PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat Covers

10G
17th March 2023, 01:39 PM
In my entire life I have never purchased a set of car seat covers.

But the Patrol seats are beginning to tear on the seams, so I need to do something.

I understand that sheeps wool is comfortable but I can also see how it would become filthy when mixed with bulldust and mud etc etc etc.

So I'm open to recommendations and suggestions on anything.

Thanks.

Plasnart
17th March 2023, 02:32 PM
Mate, I've never had a set of car seat covers that I found comfortable. It is an absolute PITA fitting them and they make my back and ar*e sweat!

I'd rather get the upholstery steam cleaned now and then than fit covers (dogs or other animalistic people like kids might jumping around be a different story though!).

How old are your seats? Might be worth looking at re-upholstering if they've already done you many years?

mihit
17th March 2023, 03:30 PM
You dont mention the vintage.

Over here it's not uncommon (nor illegal) to swap out seats from other vehicles. Apparently ford falcon, and subaru imprezza/legacy seats bolt straight in. And "racing buckets" can just be hosed off...

In terms of seat covers - if you can find someone to weave you one of the wooden-bead ones that fits good (chinese ones a-la supercrap auto are sofa king shit), they "allow air flow and provide gentle massage" I quite like them.

Or I think "black duck" are australian company? Who provide covers to fit your specific model.

10G
18th March 2023, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the input guys. It's a 2013. Yeah dunno what to do, maybe I should speak to an auto upholsterer and get it stitched up??

Plasnart
18th March 2023, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the input guys. It's a 2013. Yeah dunno what to do, maybe I should speak to an auto upholsterer and get it stitched up??

Dunno, depends on cost I suppose. Mihit's response reminded me that those wooden bead seat sheets are easy to fit and I found them pretty comfy too years ago. Maybe give that a crack first. They're pretty cheap and seem to be popular with taxi drivers for many a year. From memory took a bit to get used to though. Better IMO than buying synthetic arse crack sweat makers.

Brissieboy
19th March 2023, 08:24 AM

Even with seat covers, the seat issues will only get worse. Probably good idea to repair even if you go for covers.
I use sheep skin as I like the feel. Not too expensive so just replace them when they get too grubby or damaged. And some covers can be a bit harsh on the seats so may cause more damage.

PeeBee
19th March 2023, 03:37 PM
We use the canvas seat covers at the mine and whilst they are essentially indestructible, they absolutely stink after a short period from sweat. This may be different with a personal vehicle but for lugging around sweating wildebeests, I would not recommend canvas. I had a set of custom lambswool covers made for the GQ and they are brilliant. When they get a bit grubby more from stains, they just go in the clothes washing machine and air dry on the line. Never had a problem with shrinkage or refitting. The negative however is if they get wet on the seats they can take a while to dry, however the perspiration smell is not there.