PDA

View Full Version : glow plug timer TD42

Songoni
16th May 2023, 08:47 PM
Has anyone successfully used a generic ebay universal glow plug timer on their TD42? How did you wire it up? Tired of having to press a momentary button on the dash before starting the car.

I have a GU originally with RD28 and was swapped with a Silver Top TD42 sometime in its past life.

jff45
17th May 2023, 09:02 AM
Has anyone successfully used a generic ebay universal glow plug timer on their TD42? How did you wire it up? Tired of having to press a momentary button on the dash before starting the car.

I have a GU originally with RD28 and was swapped with a Silver Top TD42 sometime in its past life.

Yes, I'm using an OEX adjustable timer on my TB45E to TD42T conversion. It's been working faultlessly since 2015. I set it to 6 seconds glow then it does 6 times on/off for a second each time as the after glow sequence.
It has a connection to the starter wire so it skips the glow if you start it when engine is already hot and then it only does the after glow.
On the occasional really cold morning I glow it once, turn the key off and then do another 6 seconds before starting.