PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

marangani
20th June 2023, 05:02 PM
Hey all,

Joining the community as I've inherited my grandfathers old desert beater - 1988 GQ Wagon TD42 - lovingly named Tjilpi.

Almost entirely stock with 402k on the odo. Front bench seat replaced with a pair of sprung seats from a Landcruiser, bullbar, electronic brakes for a trailer, and a dual battery setup basically cover the mods.

Runs and drives fairly well, completely gutless just as Nissan intended. Was causing me a lot of grief starting, but I replaced most of the fuel lines and it seems to have mostly solved that problem (I think air is still getting in somewhere, but it's going mostly okay so I'll move on to other problems, which there are many).

Currently working on getting it safe to just cruise around in, just had a new set of Falken AT3W's which seem fairly capable. Booked in to get brakes and clutch hydraulics serviced (I'd rather someone who really knows what they're doing fix this, I live on a mountain), the swivel joints are leaking - so that's getting rebuilt, and I'll have the mechanic change the fluids etc while it's there (I could obviously do this myself, but I figure he may as well do it and save me figuring out what to do with 10's of litres of engine and gear oil).

Needs a bunch of other stuff done, and honestly should probably just be scrapped (body is an absolute basket case), but it was the first car I really ever drove a lot when I was a kid, touring around the Aussie outback, and every time I hear it start I'm reminded of being that kid, and I just love the old beater.

Anyway, here are some photos

BrazilianY60
21st June 2023, 03:29 AM
Welcome mate!
What is that bar on top of the bonnet for?

marangani
22nd June 2023, 03:11 AM
Bar was for caravan mirrors, but has since been placed in the bin lol.

marangani
22nd June 2023, 12:12 PM
There are a lot of other eccentricities with the vehicle as well, such as the bump stops being replaced with tennis balls and old tools etc being stuffed into every crevice of the vehicle imaginable.

Dhuck
22nd June 2023, 09:40 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.