PDA

View Full Version : Bushwakka awnings

jay see
14th September 2023, 02:37 PM
I'm starting to look at replacing my awning.

I'm definitely going for a 270⁰ and came across this one. What I really like is that the rear comes off at 90⁰ to the car and the front runs along the bonnet. At $1600 I don't think that's overpriced

https://www.bushwakka.com.au/collections/extreme-awnings/products/the-extreme-darkness-rhs-drivers-side-pre-order-now

What are you running or looking at.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

mudski
14th September 2023, 02:46 PM
For that money mate you have plenty of options.

My Darche 270 is great, they're new freestanding one is out now, or very soon. Hard Korr have an extra large free standing awning. If I was to do it again I'd go for this. One thing I find on mine, I think the distance from the side of the car to the edge of the awning could be longer, but its standard size. The Hard Korr is wider. But Im still happy with it. I've had two issues with it, both were rectified immediately with no fuss.

Have a look on the Snowys site mate, a lot of choice there.

jay see
14th September 2023, 02:52 PM
Forgot about them, will go over there and have a look around..

AB
14th September 2023, 03:01 PM
I've been checking these out this week too for some reason.

I think you also want it on the passenger side rather than drivers IMHO.

jay see
14th September 2023, 03:28 PM
Had a look at the snowy site and yes they offer the hardkorr 270 freestanding. Basically the same as the bushwakka. I think the only difference is that the hardkorr has an extra light. Price is about the same. I might wait for the camping show and see what I can get there. Superior engineering have them at $1349 at the moment.

jay see
14th September 2023, 03:32 PM
I think you also want it on the passenger side rather than drivers IMHO.

I've been told that before, I've had my standard kings on the drivers side for years. What's the benefits of having it on the passenger side..

mudski
14th September 2023, 05:05 PM
I've been told that before, I've had my standard kings on the drivers side for years. What's the benefits of having it on the passenger side..

Keep the kings on aswell mate, you can never have too much cover. Mines on the passenger side, not sure why, its the side I've always had an awning on....

AB
14th September 2023, 07:17 PM

Touring hot weather quick stops on rest stops needing shade on lunch breaks.

When set up for long trips and you have tables, chairs, swags set up under awning you can always easy jump in drivers seat to check things.

Side road pull ups and need shade.

Left is safe and usable for all conditions in AU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnie
14th September 2023, 07:32 PM
I've always had the Awning on my GQ on the drivers side, occasionally I regret it.
I'm buying one of these Bushwakka 180 degree awnings for the Isuzu and it will be going on the passenger side.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

jay see
14th September 2023, 11:17 PM
When set up for long trips and you have tables, chairs, swags set up under awning you can always easy jump in drivers seat to check things

This is probably the only time I wish I had it on the other side, but have still managed.

I like Mudski idea, why not have both..

Brissieboy
15th September 2023, 08:59 AM
I have also been looking at 270 awnings. What I have found is that most of them do not completely cover the big barn door for rain protection when the door is fully open. This is a must for me as I live out of the back of the wagon when travelling. And I do want it on the passenger side. Three that I think do are 30Second (https://30secondwingawning.com.au/), Crashpad Gear (https://crashpadgear.com.au/collections/awnings), and Destination4WD (https://destination4wd.com/).

mudski
15th September 2023, 09:01 AM
This is probably the only time I wish I had it on the other side, but have still managed.

I like Mudski idea, why not have both..

87331..........:smile:

jay see
15th September 2023, 11:19 AM
87331..........[emoji2]

That's exactly what I was picturing while typing..

I have also been looking at 270 awnings. What I have found is that most of them do not completely cover the big barn door for rain protection when the door is fully open. This is a must for me as I live out of the back of the wagon when travelling. And I do want it on the passenger side. Three that I think do are 30Second (https://30secondwingawning.com.au/), Crashpad Gear (https://crashpadgear.com.au/collections/awnings), and Destination4WD (https://destination4wd.com/).

I think that's what most of us (non 62 owners)want.

I like the destination one, but upwards of 3k, I don't think so.

If there's rain I think the bushwakka and hardkorr with one wall should be enough. We are never going to get complete coverage in just using an awning

mudski
15th September 2023, 01:50 PM

I also find the rain hits the roof and splashes under the awning. I've been thinking about making a small covering, or something to stop this.

Brissieboy
16th September 2023, 09:20 AM
I also find the rain hits the roof and splashes under the awning. I've been thinking about making a small covering, or something to stop this.

I am looking at doing the same thing, but just at the rear. At this stage I am thinking sail track fixed to the arm of the awning and a small curtain that will slide into that and tie back onto the rack or even sew in magnets so it sticks to the roof. I noticed that the Destination awning has an option for something like this and it has great coverage, but I agree that price is a killer.
The Bushwakka Extreme 270 (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bushwakka+extreme+270&sca_esv=565782341&sxsrf=AM9HkKkCxu_IaUQZWijHDIRXJ4jNWdmbIQ%3A1694817 956839&source=hp&ei=pN4EZcmgMcDa2roP_Oeq2Aw&iflsig=AO6bgOgAAAAAZQTstOmnafyhxYSLigPyuZne8XLAV8N f&ved=0ahUKEwjJgpny2K2BAxVArVYBHfyzCssQ4dUDCAs&uact=5&oq=bushwakka+extreme+270&gs_lp=Egdnd3Mtd2l6IhVidXNod2Fra2EgZXh0cmVtZSAyNzAy BxAjGIoFGCcyChAAGIAEGBQYhwIyBRAAGIAEMgUQABiABDIGEA AYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yCBAAGIoFGIYDMggQABiKBRiGAzIIEAAY igUYhgNIqGlQ0whY4F1wAXgAkAEAmAHGAaAB-B2qAQQwLjIxuAEDyAEA-AEBqAIKwgIHECMY6gIYJ8ICBBAjGCfCAhQQLhiKBRixAxiDARj HARjRAxiRAsICCBAAGIoFGJECwgINEC4YrwEYxwEYigUYQ8ICB xAAGIoFGEPCAhEQLhiABBixAxiDARjHARjRA8ICDhAuGK8BGMc BGIoFGJECwgINEC4YigUYxwEYrwEYQ8ICChAAGIoFGLEDGEPCA gcQLhiKBRhDwgIIEAAYgAQYyQPCAgsQLhivARjHARiABA&sclient=gws-wiz) is another one to add to the list that will probably cover the door.
I'd be very interested in hearing any comments on any of these. They all seem to have a mix of good and bad reviews. The Crashpad one is very new so nothing found on that one.

MudRunnerTD
18th September 2023, 09:07 PM
Note that all the 270s linked in this thread a re China, which is fine. the Bushwakka is not their Aussie made product although they present as the Aussie company. They have an Australian Made line also but at over Double the price of their china awning which made my BushCompany a Bargain. What i like about the Bushwakka china is that integrated lights etc. this is a nice feature in the price bracket. a bargain really.

Pasenger side or Drivers side? my Shovel on on the drivers side and gotta keep the wife happy.

On a Patrol the 270 makes sense. I went the 180 on the 62 as it has a lift tail gate and the 270 would be pointless.

The bottom line though is It Must be Freestanding gents, its a game changer i reckon. Poles are fine to rig up when required but for the quick lunch stop a freestanding is the winner.

PeeBee
18th September 2023, 10:29 PM
Note that all the 270s linked in this thread a re China, which is fine. the Bushwakka is not their Aussie made product although they present as the Aussie company. They have an Australian Made line also but at over Double the price of their china awning which made my BushCompany a Bargain. What i like about the Bushwakka china is that integrated lights etc. this is a nice feature in the price bracket. a bargain really.

Pasenger side or Drivers side? my Shovel on on the drivers side and gotta keep the wife happy.

On a Patrol the 270 makes sense. I went the 180 on the 62 as it has a lift tail gate and the 270 would be pointless.

The bottom line though is It Must be Freestanding gents, its a game changer i reckon. Poles are fine to rig up when required but for the quick lunch stop a freestanding is the winner.

Struggling Daz with your sentence construction and punctuation. Ultimately looking at a replacement awning but you have me confused.

MudRunnerTD
18th September 2023, 11:26 PM
Struggling Daz with your sentence construction and punctuation. Ultimately looking at a replacement awning but you have me confused.

That's hilarious!!! Did I MB the shit outta something!!!

Ok, I read my reply and it seems to read ok to me but there is an underlying assumption, a few assumptions. Lol.

From scratch.
All of the awnings in the embedded links in this thread are all made in China.
Bushwakka suggest they are an Australian Company selling Auatralian made gear but the Ultimate awning in this thread is made in China.
Bushwakka do sell an Auatralian Made range but it's about $3500...
I have fitted a Bush Company 180max Awning made in South Africa with a price point fare and square in the middle between the bushwakka China and Aussie made.

I carry a Shovel on the drivers side and awning goes on the left. The wife is happy because he side is shaded when it's out.

And... free-standing is 100% better than a Roll Out style awning.
Most of the China Awnings claiming Freestanding all recommend using poles when it's breezy. A quick calm lunch stop the free-standing option works great. Most have integrated poles for windy days or poles in a bag ans ropes.

The BushCompany Awning has No Poles.

I think I covered all the points I made? Maybe?

Brissieboy
19th September 2023, 11:41 AM

The Destination4WD awning is claimed to be Aussie made - hence the high price I guess. I think the cheaper ones are all China and the local units are always considerably more expensive. Will 1 expensive unit outlast 2 at half the price or less? Will you get any better support for a local product? - doesn't always appear to be the case from what I have seen. And just what parts and materials are really locally made?
Not too sure on relative quality because some good stuff comes out of China as well as the cheap rubbish. And not all Aussie made is all it should be. Talking generally there, not just awnings.

MudRunnerTD
19th September 2023, 03:08 PM
The Destination4WD awning is claimed to be Aussie made - hence the high price I guess. I think the cheaper ones are all China and the local units are always considerably more expensive. Will 1 expensive unit outlast 2 at half the price or less? Will you get any better support for a local product? - doesn't always appear to be the case from what I have seen. And just what parts and materials are really locally made?
Not too sure on relative quality because some good stuff comes out of China as well as the cheap rubbish. And not all Aussie made is all it should be. Talking generally there, not just awnings.

I had not clicked on that link. When I was researching I think I did look at that as I believe the arms actually pull outwards to their extended length like a car aerial and I wasn't super keen as it meant the canvas was basically shoved in when packing up or rolled up in a jumble. And Yes they are Double the price of a Bushwakka 270.

I chose a Bush Company 180maxx and from memory was about $2400. I think their 270 was $2600 maybe. I really like the Trusses of the arms of the BC awnings as true free-standing. It was the deciding factor for me, once I had a good look at the BC I used it as the benchmark to compare others too. And they didn't really come close.

PeeBee
19th September 2023, 09:42 PM
That's hilarious!!! Did I MB the shit outta something!!!

Ok, I read my reply and it seems to read ok to me but there is an underlying assumption, a few assumptions. Lol.

From scratch.
Bushwakka suggest they are an Australian Company selling Auatralian made gear but the Ultimate awning in this thread is made in China.
Bushwakka do sell an Auatralian Made range but it's about $3500...
I have fitted a Bush Company 180max Awning made in South Africa with a price point fare and square in the middle between the bushwakka China and Aussie made.

I carry a Shovel on the drivers side and awning goes on the left. The wife is happy because he side is shaded when it's out.

And... free-standing is 100% better than a Roll Out style awning.
Most of the China Awnings claiming Freestanding all recommend using poles when it's breezy. A quick calm lunch stop the free-standing option works great. Most have integrated poles for windy days or poles in a bag ans ropes.

The BushCompany Awning has No Poles.

I think I covered all the points I made? Maybe?

Very clear old chap, thought MB had cross pollinated some DNA at some point in Tassy and you caught the virus!! Appreciate the follow thru.

PeeBee
19th September 2023, 09:58 PM
Sold, on the shopping list for the 180 deg unit, simple, just need to resolve the supports

MudRunnerTD
20th September 2023, 12:44 AM
Sold, on the shopping list for the 180 deg unit, simple, just need to resolve the supports

The Bush Company 180 came with heavy duty brackets which was great but i ended up merging the BC brackets with some ARB mountings for the base rack and it came up a treat.

mudski
20th September 2023, 04:55 PM

I kind of disagree with its gotta be free standing there old chap. It takes me a whole 20 extra seconds to flip the poles down. I've used mine without the poles on occasion without fuss also. But it would be handy to not have poles to walk around. It wasn't, and still isn't a big deal breaker when I was looking for a new awning. But I will assume most new awnings to come out will be free standing anyway and will supersede the predecessor eventually.

Each to their own I guess.

PeeBee
20th September 2023, 10:18 PM
The mounting system and what it is attached to is my focus, as there are considerable loads generated by these big sails. I have had two roll out 180 deg awnings, tied down with poles and both lifted up and folded over the top of the roofrack - unexpected gusts of serious wind, and well anchored. Both times significant damage to the poles and snapped ropes, pulled pegs. The stronger the support structure the further down the chain the force will react, so if the sail structure is up to the wind rating claimed, the next focal area needs to be what its mounted to and how the load is distributed. The roofracks with full gutter length loading is perhaps a direction I am heading. I do have a full length and 3/4 length steel roofrack in steel and an aluminium 3/4 as well, need to think this thru before committing to the serious coin of the SA item.

MudRunnerTD
21st September 2023, 12:49 AM
The mounting system and what it is attached to is my focus, as there are considerable loads generated by these big sails. I have had two roll out 180 deg awnings, tied down with poles and both lifted up and folded over the top of the roofrack - unexpected gusts of serious wind, and well anchored. Both times significant damage to the poles and snapped ropes, pulled pegs. The stronger the support structure the further down the chain the force will react, so if the sail structure is up to the wind rating claimed, the next focal area needs to be what its mounted to and how the load is distributed. The roofracks with full gutter length loading is perhaps a direction I am heading. I do have a full length and 3/4 length steel roofrack in steel and an aluminium 3/4 as well, need to think this thru before committing to the serious coin of the SA item.

Yeah this was my primary consideration too. I just kept coming back to the mount and hinge system and Truss design and the BC was streets ahead. The other serious consideration was im building a 20 year car so i wanted a 20 year awning. Also i have Red hair (well i used too) and fair skin, im allergic to the Sun and the physical Size of the BC coverage was significant.

MudRunnerTD
21st September 2023, 12:53 AM
I kind of disagree with its gotta be free standing there old chap. It takes me a whole 20 extra seconds to flip the poles down. I've used mine without the poles on occasion without fuss also. But it would be handy to not have poles to walk around. It wasn't, and still isn't a big deal breaker when I was looking for a new awning. But I will assume most new awnings to come out will be free standing anyway and will supersede the predecessor eventually.

Each to their own I guess.

Yeah fair call mate, i did really consider the Bushwakka and it ticked a heap of boxes for me and the price point was great, again though the Bush Company got my coin on the basis of a 20 year build. No regrets so far.

PeeBee
24th September 2023, 10:52 AM
Help is needed?
I cannot create the first message.
Thank you.

Кто то может помочь ??
Не могу написать в топик.
С уважением.

Ummmm, I think you just did.

BigRAWesty
1st October 2023, 08:58 AM
I'm starting to look at replacing my awning.

I'm definitely going for a 270⁰ and came across this one. What I really like is that the rear comes off at 90⁰ to the car and the front runs along the bonnet. At $1600 I don't think that's overpriced

https://www.bushwakka.com.au/collections/extreme-awnings/products/the-extreme-darkness-rhs-drivers-side-pre-order-now

What are you running or looking at.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using TapatalkMy brother has a 270 on his LC and it's brilliant.
I'm in the market to upgrade from the old kings aswell.

However I've been seriously looking at this one.
https://www.ocamindustries.com.au/ocam-premium-wingman-270-xl-awning-passenger-side-navy-blue-600d-oxford-4x4-camping?srsltid=AfmBOoodXGO_-W6ycz-HJhCFW6MrA7I8sM4FjFCyGyW2K5jtdoBxRckZh_E

It comes with 3 light strip's instead of 2, and 6 legs ( 4 integrated instead of 1)
But yet to see one in person...

PeeBee
1st October 2023, 11:15 AM
My brother has a 270 on his LC and it's brilliant.
I'm in the market to upgrade from the old kings aswell.

However I've been seriously looking at this one.
https://www.ocamindustries.com.au/ocam-premium-wingman-270-xl-awning-passenger-side-navy-blue-600d-oxford-4x4-camping?srsltid=AfmBOoodXGO_-W6ycz-HJhCFW6MrA7I8sM4FjFCyGyW2K5jtdoBxRckZh_E

It comes with 3 light strip's instead of 2, and 6 legs ( 4 integrated instead of 1)
But yet to see one in person...

Had a look at their 'words', and they mention no warranty for fluctuating wind conditions if not tied down with ropes and poles, specifically at the beach. Cant see any reference to what the limits are for mild conditions either. These big sails generate a huge force, so my considerations at the moment are the mounts and the definition of the warranty after having destroyed 2 awnings already. Might be a check point?

AB
3rd April 2024, 07:39 PM
The 30 second guys speech are very much promoting theirs is better than others with wind.

https://campingculture.com.au/product/30-second-stormchaser-wing-awning/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
3rd April 2024, 08:21 PM
Brothers 270 degree ended up as a vehicle wrap on the beach even when tied down, its a lot of force generated by the wind on a bit sail.