PDA

View Full Version : Removing carpet underlay

PeeBee
8th October 2023, 06:29 PM
I have jing pinged my floor and a second layer of closed cell foam, so want to remove the old hairy underlay off the back of the carpet - it has a vinyl layer between the carpet and underlay.87388

Cuppa
8th October 2023, 08:37 PM
Jing pinged?

PeeBee
8th October 2023, 09:06 PM
Its an acoustic deadener and also has some limited thermal ability. Its a 'weighted vinyl layer that can be moulded and stretched to the contour of the floor, wall, roof of a vehicle. I have done the roof lining, rear wall, floor, firewall and all doors, then laid a further layer of different insulation that wont absorb water either. Jing Ping wont absorb water. the fluffy stuff under the carpet is a bugger for that and can takes ages to dry out if it does get wet.

MudRunnerTD
9th October 2023, 10:52 AM
I reckon the smooth face you see is the underside of the carpet and you should be able to separate.

BrazilianY60
9th October 2023, 11:09 AM
Jing pinged?

Its an alternative brand (Jing Ping) to the famous aussie one called Car Builders, american one called Dynamat, etc.

PeeBee
9th October 2023, 09:45 PM
I attacked the carpet by first removing what I could by hand then using a 4" angle grinder with a 40 grit fan wheel, simply perfect - stripped it off the entire underside in under 5 mins. I could go back and give it a follow up, but its down to the vinyl, so might leave it there.