PDA

View Full Version : River crossing

Cuppa
12th May 2023, 07:44 PM
Well we made it across the Pascoe River. One other car arrived at the crossing just ahead of us. A stock Toyota Prado . We met a few kms before the crossing with him on his way back to Lockhart River community having decided the crossing was too risky. Depth was 610mm & a reasonable flow out in the middle. No-one else there bar us. We took a deep breath & cracked onward, noting the roof of a submerged 4wd just poking out of the water 30 metres downstream from the crossing. It was nerve wracking but we got through the boggy sand covering the concrete base with just a couple of moments of uncertainty. When the car began steering left I thought perhaps the the Tvan was beginning to float & pulling the rear of the car around. Not a nice feeling at all. In hindsight I don't think that was what was happening. Rather we were using our front diff lock which can make turning back to a straight line after trying some 'lock to lock' (to get traction on the sand) a bit difficult .... so having wrestled with that particular sandbar we continued diagonally across the crossing instead of straight ahead as desired. But we got through with the interior of the car dry. Tarp down in front of the car, 1st low all the way & a surprisingly large bow wave ahead of us. All the other rivers were a doddle by comparison. On our way back to the Victorian Arctic.

MB
12th May 2023, 09:26 PM
Welcome Back VIC Home Soon Cuppa & Mrs Tea LEGENDS [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji736][emoji736]
Aint too many more crossings to arrive homeward bound, your 4.2 faithful proven years away is Fair Dinkum LEGENDARY [emoji123][emoji123]

In regard subject, was Old School similar diesel donk suggested to open downstream doors to regain Terra Firma in a miscalculated emergency [emoji120][emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrazilianY60
12th May 2023, 10:04 PM
What is the purpose of the mentioned tarp down in the front of the car?

BigRAWesty
12th May 2023, 10:55 PM
What is the purpose of the mentioned tarp down in the front of the car?It's called a car bra.
It creates an air pocket behind the tarp to keep water out of the engine bay.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

MB
14th May 2023, 08:00 PM
Furthermore, it does over a longer distance crossing when needed create a ‘pushy poo poo’ effect up your rear increasing Dyno Torque [emoji23][emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

MB
14th May 2023, 08:18 PM
Wondering IF our ‘Blinds/Bra’s ‘only’ for the likes of say Nissan 4.2 Diesels well breathing snorkelled are even needed in clean water?
If IT’s running HARD I would assume that as much weight as possible on the traction tyres via H20 could help?

MB
14th May 2023, 08:21 PM
Wondering IF blinds/bra’s were originally invented by Mogas/Dizzy/Petroleum vehicles back in the days [emoji848]

mudnut
14th May 2023, 09:29 PM
Keeps the fan blades from smacking into the water.

MB
14th May 2023, 09:54 PM
Correct Craigstar[emoji106][emoji106]
Viscous couplings and patience have changed the game entirely [emoji120][emoji120]
My /Our Old PaPA [emoji23]used to teach of dropping off fan/belts before crossing etc… [emoji120][emoji120]

pollenface
15th May 2023, 08:57 PM
Keeps the fan blades from smacking into the water.

and pulling the fan into the radiator

jay see
15th May 2023, 09:17 PM
Furthermore, it does over a longer distance crossing when needed create a ‘pushy poo poo’ effect up your rear increasing Dyno Torque [emoji23][emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkShit mate you have a way with words.
Love it...

Even got my Mrs to read it and like everyone else you write,she read it a couple of times to understand it.

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk

BrazilianY60
15th May 2023, 10:49 PM
Well, I am still trying to figure out the "pushy poo poo" effect part. :-D

MB
16th May 2023, 09:02 PM
Definitely doesn’t work in skinny trench like bogholes where the water/sludge has nowhere to go except back up banks and around through your open windows whilst smoking [emoji51][emoji23]
In a long straight clearwater crossing (Disclaimer: consult safety experts) there is many factors that also come into play, flow, traversing angle etc…..
Heading slightly diagonally Upstream you’ll no doubt experience the slight feel of rear poo poo [emoji90] push up your torque ass/arse but it’s all relevant to your vehicle,setup,towing behind etc…
No Clarity Apologies [emoji23][emoji23]

Cuppa
8th July 2023, 07:05 PM
I'd forgotten MrsTea had videoed the Pascoe Crossing. Found it this arvo & just uploaded it to Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-8hLrhqyks

Touses
8th July 2023, 07:31 PM
I'd forgotten MrsTea had videoed the Pascoe Crossing. Found it this arvo & just uploaded it to Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-8hLrhqyks

I've pushed worse brother, bow wave over the screen and arse going sideways, grit the teeth and go on,
calm the wife on the other side and empty my pants while she's not looking.
I do tip my hat to you. you are the adventurer we all vie to be be. Kudos.

rusty_nail
8th July 2023, 08:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-8hLrhqyksI think that's the first video I've seen from you mate, always enjoy reading the blog but your vids look awesome!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

MB
9th July 2023, 04:12 PM
Top Work Mr & Mrs Tea [emoji736][emoji736][emoji3590][emoji3590]
Slow and steady, zero Knee jerk reactions, a proper cool, calm & collected crossing [emoji123][emoji123][emoji736][emoji736]

jack
9th July 2023, 07:38 PM
I think that's the first video I've seen from you mate, always enjoy reading the blog but your vids look awesome!

I'm pretty sure there is an impressive one of him following a water filled track in WA somewhere. Also one in Lakefield and Palmer River from memory. Cuppa can you publish the links?

rusty_nail
9th July 2023, 08:31 PM
I'm pretty sure there is an impressive one of him following a water filled track in WA somewhere. Also one in Lakefield and Palmer River from memory. Cuppa can you publish the links?He's got over 300 vids on his yt channel, I've followed it and will take a look through it sometime

jack
9th July 2023, 09:00 PM
He's got over 300 vids on his yt channel, I've followed it and will take a look through it sometime

300! you must have broken into his private stash. I can only see 44 ;-)

rusty_nail
9th July 2023, 09:39 PM
300! you must have broken into his private stash. I can only see 44 ;-)My mistake, is over 300 subscribers haha

Cuppa
24th November 2023, 01:22 PM
BTW .... zero water in the cab from that crossing, so door seals are ok. I did tape up the air vents at the lower rear of the cab though.