PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone booster?

taslucas
5th August 2023, 03:06 PM
Hello all. My pairs have jumped into the caravan scene. They've been testing the set up around tas for a bit and will be heading to the big island towards the end of the year. Looking for recommendations to stay in contact. (And piece of mind).
First trip will be across to Perth with probably only small deviations from the main roads. At this point I doubt they'll ever be too far from a town.They're both on Telstra mobile phones so I'm wondering if there's a suitable reception booster cradle to aerial or similar setup? Or if it's even needed? Has anyone got personal experience of Telstra network?

Starlink mobile sounds amazing but a bit of over kill.

.......from under the great down under.

mihit
5th August 2023, 03:19 PM
I have something similar to this (bought +/- 10 years ago) https://www.jaycar.com.au/nextech-5dbi-magnetic-mount-4g-antenna/p/AR3340
and https://www.jaycar.co.nz/fme-to-induction-3g-plug/p/AR3316

It was for a fixed install (bush hut) before cell reception was really common in the area, 2G and CDMA were fine but 3G was kinda "go up the hill stand on one leg and if the wind is blowing one way on a waxing moon" kinda reception...
Got an extra -15dB reception on whatever cellphone it was back then, nokia, blackberry or siemens. Enough for emails anyway.

I wouldn't think it's needed with todays ultra-emf-saturation.
And on a main road I assume there's still truckers... better to have AM CB and UHF comms I think. Though you guys over there still have flying doctors on landbase VHF?

Plasnart
5th August 2023, 05:07 PM
PeeBee might be your man here mate. He set something up for remote area signal boost I believe.

jack
5th August 2023, 06:07 PM
On our travels we found that Telstra was the only one that worked in most places. Optus does have some coverage in some remote towns, we got a spare Optus sim but it was useless. Forget about any of the other providers. I also have a phone Ariel on my car that plugged into my phone, only worked when we there was a minimal signal.
Many places now have these remote call dishes, not sure what they are called. You stand at them and get a free Telstra signal that even allows video calls.
So far we haven’t met or heard from anyone who had a successful phone booster. It’s probably the most discussed topic on the many grey nomad forums and sites.

AB
5th August 2023, 06:35 PM
Starlink if you can afford it mate.

It’s a huge game changer in the nomads and travelling like.

Just got it put in here and I’m getting 180mbs and take it anywhere.

Understand it’s not a mobile phone but if it’s for keeping in touch with less tech savvy oldies try getting them online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
5th August 2023, 10:12 PM
I run the Telstra Cel Fi unit for my site communication and remote area phone stuff. I have a range of antennas depending on the terrain. It will amplify a weak signal that is incapable of establishing even a text messge into a full blown 5/5 bar local strength signal where you can voice call - surfing the internet however is a bit out of its capability I have found for sites with heavy graphics content - it cannot increase bandwidth or data density attributes, only the signal strength. The amplification at the user end is typically within a 6m radius on 4G and up to 15m on 3g. 3G is being phased out within 12 months I understand. the Cel-Fi can hunt across 3g/4G and 4GX automatically to pick the best service. I operate this in a remote area of QLD on a 1/4 4G service and a 2/4 3G service with total reliability.

For comms outside of the 4G network I rely on the Iridium network using a Telstra post paid sim card - I swap out my normal iphone sim into the 9575 handset and simply operate the Satellite phone on international roaming.

I also have an iridium wireless modem that operates off the satellite service with its own pre paid sim card - this is a back up service to the 9575 and allows me to use my iphone linked to the wireless hub and connect to the world that way. I have not tried to surf the internet on this device.

Then there are the HF VHF and UHF radios - but these all have other communication sectors.

Hope that helps. Fair bit of coin to go so comprehensive, but what cost do you put on a life?

Brissieboy
6th August 2023, 08:55 AM
Telstra is the only option remote - others are nowhere near it. 3G coverage most of the way across the nullarbor for example, but 3G is going away shortly and 4G/5G do not come near the same coverage. I reckon best alternative for phone only is Iridium sat phone. Full internet really needs something like Starlink. Boosters are OK when you are marginal, but no use when you are remote. There are also other cheaper options if you only need SMS type messaging and an emergency facility.

Maxhead
6th August 2023, 10:33 AM
Bit expensive but Starlink would be my go to when traveling.
Online at all times and just turn on wifi calling and you’re set[emoji106]

Rossco
6th August 2023, 11:48 AM
I've just got an EPIRB in the GQ for just in case the shit hits the fan situations although we use Garmin InReach units at work which you can text to and from. These could be an option they work well, also watched this this morning and there is mention in there of a booster he uses few opinions guess. . .

https://youtu.be/zV7SUeqQg5Y

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

taslucas
6th August 2023, 04:41 PM
Awesome, cheers guys, lots to look into. Very comprehensive peebee, thank you.

.......from under the great down under.

MB
6th August 2023, 08:42 PM
G’day Tassie, very possibly outdated experience/purchase meself but still do highly recommend an Iridium GO.
It’s like a modem thingy that can stand alone for Little LB & MB to shoot SMS off our own phones anywhere/anytime, calls and weather updates too if VHC needed but hopefully never not [emoji736][emoji120]

MB
8th August 2023, 11:00 PM
I've just got an EPIRB in the GQ for just in case the shit hits the fan situations although we use Garmin InReach units at work which you can text to and from. These could be an option they work well, also watched this this morning and there is mention in there of a booster he uses few opinions guess. . .

https://youtu.be/zV7SUeqQg5Y

G’day Rossco [emoji3590][emoji3590] A great idea for youngsters that cannot wifi linky in time to a say Iridium network modem and or dedicated phone I guess [emoji22]
No doubt outdated again but we still do diligently like your good self have a chunky battery marine EPIRB strapped to thy McJesus bar with very simple 2-step safeguard tought activation in a worst case horrific Dingo Attack [emoji51][emoji22]

MB
8th August 2023, 11:10 PM
Meant you’re doing the Right backup truly needed Big Daddy [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji736][emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]

jack
9th August 2023, 08:44 PM
Same here, EPIRB is permanently stored within easy reach in the Patrol. I also make sure that any passengers know how to activate it.

Rossco
10th August 2023, 11:07 AM
Same here, EPIRB is permanently stored within easy reach in the Patrol. I also make sure that any passengers know how to activate it.Yeah that's a good point was in the back blocks near the Coberas and solo walked to a rough little hut and on return Nicole proposed a hypothetical of what to do if there just happened to be a crazed gunman that took me hostage. . . Anyways she said she wouldn't know what to do then I made mention first thing would to let off EPIRB to which her reply was never would have thought of that. . . Hopefully will now if we ever encounter such situation [emoji1696][emoji1696]

MB
10th August 2023, 08:44 PM
Snake bite, rollover, whatever, Simple long lasting battery easily activated EPIRB for the WIN [emoji471][emoji736][emoji736]

MB
10th August 2023, 08:46 PM
….& Or 3030 postcode back strapped [emoji736][emoji736]

Plasnart
10th August 2023, 08:50 PM
….& Or 3030 postcode back strapped [emoji736][emoji736]

eebirrew??