PDA

View Full Version : G'day

V8Y62
3rd June 2023, 03:47 PM
G'day
New member and new Patrol owner. I have literally just purchased (3 hours ago) a Y62. I look forward to learning from everyone here.
Cheers.
Michael.

Dhuck
4th June 2023, 11:45 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Big Girl
4th June 2023, 03:51 PM
G'day right back at you.

Just a heads up: Us GUY61 owners, and a few oldies, are not so excited by the Y62, so, feel free to share what excites you about yours.

Not sure many of us can help with work on it, I hear it's a whole new beast! You may find yourself in demand when new members start asking questions...

So welcome aboard V8Y62

AB
5th June 2023, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the forum mate!

growler2058
6th June 2023, 06:08 AM
G'day mate, welcome aboard.

V8Y62
6th June 2023, 09:15 PM
G'day right back at you.

Just a heads up: Us GUY61 owners, and a few oldies, are not so excited by the Y62, so, feel free to share what excites you about yours.

Not sure many of us can help with work on it, I hear it's a whole new beast! You may find yourself in demand when new members start asking questions...

So welcome aboard V8Y62

I'm a mechanic by trade and a teacher by profession. I remember when the 60 and 61 models were new and had a fair bit to do with them at the various dealerships I worked at but never owned any. Nissan actually turned me off when they ditched the TD42 for the 3 litre TD. I know it was due to emissions but the 3 litre TD was/is a crappy engine that was a warranty pain. I must also say I'm not a fan of diesels and like common rails less that the old mechanical injection systems.

The reason I bought it was to replace my tired Commodore wagon that was due for rego at the end of this month and decided it did not like working anymore. I needed a family vehicle that is safe, comfortable, and that various members of my family could get into and out of safely, the 62 fitted each criteria nicely. I want it to retain these criteria and I want it to be a sleeper. I am not going to go crazy with external addons but I want the engine to perform at its best for each modification that I do to it.

I do plan to do a bit of work, as funds permit, on my Y62 and will document it as I go, I'll be happy if that helps others. I've watched alot, and I mean alot, of videos on YouTube that show impressive numbers but they all lack verifiable evidence except for dyno numbers for full power runs. I like performance vehicles, I've owned a few over the years and even have a V8 Holden in a Toyota (sorry for saying that name here), the VK56 engine is an awesome piece of engineering and it is what attracted me to the 62. I will post what I do to my 62 as I go but I have no doubt others will have already done many of the things I will do, and there are YouTube videos that show a few of them and that have given me inspiration.

I have no particular order or time frame but I'll probably start with dataloging the engine (HP Tuners and/or WinOLS), then add some usability modifications from Ko Gear, then work on engine performance (exhaust then intake), then maybe add a front locker (I dislike electric and air operated lockers but can't find mechanical lockers that fit the 62 front diff).

Big Girl
20th August 2023, 06:35 PM
Hey, V8Y62
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Big Girl has been giving my grief and none of the threads here have helped.

Sounds like your knowledge will be well received here. I haven't looked but you may even start a Y62 thread for mods.

Wishing you well for your adventure, and your story makes sense. Cheers Bud.