PDA

View Full Version : Inner axle seal replacement and front diff centre removal

Bidja
15th August 2023, 08:20 PM
Time poor at the moment. Leaking inner axle seal (pass side), for on 3 yrs now but not a bad weep through knuckle scraper seal. Yeah best to do a both side full rebuild but prefer to just do inner seal for now _ no oil drip on rim dish or floor (looks messy), but live on a dirt road and she has not had a wash under for more than 12 months. GU 220k kms replaced bearing 100k km back tracks well/stable.
From those having such experience, what about doing inner axle seal only and see how swivel hub rear scrapper goes?

Pic of both sides as comparo.

Planning on fitting Harrop E- locker at same time and thinking of removing diff assy (25 + kg) by myself, is this too heavy on my own or should I give it to w/shop and they could pop the inner axle seal at same time_thoughts/safety appreciated??

Getting w/shop to install locker into diff center.

mihit
16th August 2023, 11:56 AM
Diff guts are easy enough to hoik out single handed.

for the time you're going to spend doing the rest of the things, a swivel-hub rebuild will not add much in cost or time. And then you don't have to think about it for the next 30 years or so.
While you're in it chuck some chromoly CVs and half-shafts in :D

mudnut
16th August 2023, 02:57 PM
Bastard of a job. If you are not a body builder, I suggest you get help to refit the longer drive shaft and c.v. You do not want to drag the heavy bugger across the new seal as it slides in.

mudski
16th August 2023, 03:25 PM
Axle seal is easy to do, but its a long process, as everything on that side needs to come apart. If you haven't get yourself a seal drift set. Cheap to buy and so bloody handy when doing those axle seals.
Use these seals when doing the job.
https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/trail-safe-nissan-patrol-inner-axle-seals-26722

Apparently the ducks guts they are.

Bidja
16th August 2023, 08:52 PM
Thanks fellas for the replies.

I have all tools for the job, the only thing missing is a press but did wheel bearing a few yrs ago and can access one (local mechanic) if desperate.

Even bought a ball joint separator from Repco the other day _ always wanted one of these anyway.

Removed the axles some years ago, greased CVs and cannot remember why, maybe was convenience when I changed out the rotars/whl bearing. Interesting though , it is the longer axle with the failed inner axle seal:tongue:.

Not too concerned getting amongst it, but the weight of the diff is my concern and no one around to call on to give a hand.

Have some genuine inner axle seal on the shelf (had them for a couple of yrs) and yes the trail-safe have good reputation _ will see.

DIY troll time _ Just other jobs taking priority at the moment _ weighing it all up.

Was mainly interested in the chance of the s/h wiper seals holding back the grease if no oil present.

Thanks again.

mudski
16th August 2023, 10:54 PM
That ball section John where the wiper seals run. Many moons ago I spent a lot of time rubbing them back with some wet and dry and filling in the divots with metal filler, and more sanding. Worked really well but I think it’s time they need to be done again. It’s been a while….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudnut
16th August 2023, 11:33 PM
Thanks fellas for the replies.

I have all tools for the job, the only thing missing is a press but did wheel bearing a few yrs ago and can access one (local mechanic) if desperate.

Even bought a ball joint separator from Repco the other day _ always wanted one of these anyway.

Removed the axles some years ago, greased CVs and cannot remember why, maybe was convenience when I changed out the rotars/whl bearing. Interesting though , it is the longer axle with the failed inner axle seal:tongue:.

Not too concerned getting amongst it, but the weight of the diff is my concern and no one around to call on to give a hand.

Have some genuine inner axle seal on the shelf (had them for a couple of yrs) and yes the trail-safe have good reputation _ will see.

DIY troll time _ Just other jobs taking priority at the moment _ weighing it all up.

Was mainly interested in the chance of the s/h wiper seals holding back the grease if no oil present.

Thanks again.

I changed out the rear diff, years ago, by using a trolley jack to take all the weight. If I had to do it again, I would weld a special cradle to hold the diff on the jack.

BrazilianY60
17th August 2023, 12:59 AM
I changed out the rear diff, years ago, by using a trolley jack to take all the weight.

This.
It helps even to break it apart from the housing, to jack a bit close to the pinion; easier than trying to use a pry bar.

Bidja
17th August 2023, 01:07 AM
That ball section John where the wiper seals run. Many moons ago I spent a lot of time rubbing them back with some wet and dry and filling in the divots with metal filler, and more sanding. Worked really well but I think it’s time they need to be done again. It’s been a while….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The axle trunnions surface finish appears to be in good condition just need to clean up area and have a look. The black paint finish has worn off defective side as the dust / dirt mixing with the weeping lube now a honing paste. Most likely hub seal kit - might have to wait a bit..

Bidja
17th August 2023, 01:14 AM
I changed out the rear diff, years ago, by using a trolley jack to take all the weight. If I had to do it again, I would weld a special cradle to hold the diff on the jack.

Jack/Cradle of sorts will help support/manoeuvre.

MudRunnerTD
17th August 2023, 11:38 PM
The diff centre supported on the trolley jack is easy enough to manage along. I am assuming the car is on the ground and the diff is supported on jack stands.

I would 100% do the CV rebuild while it is apart. The difference jsut doing the King Pin bearings is huge and immediate.

Like Mudski, the last time i did the GU i rubbed back the trunnions and gave them a couple of coats of Satin Black cold gal. The wiper seals where much happier for a long time, as the piant wears over time it leaves the pits full and the wipers appreciate the maintenance.

If you were not going in to fit the locker though you could potentially continue to drive on. You live on a dirt road adn the diff has not seen a hose for 12 months. THere is not a drop in the inner face of that rim! Seems like a seep.

Bidja
18th August 2023, 01:17 PM
MudRunnerTD Yeah the locker install has been on the cards for a while and mechanic at recent rego roadie advised me, once again, to attend to the inner axle seal. The wiper seal has shown signs of seepage for 2+ yrs now.
So now have a convincing excuse to do the locker.

Thanks for the paint type used on trunnions.