PDA

View Full Version : Window tint recommendation for GQ - Melb SE

PeeBee
12th February 2024, 10:51 AM
I need to replace the window tinting on the donor glass - its the old blue/purple stuff probably from early '90's and it looks horrible.

I am going with a tint that is uniform all round, not different levels of shade to remain within the legal max. I called into Tint a Car this morning, holey moley, $900 for 4 doors and rear window, plus $200 to remove.

Who has used an alternate with good results. Car is a GQ Dual Cab

Winnie
12th February 2024, 11:18 AM
He's taking the piss! I can't really help you with a suggestion but I wouldn't expect more than $600 all up.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

PeeBee
12th February 2024, 11:22 AM
He's taking the piss! I can't really help you with a suggestion but I wouldn't expect more than $600 all up.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Yes, I cant see the value either

Cremulator
12th February 2024, 08:01 PM
From memory I got my GU done - four doors, cargo side windows and rear barn doors - for $550 by tint-a-car, but I had it done in September 2019 before it started to get warm.
If you can wait, the cooler months tinting places are very quiet and will possibly give you a better price.

BrazilianY60
12th February 2024, 11:15 PM
As for removal, you can usually peel them (with patience) after the glue is heated. That could be either a heat gun or a few hours under the sun. The glue remnants on the window I was able to clean with isopropyl alcohol.

The windows I had to deal with were the barn door ones with the defroster. The once grayish tint film was already transparent from decades under the sun and the scratch protection paint over the metallic lines of the defroster didn't held up and came out with the film despite me being very careful. At least it seems that the film removed only the scratch protection paint and none of the metallic lines.

As for the new tint, I think in 2021 I had one installed on the wife's car, and it had a ceramic thingo added to it that really made a difference in temperature control. It was a bit more expensive, though.

PeeBee
13th February 2024, 08:29 AM
As for removal, you can usually peel them (with patience) after the glue is heated. That could be either a heat gun or a few hours under the sun. The glue remnants on the window I was able to clean with isopropyl alcohol.

The windows I had to deal with were the barn door ones with the defroster. The once grayish tint film was already transparent from decades under the sun and the scratch protection paint over the metallic lines of the defroster didn't held up and came out with the film despite me being very careful. At least it seems that the film removed only the scratch protection paint and none of the metallic lines.

As for the new tint, I think in 2021 I had one installed on the wife's car, and it had a ceramic thingo added to it that really made a difference in temperature control. It was a bit more expensive, though.

Many thanks, I am leaning towards the ceramic and there is a base coating and the supreme one. I am heading towards the better one, did the heat test with the panels under the same light box thing and the difference is there. I will have a go at the windows with the heatgun if its that simple, the IsoPropyl will be accessible from the paint shop.