PDA

View Full Version : Where's the VIN?

DX grunt
23rd August 2023, 02:04 AM
Cuppa

Hi all.

I can't find the VIN that's supposed to be stamped on the chassis rail. Any ideas where I could find it? I just can't find it. It may be hiding somewhere else, too.

Mine's a 2005 ex Telstra Patrol ute 4.2 TDi.

TIA.

Ross.

BrazilianY60
23rd August 2023, 03:50 AM
From a Y61 Owner's manual that I have once downloaded. The manual doesn't state any specifics for UTE, so I assume it would be the same location.

DX grunt
23rd August 2023, 09:31 AM
From a Y61 Owner's manual that I have once downloaded. The manual doesn't state any specifics for UTE, so I assume it would be the same location.

Thanks. I've still got my original manual and I looked there but still couldn't find it. Not sure if it's on the front RH side or rear LH side, but I'll look again.

The only thing I can think of is that when I bought it from a car yard that the underneath was painted black and it's been covered over. I might be wrong.

mudski
23rd August 2023, 12:27 PM
Thanks. I've still got my original manual and I looked there but still couldn't find it. Not sure if it's on the front RH side or rear LH side, but I'll look again.

The only thing I can think of is that when I bought it from a car yard that the underneath was painted black and it's been covered over. I might be wrong.

I've never found the Chassis number on mine. But I've never really had the need to look properly for it though.

BrazilianY60
23rd August 2023, 12:48 PM
Not sure if it's on the front RH side or rear LH side, but I'll look again.

RH side for sure.

The only thing I can think of is that when I bought it from a car yard that the underneath was painted black and it's been covered over.

Unless they have painted it very thick, you should be able to see it through as it is stamped on metal.

DX grunt
23rd August 2023, 01:32 PM
RH side for sure.

Unless they have painted it very thick, you should be able to see it through as it is stamped on metal.

Thanks. They must have painted it very thick. I just cannot see it.

Cuppa
23rd August 2023, 04:08 PM
Sorry Dx - can't help. Back is playing up & I cant get down to have a look. Why isn't the vin plate adequate?

DX grunt
23rd August 2023, 08:36 PM
Sorry Dx - can't help. Back is playing up & I cant get down to have a look. Why isn't the vin plate adequate?

Cuppa

My ute is registered in WA and by chance, I did a quick rego check via the web and found the rego had been cancelled. I didn't have a clue why but was told it had been cancelled and was registered in another state. I told the dude it was sitting in my driveway, but he wanted as much info as he could to help me 'prove it'. I complied as much as I could, and have done lots of ringing around, but I just can't find it. I even sent them a pic of the GVM modification plate. Anyway, waiting to hear back. The dude was good about it and re-instated the rego. Got the renewal yesterday and it was about $995 for 12 months and $551 for 6 months. I'm still in shock. lol.

Cuppa
23rd August 2023, 09:11 PM
Cuppa

My ute is registered in WA and by chance, I did a quick rego check via the web and found the rego had been cancelled. I didn't have a clue why but was told it had been cancelled and was registered in another state. I told the dude it was sitting in my driveway, but he wanted as much info as he could to help me 'prove it'. I complied as much as I could, and have done lots of ringing around, but I just can't find it. I even sent them a pic of the GVM modification plate. Anyway, waiting to hear back. The dude was good about it and re-instated the rego. Got the renewal yesterday and it was about $995 for 12 months and $551 for 6 months. I'm still in shock. lol.

Strewth! That doesn't sound good.

PeeBee
23rd August 2023, 10:43 PM
Cuppa

MB I hope this isn't heading your way with the shorty

DX grunt
3rd September 2023, 03:06 AM
I finally found the VIN that's stamped into the chassis. Boy was that hard work!

After giving the underneath a high pressure wash, I took to the general area with a wire brush and found it.

When I bought the ute from a car yard many years ago, the underneath was painted black, and that was my problem - the numbers and letters had been painted over.

Thanks everybody for your help.