PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 improvement

powkers
15th November 2023, 10:40 PM
Hi Guys,

Here in Europe we are mostly swapping ZD30 to M52 or OM606... I want to avoid that for simplification reasons.
I have opportunity to buy blown ZD30 for like bottle of vodka :smile: and I thought if you have "idiot proof" kit for rebuild and improve ZD30?
If yes could you please share any links to kit recommended by you + any info if such modification will allow me to safely increase power a bit (170-180 HP).

Thanks in advance!

PS. I'm sure there are plenty of such discussions already happened here on the forum so any links I also appreciate.

Cheers!!!

mudski
16th November 2023, 07:21 AM
Don't waste your Vodka on an engine built for detonation. Unless is Russian Vodka, then tip it down the drain.:tongue: Especially if its the Direct Injection engine, Common Rail, AKA Common Fail, are a much better choice. I've read good words about a Benz engine swap, albeit a bit of a pain to do so.

powkers
16th November 2023, 11:00 PM
Thanks!
For me problem with swap is price (to make it good especially to work with automatic gearbox), other is complexity of solution. Most of people after swap are happy for performance and petrol consumption but they are having constantly problems with small annoying issues. I wan to avoid that.... but basing on what you are writing those ceramic pistols and "custom ZD30 rebuild kits" doesn't solve this engine problems :/
Not good I thought I can have easy solution
BTW: Vodka is cheap here ;)

mudski
17th November 2023, 07:21 AM
The only way to solve ZD engine problems is to swap it out. Been there done that....

BrazilianY60
17th November 2023, 08:46 AM
Dumb question here... I watch a lot of aussie YouTube channels (Skid Factory for one) where they swap engines and put Haltech ECUs in it. One of the ZD30 versions is electronic, isn't it? No aftermarket ECU for such things? Like to drop all emissions BS and focus in EGT, boost and A/F ratio?

pollenface
19th November 2023, 10:36 PM
just the usual, intake manifold removal and clean, catchcan, manual boost control, EGR blanking, fully welded intercooler, 3" exhaust, dyno tune,