PDA

View Full Version : 2012 CRD valve cover gasket.

Coldcomfort
6th September 2023, 12:41 PM
Hi all, is the CRD valve cover gasket prone to leaking? And since its rubber would torquing up the bolts that hold it onto the head be worth doing. And, if so whats the torque setting for these? Cheers all.

pollenface
6th September 2023, 01:57 PM
mine was leaking like crazy, i just replaced it

the torque is 10-11nm, maybe loosen and re-torque?

mihit
7th September 2023, 12:42 PM
I don't know what newton meters are, but the foot-poundage is, like, 1.
And yeah, criss-cross out from the centre when doing them up, maybe in a couple of stages. (Nip them up, then go back over them all, to final torque)

Old rubber will get hard and perish. New gaskets probably aren't expensive but gasket-goo or dressing will give a bit extra mileage.

Coldcomfort
7th September 2023, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys. I'm toying with the idea of lifting the valve cover and replacing the rubber gasket. I have new glow plug seals and have ordered a set of new glow plugs today. If re-torquing works thats good. But if not I will bite the bullet and do the valve cover lifting thing. I only got the glow plugs because if I have to remove them I may as well replace them. They are working fine but with 250K of service they may not survive being tampered with. I also bought a workshop manual today. Should have done that ages ago.

Brissieboy
8th September 2023, 09:10 AM
I don't know what newton meters are, but the foot-poundage is, like, 1.

FYI:
10NM = 7.4 ft-lbs
11NM = 8.1 ft-lbs

Coldcomfort
8th September 2023, 11:54 AM
That's what professor google told me as well. :smiley_thumbs_up:

pollenface
21st September 2023, 01:58 PM
I'd replace the glow plugs while it's apart, they're cheap, you've gotten your moneys worth out of them.

Coldcomfort
13th October 2023, 01:01 PM
The plan is to re-torque the rocker/valve cover this weekend. Shouldn't take too much time and if all goes to plan the glow plugs and seals will also get replaced. Although the glow plug thing will depend on how much time I have left.

Coldcomfort
15th October 2023, 06:40 PM
I had a good look at my valve cover and its surrounds. I discovered that you cant re-torque the cover bolts with out first removing the injector tubes. That's not gunna happen any time soon. But with a good light I think that I have discovered the source of my oil leak. I'm pretty sure that its the rear (number 4) injector seal. I don't know if its very clear in the pictures but I've put them in anyway. Looks like its a new valve cover for me.

Dhuck
15th October 2023, 07:13 PM
Yep. That sucks. I had a mobile mechanic mate of mine bodge number 1 up a couple of years ago due to the cost of a new valve cover. He is an ex Yota tech, but their black goo is awesome. Have had no further leaks since he did that. Will have to reach out to my Dhuck charity at some stage and replace it.

pollenface
28th October 2023, 10:09 PM
I had a good look at my valve cover and its surrounds. I discovered that you cant re-torque the cover bolts with out first removing the injector tubes. That's not gunna happen any time soon. But with a good light I think that I have discovered the source of my oil leak. I'm pretty sure that its the rear (number 4) injector seal. I don't know if its very clear in the pictures but I've put them in anyway. Looks like its a new valve cover for me.

The tubes are gonna have to come off to put a new valve cover, more importantly, do you really need a new valve cover? I just had mine off, I think there was a rubbery ring inside the cover that slips over the metal injector ring. I'm trying to find a "part" on google but nothing I recognise is coming up. Apparently the fuel tubes are "single use items" but I've reused mine a couple of times

FWIW, I also fully greased my valve cover gasket, mainly to make it stick in the valve cover when right side up so the gasket doesn't fall out and go astray, I also put about 12-13nm. 11 didn't feel enough.

Edit: just found out the injector seals cannot be purchased seperately, you have to buy the whole cover for $643

Also don't over tighten the glow plug nuts, I snapped one and had to put an old one back in, turns out I had two which were worn out

pollenface
21st January 2024, 11:54 PM
Did you end up addressing this? If not, apparently the genuine gasket is best, being of a softer material which seals better than aftermarket variants.

The injection tubes can be removed and refitted without worry, although the Nissan learning resource advises to replace all injection tubes. Mine have been reused multiple times, no noticeable difference.

Coldcomfort
23rd January 2024, 09:01 AM
Havent moved on this yet. Since the valve cover has to come off I intend replacing it since I have some minor leaks around the injectors. The new one arrived yesterday by coincidence. Im on the fence about the injector lines. They are not cheap. I will take the advice of an experienced mechanic on that one. I also have new glow plug seals and glow plugs to go in at the same time. Also new return lines for the injectors. I have been waiting for the silly season to pass to move on this. I plan on arranging all this early Feb.