PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for running power to roof-rack?

taslucas
11th October 2023, 05:28 AM
Hello all, as the title suggests, I'm looking for some ideas of how to run power to the roof rack. I'm not too excited about drilling into the bodywork up high in case of water ingress. At the moment it will be for some led lighting on the rack but possibly a solar panel in the future too.
Any ideas or photos much appreciated [emoji106]

.......from under the great down under.

growler2058
11th October 2023, 06:24 AM
Drill a hole in the roof

Or run the cable through your barn door hinge side

jff45
11th October 2023, 06:56 AM
This is how I did mine for the solar

mudski
11th October 2023, 07:17 AM
Tis' how mine is....

PeeBee
11th October 2023, 08:50 AM
I had mine running out the corner of the front door pillar with a cut out in the pinchweld, was ok but looked crap. I changed to a hole in the roof with an aluminium junction box. This worked well and was heavily disguised behind the leg of the roofrack. Neve had an issue with water leaking and intended on simply putting a gromet in the hole if it ever needed to be removed. Ultimately it was not the easiest set up as it required the wiring to go inside the B pillar and the roof liner - ended up tearing the pillar plastic vinyl sheet. I like the idea of the rear cabin vent as its designed to shed water also.

jay see
11th October 2023, 08:58 PM
This is how I did mine for the solar

87392This is what I'm going to do (one day)
Tis' how mine is....
8739387394And this is how it is.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
12th October 2023, 07:04 PM
ARB sell a Gland specifically for this.

In the GQ I ran it up the B Pillar and out the top of the rear passenger Door for many many years. With the last big build I drilled a hole in the roof and happy with the result. The roof rack is welded to Mt body and is never coming off. Water will never get in. I remember MegoMonster had his roof drilled by the Dealership on his brand nee GU, blew my mind at the time, but the lights are there forever.

taslucas
15th October 2023, 08:05 PM
ARB sell a Gland specifically for this.

In the GQ I ran it up the B Pillar and out the top of the rear passenger Door for many many years. With the last big build I drilled a hole in the roof and happy with the result. The roof rack is welded to Mt body and is never coming off. Water will never get in. I remember MegoMonster had his roof drilled by the Dealership on his brand nee GU, blew my mind at the time, but the lights are there forever.What is it that ARB sell?

Rossco
16th October 2023, 02:37 PM
This is how i did it on the old GQ. . .87416

MudRunnerTD
17th October 2023, 06:03 PM
What is it that ARB sell?

Check out this link and scroll down to BaseRack Wiring

https://www.arb.com.au/roof-racks-carriers/roof-racks/baserack/accessories-mount-kits/#snippet-152532

Check out the gland. I could not find it intheir list but it exists, ask your local ARB.

taslucas
17th October 2023, 08:22 PM
Ahh! Nice