PDA

View Full Version : 12V Battery setup recharging when on powered site

DickieO
27th September 2023, 04:03 PM
Hi,

My sister and her family (husband & 3 kids) just bought a camper trailer to introduce the kids into camping.

I'm helping them setup their duel battery system. They will more likely start with easy access places and powered campsites.

I need to know if i set up the entire system to run "off grid" using the battery on the trailer (with dc-dc charger when car is running), how can I best charge the battery when on a powered site from the mains 240v without disconnecting the battery and or accessories? (using a modern battery charger while running accessories eg fridge will damage cells from what i know)

Regards
Richard

mudski
27th September 2023, 04:31 PM
You will be fine using a 240v charger whilst running items. My old camper had this from new, a 240v charger for mains charging and a Redarc Dc-dc charger for solar and car charging.

MudRunnerTD
27th September 2023, 07:55 PM
yeah 100% a standard 240v Battery charger from home mate. Many caravans are setup like that from factory, the lights are 12v not 240v and they just run off the house battery and a 240v charger

DickieO
28th September 2023, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info, much appreciated

Could I just confirm the standard 240volt charger is ok for an AGM batteries?

Would this also be the same case if i was using a lithium battery with a lithium charger?

Regards
Richard

mudski
28th September 2023, 03:55 PM

Would this also be the same case if i was using a lithium battery with a lithium charger?

Regards
Richard

When you say standard. What charger do you have? And you need a different type of charger for lithium. Sames goes for dc-dc chargers and lithium.

BigRAWesty
1st October 2023, 08:04 AM

Regards
RichardGrab a victron 240v charger.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/373032118661?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=tx9_zmlntim&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=G8IVS7DRQs2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It's not cheap but will last the lifetime.
Connect to the app to keep ontop of maintenance.
And leave it connected to the batteries.
Just plug it into 240v or unplug it.
Very simple.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk