PDA

View Full Version : hit a snag, crd pump removal

pollenface
16th July 2023, 08:47 PM
One of my 3 rear CRD pump bolts has a stripped head. I'm guessing it was from the last guy who put it back together (possibly with a rattle gun).

It's a bit of tight spot, the closest to the engine, I can feel it but can't see it.

It's got me wondering if the pump can still be removed easily enough by removing the timing chain cover and accessing the 5 forward facing bolts holding the pump mounting bracket in place. Once it's out of the engine, I'd be able to have a better crack at removing the damaged bolt. It would also be a good opportunity to replace the timing chain.

Pic for attention
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2023/07/1.png

mudski
17th July 2023, 09:32 PM
Kingchrome do sockets that will latch onto a buggered hex. I had a 14mm nut that was cactus, and in a really bad spot. I went to Total Tools to see what I could use, I found at All Tools however these sockets. Which worked a treat.

pollenface
18th July 2023, 06:52 AM
When you say hex do you mean allan key or normal nut? They're both hexagonal. I'm aware of the biting sockets for normal nuts. I tried using a torx T40 which fitted the bolt I removed well but it just spun on the damaged one.

mudski
19th July 2023, 08:12 AM
When you say hex do you mean allan key or normal nut? They're both hexagonal. I'm aware of the biting sockets for normal nuts. I tried using a torx T40 which fitted the bolt I removed well but it just spun on the damaged one.

Hexagonal.

https://www.kincrome.com.au/lokon-set-1-4-24p-met-imp

Worked surprisingly well.

pollenface
19th July 2023, 08:59 PM
That's a good looking set, it won't work for me though in this case being allan key bolts, I think I will be drilling and driving an easy-out into it once I get it out of the motor and in a vice :)

mudski
19th July 2023, 09:39 PM
Ahh ok. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pollenface
9th September 2023, 02:48 PM
My plan worked, got the pump out this way and extracted the damaged bolt with the pump in the vice.

Now time for a beer and then start rebuilding my pump :)