PDA

View Full Version : Car top boat & loader

shakey55
4th May 2023, 08:20 AM
Good morning all,
Is there anybody carrying a car topper boat and electric loader. Thinking of adding one to my 2005 GU IV 4.2td

If there is what loader and what boat are you carrying.

What is the weight of both, and can someone tell me what weight can be carried on the roof of my vehicle.

Cheers n beers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brissieboy
4th May 2023, 09:01 AM
Roof loading is a bit of an issue. I have seen lots of different limits from supposedly reliable sources. First check your handbook - some models do have it in there I have been told. There is nothing stated in my handbook so I tried to get a definitive answer from Nissan for my 2015 GU wagon and they gave me the following response:
It also depends on the rack which should have limits specified, and all values need to be de-rated for off-road use.
I hope that helps.

mihit
5th May 2023, 07:15 AM
My old "standby" formula was 100kg/pair of roof racks. (Gutter mount)

So if you have 5 Bars...technically you can put 250kg up there. Whether that's safe or sensible in terms of mass-height-handling...
You'll get a lot of leverage up there as well and while a tinny/ dinghy may be aerodynamic going forwards - it will be something of a sail in cross wind.

If you have rails, then you will need to investigate there, but should be approximate.