03:31 PM
I disagree, Emu's are the dumbest animals on the planet. Bloody kamikaze feather dusters

Yeah I agree with that. My last trip on the Strezlecki track I remember seeing an Emu way out in the field, easily 200 metres away. This emu spots my car, I can see the panic in the way its dancing around, and somehow it manage to end up right in front of me! It has a gazzilion miles of land around it could have gone anywhere to safety. Nope! Right in front of me it went.

Plasnart
28th March 2024, 04:28 PM
Evolution takes millions of years, not a couple of hundred. They haven't evolved to navigate traffic yet.

But ravens (or crows if you wish) are as smart as anything. They hardly ever get hit by cars while feeding on roadkill. They really do have road smarts.

MB
28th March 2024, 09:35 PM
Headlights Gentlemen [emoji120][emoji3590][emoji3590]
Dip when needed and or Toot to Spook [emoji106][emoji106] [emoji736][emoji736]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
28th March 2024, 09:38 PM
Moth’s ALWAYS seek naked flames [emoji91] bright lights [emoji736][emoji736]

pollenface
29th March 2024, 05:22 PM
But ravens (or crows if you wish) are as smart as anything. They hardly ever get hit by cars while feeding on roadkill. They really do have road smarts.

Ravens and crows are two different species
https://birdfact.com/articles/raven-vs-crow

Plasnart
29th March 2024, 08:00 PM

Yes mate but most people incorrectly call ravens crows. That’s why I said “(or crows if you wish)”. :smiley_thumbs_up:

TPC
30th March 2024, 08:18 AM

You have to be raven mad if you think that.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/whats-the-difference-between-ravens-and-crows#:~:text=Relatives%3A%20Crows%20and%20ravens% 20are,belong%20to%20the%20Corvidae%20family.

pollenface
30th March 2024, 04:38 PM
Yes mate but most people incorrectly call ravens crows. That’s why I said “(or crows if you wish)”. :smiley_thumbs_up:

I've always been led to believe they were different.

Some people call Magpie Larks; Peewees and Silvergulls; Seagulls.

You have to be raven mad if you think that.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/whats-the-difference-between-ravens-and-crows#:~:text=Relatives%3A%20Crows%20and%20ravens% 20are,belong%20to%20the%20Corvidae%20family.

I don't get your point? Both links we shared shows ravens and crows as two different species.

Plasnart
30th March 2024, 05:04 PM
I've always been led to believe they were different.

Some people call Magpie Larks; Peewees and Silvergulls; Seagulls.

I don't get your point? Both links we shared shows ravens and crows as two different species.

I think we’re in furious agreement with each other PF! They’re different as far as I know, but just saying most people call ravens crows even though they’re not. :cheers:

Is a magpie lark what I would call a mud lark? Haven’t heard of peewees personally. And seagull is just a colloquial name for all gulls in general I think. I’m only familiar with two types of gulls being the Pacific Gull and the silver gull. And yes I call silver gulls seagulls.

https://youtu.be/uSlB4eznXoA?si=Itxc1DvkKv0cbfEb. :animierte-smilies-t

MB
30th March 2024, 06:26 PM
Good to see someone’s having another good crack at solving the issue, albeit for massive financial gain globally [emoji23]

https://youtu.be/W9klRlKoEQk?si=xJk-CHnoZVvimw3j

Read some studies from the University of Adelaide some many decades ago about an Australian well intentioned product, their findings were that the decibels created were not within our Roo’s hearing range, somewhat 50% say more intrigued to investigate [emoji51]

Honestly hope they get it right, although….. Self Driving vehicle programmer’s with Big Coin [emoji383] have temporarily given up trying to map Indigenous Aussie Animals sporadic movements [emoji51]
Stay Safe, Drive Safe TEAM [emoji120][emoji3590][emoji3590]

MB
30th March 2024, 07:56 PM
FWIW: 100% of ‘Black Panther’ sightings in Victoria are genuinely well meaning retarded Pot-Heads [emoji22]
Many Wallabies around our neck of the woods get down low and go go go, dark as, looks like they’re running [emoji182][emoji182]

Plasnart
30th March 2024, 08:08 PM
FWIW: 100% of ‘Black Panther’ sightings in Victoria are genuinely well meaning retarded Pot-Heads [emoji22]
Many Wallabies around our neck of the woods get down low and go go go, dark as, looks like they’re running [emoji182][emoji182]

Some years ago I was driving through Otways pastureland and doing about 70kmh out of my RHS peripheral vision my eye caught a big black cat, I turned my head and saw it momentarily and then I was past. WT absolute F?? I know what I just saw but can’t really believe it. I pulled over, did a U-ey and and went back. And holy shit there it was again!! The landowner wag had erected a life-sized black panther shadow board on a small island in the middle of his dam. Haha, good one mate you got me!

MB
30th March 2024, 08:26 PM
Bugger me [emoji50][emoji23]
Many years ago I drove the Nulla in under 3 days, zero alcohol yet the SpaceCrafts lingering above told me to upgrade my CPAP machine [emoji51]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/03/58.jpg

Told them to go get rooted and low and behold, I ended up getting a wicked root [emoji123][emoji3590]

https://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2024/03/59.jpg

MB
30th March 2024, 09:11 PM
I feel compelled, to tell another Bananas Pot-Head Conspiracy story [emoji23]
Many years ago, up around say ‘Noojee Township’ younger Dudes had witnessed a ‘Sheeps’ carcass laying in the fork of a tree awaiting its Panther return [emoji23]
I DARE say it was merely a Poor Lamb [emoji207] via Australia’s Most Beautiful Eagle [emoji1659][emoji182][emoji182][emoji3590][emoji3590]

pollenface
2nd April 2024, 05:33 PM
Bugger me [emoji50][emoji23]
Many years ago I drove the Nulla in under 3 days, zero alcohol yet the SpaceCrafts lingering above told me to upgrade my CPAP machine [emoji51]

My best effort was Kelmscott WA to Yungaburra FNQ in 4 day and 5hrs. No alcohol. No drugs. Plenty of sleep. When I'd get fuel I'd fill a couple of jerry cans, when I'd stop for a piss I'd tip the jerry cans in and drive past the next servo.

In all my trans-continental journeys I always see HEAPS of roos in the NT, pretty much gotta drive at 60-80kph at night, maybe the road warms their feet

MB
2nd April 2024, 08:59 PM
Sounds like a solid low speed after hours traveling plan PF Mate [emoji106][emoji106]
Many years ago though, again locational as you’ve kindly mentioned. Roo’s by the dozens were eating man made water flow/green grow deliberately alongside the elevated highways around Roma/Emerald.
Pulled back to say 30kmph on dusk, sadly wacked, ran into my passenger door and nearly took my boat off its trailer.
Decided after that day that night driving in certain regions was simply a numbers destruction game [emoji51][emoji3590][emoji3590]

Arfa Brayne
5th April 2024, 05:37 PM

Yeah - but they post a lookout.............. "CAAR, CAAR! "

Trouble is they still get cleaned up by trucks and motorbikes.

As far as roos go, the best way to avoid hitting them is not to have tar melting lights pointing at the road.
How it works .........
You're a roo eating nice green shoots in the culvert beside the HWY.
You hear a noise, look up and "BAM" you're blinded by the spotties
You panic, and the first impulse is to run - but the only place you can see to run to, is a well lit open area with a line running down the middle.
The next "BAM" is followed by a driver cursing the "stupid" roo, and the panel damage.

For 20+ years my brother and I have run "raker lights"
Rakers are spread beam driving lights that point out onto the sides of the road at about 20 degrees from straight ahead.
How it works...........
The driver sees some roos eating nice green shoots in the culvert beside the HWY
The roo hears a noise, looks up and is partly dazzled by the lights.
The roo panics and runs for cover in the visible and illuminated area on the side of the road
As the driver nears and slows (because the Rakers have let them see the roo) the roo hears the noise get closer - so runs further away off in the illuminated area to the side of the road.
The roo doesn't get mangled, the car doesn't get damaged, and the driver is thankfull for their cheap insurance of a set of raker lights.

Last roo I hit was in the late 80's - just before I fitted rakers. Every vehicle in the shed has a set. (even the wife's MX5)
Also works for wombats, wallabies, and cattle.
Goats, sheep and emu .......... = less effective, but helps.

AB
5th April 2024, 06:02 PM
They can’t go backwards though…

AB
5th April 2024, 06:04 PM

As far as roos go, the best way to avoid hitting them is not to have tar melting lights pointing at the road.
How it works .........
You panic, and the first impulse is to run - but the only place you can see to run to, is a well lit open area with a line running down the middle.
The next "BAM" is followed by a driver cursing the "stupid" roo, and the panel damage.

Rakers are spread beam driving lights that point out onto the sides of the road at about 20 degrees from straight ahead.
How it works...........
The driver sees some roos eating nice green shoots in the culvert beside the HWY
The roo panics and runs for cover in the visible and illuminated area on the side of the road
As the driver nears and slows (because the Rakers have let them see the roo) the roo hears the noise get closer - so runs further away off in the illuminated area to the side of the road.
The roo doesn't get mangled, the car doesn't get damaged, and the driver is thankfull for their cheap insurance of a set of raker lights.

Last roo I hit was in the late 80's - just before I fitted rakers. Every vehicle in the shed has a set. (even the wife's MX5)

Interesting post Arfa, makes sense.

Coldcomfort
8th April 2024, 12:21 PM

How it works .........

How it works...........

I think that you give Roo's too much credit.... :D

MB
9th April 2024, 10:23 PM
Sounds Like Top Aussie Advice, not only proven once, twice, but three times thrice, nicely….listen [emoji120][emoji3590][emoji182][emoji23]

m00nsky9
10th April 2024, 10:31 PM
Close call this morning. It was dark o'clock and stupid old skippy ran directly into the front of my car. No damage but it made think that our coat of arms mascots are two of the dumbest creatures on the planet.

Hey, animals don't adapt (or evolve) as quickly as humans do! Actually, this animal might just be sick and disoriented.