PDA

View Full Version : TD42t oil filter difference

taslucas
5th November 2023, 10:51 AM
So the TD has two different oil filters (as I'm sure everyone in the world but me already [emoji28]). Are they interchangeable? In my wisdom I bought a four pack to save a few bucks [emoji28]

.......from under the great down under.

Plasnart
5th November 2023, 04:47 PM
So the TD has two different oil filters (as I'm sure everyone in the world but me already [emoji28]). Are they interchangeable? In my wisdom I bought a four pack to save a few bucks [emoji28]

Nope different sizes mate. Not sure about the threads but I've never tried. Buy a 4 pack of the 2nd filter and save even more! :D

Touses
5th November 2023, 08:02 PM
Don't sound right, mine are both same thread, one is simply a bypass filter.
Keep in mind it is in essence an agricultural engine, was originally for a tractor.
The Japanese are a frugal bunch.

Cuppa
5th November 2023, 08:05 PM
Not all TD42's have two different filters. Mine has two the same. Those with different filters each have different threads.

Touses
5th November 2023, 08:08 PM
Not all TD42's have two different filters. Mine has two the same. Those with different filters each have different threads.

OK! So the difference may be between black top and silver top donks?

AB
5th November 2023, 08:35 PM
99 onwards have different filters for some weird reason, they created it like a bypass filter and a different thread.

No idea why Nissan did that would love to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
5th November 2023, 08:36 PM
Don't sound right, mine are both same thread, one is simply a bypass filter.
Keep in mind it is in essence an agricultural engine, was originally for a tractor.
The Japanese are a frugal bunch.

What year is yours mate?

Cuppa
6th November 2023, 06:40 PM
99 onwards have different filters for some weird reason, they created it like a bypass filter and a different thread.

No idea why Nissan did that would love to know?

Mine is 2006. I've been told there was a fair bit of swapping things around post 2000. ?Using what was available at the time? Not possible to know what a vehicle has from it's build date. Same with belts. All the belt manufacturers show different sizes in their catalogues to what fit on mine.

Touses
6th November 2023, 06:49 PM
What year is yours mate?

Hi AB. Mine is plated June '97. I go back to black top/silver top seems to be the change over point.
Had a coupla hearties this evening, forum was cactus!!!!

taslucas
7th November 2023, 07:46 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies. Yep, it didn't take long to figure out the different thread. A quick trip to Supercheap and I was back on board. Mines built March 2001

mudski
8th November 2023, 10:41 AM
For some reason, Nissan decided to bring out the TD with two of the same filters in 2001, and then in 2002 reverted back to two different filters. Then brought it out again circa 2005, I think.

taslucas
10th November 2023, 05:24 AM
For some reason, Nissan decided to bring out the TD with two of the same filters in 2001, and then in 2002 reverted back to two different filters. Then brought it out again circa 2005, I think.My build date is early 2001 and has two different filters. But it makes sense that the engine would be assembled from parts made pre 2001.