PDA

View Full Version : Steering column bush

PeeBee
13th April 2023, 10:21 PM
Guys, I noticed this plastic bush on the top of the steering column was absolutely shagged. Any idea what is actually called so I can source one? i will send the image to PAP as well, totally hard and perished.86711

BrazilianY60
13th April 2023, 11:20 PM
It looks to me like the one that stays on the bottom of the steering well and has a small pin over its race to unclick the turning signal lever. Was you turning signal coming off as expected after turning a corner?

PeeBee
14th April 2023, 09:21 AM
It looks to me like the one that stays on the bottom of the steering well and has a small pin over its race to unclick the turning signal lever. Was you turning signal coming off as expected after turning a corner?

Been over twelve months with it off the road, so cannot remember to be honest.

PeeBee
14th April 2023, 10:11 AM
Has anyone got a secondhand steering column they dont want or are willing to sell? The guys at PAP are telling me the bush isn't a spare part, so I need to buy a whole steering column. Kicking myself as gave the spare steering column I had away. 1997 2.8 TD GQ wagon, odeally just after the top assy where the bush is

mudnut
14th April 2023, 12:42 PM
Has anyone got a secondhand steering column they dont want or are willing to sell? The guys at PAP are telling me the bush isn't a spare part, so I need to buy a whole steering column. Kicking myself as gave the spare steering column I had away. 1997 2.8 TD GQ wagon, odeally just after the top assy where the bush is

Can the bush be machined out of teflon? I have gotten myself out of many a bind, by using a drill press as a lathe to machine plastic bushes.

mihit
14th April 2023, 02:53 PM
Can the bush be machined out of teflon? I have gotten myself out of many a bind, by using a drill press as a lathe to machine plastic bushes.

I'll bet it can!
Or nylon, or UHMWPE or any of the other good slippy plastics.
I'm blessed with a lathe or three, but absolutely, cunning use of a spinning thing will make parts!

Will probably have a couple notches (if it is for the indicators) which will have to be filed in by hand...

PeeBee
15th April 2023, 08:55 AM
Thanks Guys, simply dont have the time or drive for this stuff, so bought the s/h steering column and popped out the bush which looked brand new and swapped it out. Another job resolved.