PDA

View Full Version : Jerry cans.

jay see
16th December 2023, 11:26 AM
What's people's experience on the topic.

I should have a rear bar with dual jerry can holders before the Simpson trip.

Question is I've had this fuel safe one for several years now and it leaks. Should I replace the o ring or buy 2 new ones. Stick with the same brand or something different, plastic or metal?

Cheers..

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2023/12/7.jpg

PeeBee
16th December 2023, 11:49 AM
I would change the o'ring. The cans are well supported in a jerry can holder, so as long as the unit is not split it should be fine. Of course if you are concerned, retire it for a more non mobile life like a shed supply and buy two new ones. I have metal cans and will simply use them inside metal can holders. I have no preference for metal or plastic as long as they are manufactured to a recognised standard I guess.

MB
16th December 2023, 10:14 PM
Apologies Philstar, I’m going to have to honestly suggest turfing it [emoji22]
My experience with that exact same brand piece of shit can is the threads on the cap/can are a short use life [emoji2959]

EDIT: From nuffy experience, them exact placcy cans themselves were decent, the caps were pissweak though and expanded upon normal tightening/ambient/radiant [emoji3508] heat.
Be weary of the corrugated funnel too, they split on the tips and pour down your thighs whilst smoking [emoji377][emoji2959][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
16th December 2023, 10:51 PM
FWIW: Modern- Metal cans in this day and age DO need to be thoroughly flakey/gritty checked by oneself prior to relying on also [emoji120][emoji120]
Military Spec is an Absolute past quality dream [emoji42][emoji2959]

PeeBee
16th December 2023, 11:04 PM
FWIW: Modern- Metal cans in this day and age DO need to be thoroughly flakey/gritty checked by oneself prior to relying on also [emoji120][emoji120]
Military Spec is an Absolute past quality dream [emoji42][emoji2959]

Unsure where military spec came into the conversation, i am talking about Australian Standards. I agree the plastic cans are a challenge as they expand more than the metal units and ultimately you rely on a plastic cap and 5 cent oring for the seal - have had a few blow up like a stuck pig and pass/weep out the cap agree. The lid on the metal cans are more robust for sure, so buying new plastic may be the weaker option, but then again there are a lot of these units out there - comes down to choice I guess. If the plastic cans are made to a recognised 'standard' as applicable, maybe thats the brand to look at if going either plastic or metal.

MB
16th December 2023, 11:13 PM
Vertically carried/carted and or horizontally standards passed/fail [emoji736][emoji23]
In regards old school “cans” yours are true, modern wannabes are known for paint flakes and the like [emoji2959]

Brissieboy
17th December 2023, 09:32 AM
Most leaks from the cap area are caused by rough finish on the container spout (the surface where the O ring seats) so that the seal does not meet a good flat even surface. I have fixed a couple simply by dressing this surface. And O ring may also be chewed out a bit if it is real rough.