PDA

View Full Version : GPS Tracker location

Brissieboy
31st August 2023, 02:30 PM
Following the rise in vehicle theft generally, and triggered by the recent theft @MB's daughter's Maverick, I am going to install a GPS Tracker on my GU wagon.
But where? Where have others mounted theirs?
Well it obviously needs to be reasonably covert, but it's almost impossible to get it up high under the dash (plastic so transparent to GPS signals) without completely removing the dash and have grave doubts about its effectiveness in the engine bay due to the metal bonnet as well as the heat problem.
I am thinking about under the dress panel below the window of one of the rear doors. There is sufficient room for something like the little TK419 and it would have good access to satellites as well as being able to hide all wiring. At this stage I was not going to add the cutout relay as I think tracking should be enough to at least find it if was lost stolen or strayed, but that could be added easily enough with the relay up front.
Anybody got any good ideas for better, easier, safer, more convenient locations?

Cremulator
31st August 2023, 05:26 PM
If you remove the glove box, you can see up under the dash area, or alternatively under the steering column area. You could potentially put a GPS under the plastic of the dash to get clear signal through the windscreen.
(Reference photos from Cuppas second glove box install and JFF45s heater box replacement)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2023/08/30.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2023/08/31.jpg

BrazilianY60
31st August 2023, 09:00 PM
I say no for "under the steering column". That is the first place thieves look for alarms wiring, cut switches, etc.

Your barn door idea seems good to me. You can certainly do a test with the wires in the middle of the car, before commiting to a place. I've seen people hide it inside the 2nd row doors and even inside the taillight assembly.

Cremulator
31st August 2023, 10:54 PM
I say no for "under the steering column". That is the first place thieves look for alarms wiring, cut switches, etc.

Your barn door idea seems good to me. You can certainly do a test with the wires in the middle of the car, before commiting to a place. I've seen people hide it inside the 2nd row doors and even inside the taillight assembly.I agree, under the steering column would not be a good location. What I was referring to, which I should have been clearer about, was under the dash on either side of the car.
If you can't get access looking up past the steering column, maybe removing the instrument cluster and mounting it behind there?
Ideally, mounting it somewhere that takes some time to access when you install it will make it less likely or harder to find if someone steals the car ;)

jff45
1st September 2023, 06:55 AM
I have my TK419 in an ideal location that has good access to satellites but, with respect, I don't think it's the kind of thing that one should be broadcasting publicly. Kind of defeats the purpose..

Brissieboy
1st September 2023, 09:16 AM
If you remove the glove box, you can see up under the dash area, or alternatively under the steering column area. You could potentially put a GPS under the plastic of the dash to get clear signal through the windscreen.
(Reference photos from Cuppas second glove box install and JFF45s heater box replacement)

The air bag is above the glove box and I really don't want to disturb that. And there is not much room that is reasonably accessible on the driver's side, and as others have mentioned it is the first place someone would look. Hence the search for somewhere else that is not a 'normal' location for these.

Brissieboy
1st September 2023, 09:21 AM
I have my TK419 in an ideal location that has good access to satellites but, with respect, I don't think it's the kind of thing that one should be broadcasting publicly. Kind of defeats the purpose..

Point taken!! But somewhere unusual would still be preferable to the obvious places. And being totally hidden (including all wiring) would certainly make finding it rather difficult.