PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox clutch fork replacement

PeeBee
3rd February 2024, 08:14 AM
Is it feasible or possible to replace a broken clutch fork without removal of a TD42 gearbox on the side of a track? Just considering if carrying a spare is wise? I have never heard of one failing but you never know. My gbox was a low milage - 40,000klm replacement when the chev was done, however with all the stories that are coming out of Brunswick Diesels of late, and my own discovery the engine was not a new crate motor but a reco in a new crate, I am wondering about the actual age of some of the parts used - the box could be much older for example.

MB
3rd February 2024, 05:54 PM
Attempted a similar scenario when a mates gearbox was out on a Tasmanian shed floor mid-adventures for clutch work.
Don’t personally believe it’s possible, albeit I am terrible at those puzzle [emoji3456] thingo Christmas gifts [emoji320] [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
3rd February 2024, 05:56 PM
Are the stories coming from the extended spigot/adaptor plate extra pressure possibly?

PeeBee
3rd February 2024, 08:36 PM
Are the stories coming from the extended spigot/adaptor plate extra pressure possibly?

No I am looking at weak points. this is an area we typically accept as 'never wears out or breaks', no problems now, just 'stitch in time stuff'. Could ruin a trip for one and all. Might consider packing a 5T hoist on the roofrack to be sure

pearcey
4th February 2024, 02:11 PM
Hey mate if it breaks,easy peasy, Start it in gear and shift as if it`s a 21 speed RoadRanger .
Done this a few times back in the day with breakdowns in the city. Switch off at the lights,stop signs, select first, start in gear and shift with rev selection.

PeeBee
4th February 2024, 04:10 PM
Hey mate if it breaks,easy peasy, Start it in gear and shift as if it`s a 21 speed RoadRanger .
Done this a few times back in the day with breakdowns in the city. Switch off at the lights,stop signs, select first, start in gear and shift with rev selection.

Yeah thinking of in the Simpson, could be a challenge!

pearcey
4th February 2024, 05:11 PM
Might be easier than having to pull the gearbox back far enough to put a new fork inaqs I`m pretty sure thats the only way it can be done.

MB
5th February 2024, 06:24 PM
Stress Less Philstar [emoji120] If you unfortunately break a Patrol clutch fork traversing the Simpson I’ll be a monkeys uncle [emoji22]
Besides, we’ll have a beach style sand anchor ⚓️ aboard the convoy/s and if we all pluck/join/plait our pubic hairs your weaponary hydraulic winches can run for 3 weeks straight to the Birdsville Pub [emoji3590][emoji3590]