PDA

View Full Version : Water in Airbox

Rossco
9th April 2023, 12:48 PM
So a bit of a wierd one, staying down at Mallacoota in the GQ and went to start it . . Ran for a second then stalled thought that's weird tried again and starter just jammed. . Hmmm not good. . . Seemed like the thing was hydro-locked we did have a heap of rain overnight but the idea of the airbox filling up from the snorkel seemed to be pretty bloody unlikely, . . but pulled the top off the air box and sure enough is bloody FULL of water [emoji44].

Damm took piping off intercooler pipe, full of water, turbo full of water, pulled glow plugs and have her a crack. . Cranked and a s#!tton of water came out. . Dried everything out plugs back in and she fired straight up. . Ran without crossover pipe to get last bit out of intercooler (fair bit still came out) put all back together and seems to run and drive fine. . . Still a bit of a worry think I'll pull the sump and try to have a look at rods for any visual bends all in all not an ideal situation.

Never really thought this was possible the amount of 4wds out there with snorkels that live in the rain and never really heard of it. Thinking it must have been perfect angle of rain all night but still pretty crazy. Been driving and parked in some pretty decent storms but quite paranoid now lol. . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2023/04/59.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2023/04/60.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

nissannewby
9th April 2023, 02:13 PM
Happens a lot with aftermark boxes and snorkels. Not a great deal of aftermarket boxes come with drains in them.

Do you have a ram head on the snorkel?

Rossco
9th April 2023, 02:31 PM
Has a ram head forward facing think it's Donaldson 4 inch. Does have a drain with a tap but was closed as kinda kept it closed in case I forgot before river crossings. . Will definatly be lot more vigilant now lol. .

AB
9th April 2023, 03:14 PM
Damn, it’s bloody scary!

Happened to me once too with my rear face snorkel and parked up on a downhill over night with a big storm.

Scary shit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rossco
9th April 2023, 04:28 PM
Damn, it’s bloody scary!

Happened to me once too with my rear face snorkel and parked up on a downhill over night with a big storm.

Scary shit!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah right, what happened, did you try start it or how did you notice. . . Seem to vaguely remember [emoji848] . . .

AB
9th April 2023, 04:38 PM
Yeah right, what happened, did you try start it or how did you notice. . . Seem to vaguely remember [emoji848] . . .

Nah i used to be paranoid about it and checked it after the storm.

Didn’t this happen to you at Krissos place in ACT?

For some reason I remember that when you had your pizza box airbox?

Rossco
9th April 2023, 04:44 PM
Hmm don't think it was me lol. . But yeah paranoid now lol. . .

pollenface
10th April 2023, 05:11 PM
Wow that's an eye opener!

PeeBee
11th April 2023, 09:33 AM
Happens a lot with aftermark boxes and snorkels. Not a great deal of aftermarket boxes come with drains in them.

Do you have a ram head on the snorkel?

Is this the little rubber teat on the filter box you are referring to? I have also overlooked this detail and need to do a mod. of some description, but I think an automatic set up is better than a manual valve thats easy to overlook or forget

Bidja
11th April 2023, 11:04 AM
Has a ram head forward facing think it's Donaldson 4 inch. Does have a drain with a tap but was closed as kinda kept it closed in case I forgot before river crossings. . Will definatly be lot more vigilant now lol. .

Have a duck bill rubber thingo drain in my airbox. Could fit one downstream of your tap on a small length of pipe in case you forget to close tap off crossing.

Hope she keeps hanging in there mate. Sound like u might be lucky.

https://inhousefabrication.com.au/product/rubber-duckbill-valve/

PeeBee
11th April 2023, 12:59 PM
Have a duck bill rubber thingo drain in my airbox. Could fit one downstream of your tap on a small length of pipe in case you forget to close tap off crossing.

Hope she keeps hanging in there mate. Sound like u might be lucky.

https://inhousefabrication.com.au/product/rubber-duckbill-valve/

Thanks thats what I need , just ordered one.

mudski
11th April 2023, 02:03 PM
Bitta' info for you fellas.

PeeBee
11th April 2023, 05:44 PM
Thanks Mark. Good info.

mudnut
11th April 2023, 07:58 PM
Good things, but must be inspected and cleaned, often.

PeeBee
11th April 2023, 08:53 PM
Good things, but must be inspected and cleaned, often.

Good point Craig, I recall mine used to fill up with the shit that came in via the snorkle

Bidja
11th April 2023, 10:25 PM
mudski these Donaldson Vacuator Valves range from 25-78mm dia and the application here is for cyclonic pre filters.

The smallest (P149099 /P525956_25mm dia) looks very similar to the one in my airbox _ box is of thin wall aluminium fabricated construction and the valve is captivated by the circumferential grove shown for these two valves (Donaldson).

General info: I live on a dirt road and only ever wiped the inside of box out (installed for several yrs), never had to remove or clean the bib internal profile.

mudski
12th April 2023, 09:49 AM
mudski these Donaldson Vacuator Valves range from 25-78mm dia and the application here is for cyclonic pre filters.

The smallest (P149099 /P525956_25mm dia) looks very similar to the one in my airbox _ box is of thin wall aluminium fabricated construction and the valve is captivated by the circumferential grove shown for these two valves (Donaldson).

General info: I live on a dirt road and only ever wiped the inside of box out (installed for several yrs), never had to remove or clean the bib internal profile.

Correct. These are not originally designed for the aftermarket custom air boxes, but seem to be the best thing to use until someone else comes up with a better idea.

The difference between the two 25mm vac valves is the thickness of the panel its mated too.

P149099

P525956

FYI. If your air box fills up with water, the vac valve won't just open up, well it may a little under the weight of the water, but when not in use they sit shut. They operate when the engine is running.

nipagu7
12th April 2023, 12:32 PM
the durometer is also different in those two valves . on the donaldson page it describes when to use either one .

AB
16th April 2023, 08:20 PM
How’d you go with checking out the rods Rossco? All good?

Rossco
17th April 2023, 07:15 AM
Yeah haven't, drove back from Mallacoota, over 500k she seemed fine but think I will after Tassie trip. It's going in for a service today so will have a chat to them see what they think or if they've got time to do it. .