PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Island

Stropp
16th May 2023, 04:22 PM
Hi guys just wondering about the best way to get to Fraser Island , I know there are two ferries and also where is the best spot to camp bearing in mind I’m towing the van. Cheers Stropp

rusty_nail
16th May 2023, 07:46 PM
Hi guys just wondering about the best way to get to Fraser Island , I know there are two ferries and also where is the best spot to camp bearing in mind I’m towing the van. Cheers Stropp
nissannewby Brissieboy any advice here?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

MB
16th May 2023, 10:22 PM
5hrs Have sadly passed, zero recent or historical help here Stroppstar [emoji23]
…….Back in the 80’s & 90’s say ‘Inskip Point’ 2 x Ferries [emoji3554] were for hauling Nissan/Toyoda Twucks/Buses only over.
One Orange, one Blue IIRC [emoji23]?
Twas a decent challenge in the day getting off the ever changing deep beach bank over there, majority of wankers got axled deep within 200m of heading to Eurongy [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plasnart
16th May 2023, 11:50 PM
Likewise Stroppy I can’t offer any recent advice. Took the bike over in ‘96 from Inskip up to Indian Head. You gotta see the freshwater inland lakes and go for a swim. I remember Lake McKenzie was pretty speccy. Saw a python stuffing a crow down its gob there too which was interesting to watch. Just watch those yota bogans though, had a confrontation with one on the barge back to Inskip 30 blood boiling minutes after he slammed through a creek overtaking my careful bike crossing at the time. Prick :) (coulda been a trol driver too, can’t remember.) :D

Maxhead
17th May 2023, 06:49 AM

Both times we went, we stayed at Rainbow beach caravan park. I think it was the big 4 next to the boat ramp.
Inskip point is a 10 minute drive and there you jump on the ferry to get on the island. Remember you’ll need 54 permits to get there. Book all that shit in town.
You suppose to pre book all your camping spots on the island, which we never did and just camped where we saw a good fishing spot…lol
We didn’t take the caravan on the island but lots did and there’s shit loads of spots to camp[emoji106]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2023/05/17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jff45
17th May 2023, 07:57 AM
We came back last week after 5 days there. We had a cabin in Happy Valley because we're septuagenarians now and too old to camp.
We live just north of Brisbane so only a couple hours drive up, get fuel at Rainbow Beach then to Inskip and onto the barge.
You can park on the side of the road to air down before doing the short sand run to the barge. With luck there won't be any idiots already bogged on the track who couldn't be bothered airing down.
You can get the Fraser permit online and you can pay for the barge once you're on it.
Get your tides info so you don't get to Hook Point at high tide otherwise you'll have to go through some salt water.

Plenty of vids on Youtube showing the bogged action at Inskip.

This is the dashcam footage of our run through the Ngkala Rocks section coming back from Sandy Cape..

https://youtu.be/NELYGdT1rEc

Brissieboy
17th May 2023, 09:45 AM

Two of us went again last year across from Inskip - I was GU only, other was Pajero and off-road van. We dumped the van of course to do all the rest of the island that we wanted to. Inskip onto the barge can be a problem for the unwary - just do a search for 'bogged at Inskip'.
A van will certainly restrict you, even a small off-roader. Only travel on the hard sand at low tide to get to your chosen camp site. Any of the camping sites on the eastern side are good so just take your pick. Wind can be a bit strong at times so up in the dunes gives a bit of protection.
Never camped on the western side but there are options there as well.
Plenty of activity there so if you do get stuck there will be help around.
Plenty of bities and big horse flies.
Best advice I can give: Take recovery gear and LOWER YOUR TYRE PRESSURE ALL ROUND!!!

happygu
18th May 2023, 06:30 PM
The Manta Ray barges at Inskip Point offer flat loading and offloading onto the island. The real tricky bit is the super soft sand at Inskip Point itself before you get to the barge, and a small bit getting off the badge into the Island. Once on the Island you can choose the easy but corrugated inland route to get you part way up the Island and to the main ocean beach, or go around the Southern Edge ( Hook Point ) where it can be a bit challenging depending on the sand conditions and tides - definitely a no-go with a van if the tides are coming in as there are spots where there are no safety spots and if you are stuck then you are done.... last time we were there we weren't towing and were pushing with the tides turning, and there were a few spots where i had to push pretty hard to keep up the momentum in the soft sand

The Kingfisher Bay barge at Kingfisher Bay takes you straight up the hill out of the resort, and last time i was there there were quite large wombat holes to make it harder with the van, so i would possibly not choose that route unless you have done it before and you know what to expect

Touses
19th May 2023, 12:38 PM
Hi Stropp,

Best bet is Fraser Venture barge out of River heads to Wangoolba creek then easy enough to Eurong.
North up the beach to either Happy valley, The Cathedrals or Dundabara.
All are north of Yidney rocks and are dingo fenced. Book online. Yidney rocks ain't that difficult although I've not done it with a trailer.
Plenty of beach camping zones south of the rocks. Be dingo conscious.
Enjoy your stay there mate it's a magical place.