PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum - Auto to manual conversion tale 😅

Edank
24th September 2023, 05:19 PM
How's it everyone?
I own an auto 1990 Nissan Safari GQ that's pretty much been in the garage for the past.. I'd say, 8 months.
I had it drivable for 3 or so when I first purchased it but something broke within and had a horrible screeching sound when it did.
Ended up finding out that it may have been a sheared flexplate, months and months later we opened her up, pulled the engine, found the culprit which was the flexplate! It was completely sheared from the crank and was free spinning. Purchased a rear main seal, transmission seal and secondhand flexplate to replace it. The previous person who had done something with the transmission/engine forgot the damn flexplate spacer!! Which was a huge cause for concern and I'm glad that only the flexplate sheared and nothing else had broken along the way.
But alas, I can't say I'm without error. We got through the entire process but didn't realise you had to line up the torque converter with the pump as we'd never installed an automatic transmission before... so another expensive mistake to make! And damn time consuming, pretty much tore through the transmission pump which was awful, so frustrating and mad that something so simple ended up ruining it.
So here we are today.. after all of that I ended up just saying F it, I wanted a manual originally anyway... and so began the journey of doing a manual conversion, I purchased a second hand manual gearbox last week after pulling the broken automatic transmission and now I'm deep into attempting to get everything to work. Waiting on a pilot/spigot bearing to get sent through the mail to me otherwise I'd have gotten it done this weekend. Unfortunate the person who sold me the conversion forgot the bearing but these things happen!
Ultimately I'm here, seeking advice for my future endeavors and to hopefully not have any more expensive mistakes 😔 also to seek some help with wiring up the reverse lights and park/neutral inhibitor relay so that I'm able to start it up after I'm done installing the "new" manual gearbox.

Thanks for reading, hope to see you around!

Dhuck
25th September 2023, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the forum mate