PDA

View Full Version : Introduction from Bustapatrol

Bustapatrol
2nd November 2023, 01:25 PM
Hi Team,

Dropping you all a note to introduce myself. I've been a 4WDer for since I left school, heading out on many adventures with my mates in the 4WDs. This prompted me to purchase my first Range Rover (a 1990 SE with 3.9L v8, 2in lift, rear locker, bar and winch, rear bar with wheel holder and jerry cans). I know, most of you will all go "boo" but contrary to the widely held view, it was a reliable car. Over the years I owned 8 Range Rovers of varying capabilities. I still have a RR 1976 parked up in a shed. I got over the RR appeal and moved on to a Jeep Grand Cherokee v6 diesel with a 2in lift and mud tyres. Apart from that it was as stock as a rock and was able to go many places my mates much more heavily modified Pajeros, Patrols and Jeeps could go. I sold that Jeep when I hit my second mid-life crisis and bought an Audi, but I always had the itch to get back into the bush/beach/mountains.

I researched many reviews about the good, the bad and the ugly of the Nissan Y61 CRD. My mate has a very similar spec'ed 2016 model to what I wanted, which has performed faultlessly for about 5 years, with a mild tune at 20psi - so I went out with some trepidation and bought a 2009 CRD Patrol with 138Kkms on the clock. The original owner had gone mad at ARB and ticked about every option available, so it came with 2in lift, twin locked, ARB compressor, front & rear bars, Warn winch, UHF, long range tank, a second set of Mikey Thompson 33 tyres, etc.

That's where my happy story takes a turn. In the last 18months my Patrol has been on the back of a flatbed tow truck at least 4 times (hence my handle Bustapatrol). In the meantime, I have had several successful trips including a 10 day visit to Fraser Island (K'gari), Barrington Tops, Turon River, and Coffs Harbour, including a couple of puckering moments on Morbid.

I am reasonably handy with the spanners and I want to get more familiar with my Patrol so that I can fix it on the side of the road when I do a trip around Aus. So I am keen to learn from those of you who have already experienced the many pitfall of owning a Y61 CRD. Also interested to learn people's knowledge relating to upgrades, suggest preventative servicing, things to look out for, etc.

Cheers for now,
Bustapatrol

AB
2nd November 2023, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the forum Busta!!!

Dhuck
2nd November 2023, 03:45 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.