PDA

View Full Version : Engine light and no power :(

pollenface
28th February 2023, 09:33 AM
I fitted a HPD high flow intake, new air, oil & catchcan filters, cleaned the MAF, tidied up my catchcan plumbing, replaced some suss looking fuel and vacuum hoses.

As soon as I fired it up the engine light is on and strangely my bluetooth OBD2 dongle will no longer connect to my phone (I have the torque app).

I went for a drive, it gets to 50-60 okay but is virtually undriveable above that. Foot to the floor it struggles to get to 100. I disconnected the battery and left it for a couple of hours. No change. I've replaced all the vacuum lines I can find except for the larger ones going to the brake booster. My next thought is possibly a faulty MAF sensor.

The car retuned, EGR disabled has a HPD boost controller which is virtually the same as a dawes (using boost to cancel vacuum signal).

mudski
28th February 2023, 10:26 AM
Remove the HPD hi flow intake and put the stock one back on and see what happens.

BillsGU
1st March 2023, 04:15 PM
Yep - it's over boosting.

10G
1st March 2023, 04:20 PM
I've suffered that problem, but had no engine light. Just guessed it was limping.

Get your gauges going and yes, it does sound like a boost issue (which I'm learning all about ATM).

Bidja
1st March 2023, 05:19 PM
Not sure why the Bluetooth connectivity has dropped out, try paring again.

As mudski said revert back to previous induction pipework and see how goes.

Is the vacsol electrically connect (plugged in) or resistor mod used.

Can check MAF voltage signal output to ECM by measuring MAF volts by back probing MAF sensor elec connector/plug _ With multimeter can use a safety pin, slide in from the back of plug/connector along yellow green wire to touch ferrule connector (+V) and common to battery terminal earth. MAF voltage with IGN on should be nom 0.4V / eng at idle get nom 2V and MAF volts max nom 4-4.5volts (depends on mods).

Diagram attached may be of interest.

Can run a multimeter in cab to observe MAF V on the fly.

pollenface
1st March 2023, 11:33 PM
Thanks for your replies

I replaced the MAF today, no change. I'll swap the intake back over tomorrow and see what happens before booking in to a mechanic. My bluetooth OBD2 dongle will not communicate with the torque app anymore for reasons unknown to me, tried dozens of times.

I don't really understand how it could be overboosting when the max boost is set to 18.5psi (what it's tuned at), it normally hovers around 17.4 with normal driving, it will hit 19.4 for 1 second if you stab the accelerator before dropping back to 18ish.

Not sure what is meant by "varscol" but but there's no resistor mods.

Bidja
1st March 2023, 11:40 PM
"vacsol" is an abbreviation used for the VNT vacuum solenoid used for stock boost control.

pollenface
2nd March 2023, 02:59 PM
"vacsol" is an abbreviation used for the VNT vacuum solenoid used for stock boost control.

Thanks.

This is not in use/disconnected. It has a HPD manual boost controller set to 18.5psi. EGR was disabled when it was retuned & the manual boost control was fitted.

Bidja
2nd March 2023, 04:25 PM
Thanks.

This is not in use/disconnected. It has a HPD manual boost controller set to 18.5psi. EGR was disabled when it was retuned & the manual boost control was fitted.

Understand all this, just make sure it has the electrical connector plugged into the vacuum solenoid.

pollenface
2nd March 2023, 04:44 PM
Refitted the stock intake piping inc the solenoid, power is back and driving normally again. Engine light still present after disconnecting battery though.

Learning experience for me, high flow intake must require tuning again. I just thought it would complement the current tune but of course, i have no idea.

Bidja
2nd March 2023, 05:35 PM
Refitted the stock intake piping inc the solenoid, power is back and driving normally again. Engine light still present after disconnecting battery though.

Learning experience for me, high flow intake must require tuning again. I just thought it would complement the current tune but of course, i have no idea.

So did u revert back to stock VNT boost control or just plugged in connector.

Should modify one thing at a time so u can identify what is actually going on.

See if u can get hold of a scan tool and erase any fault codes.

MAF voltage measurements would be benificial to identify any variation between intakes.

pollenface
3rd March 2023, 08:08 AM
Just plugged in the 2 pin connector (VNT control is still manual)

Bidja
3rd March 2023, 10:55 AM
Just plugged in the 2 pin connector (VNT control is still manual)

Good. On CRD it is a must to have the vacsol plugged in with manual boost control setup, the ECM requires this or u will experience limp type run_may boost to 10psi max that all. DI is not impacted if plugged in or not. .

With remap EGR is disabled, so now with vacsol plugged in and is running well with stock intake, I would refit your HDP high flow intake. Let us know how she runs.

pollenface
6th March 2023, 10:25 AM
Good. On CRD it is a must to have the vacsol plugged in with manual boost control setup, the ECM requires this or u will experience limp type run_may boost to 10psi max that all. DI is not impacted if plugged in or not. .

With remap EGR is disabled, so now with vacsol plugged in and is running well with stock intake, I would refit your HDP high flow intake. Let us know how she runs.

Awesome info, thank you for that (what I really needed to know).

I'll check back again here after refitting the high flow and checking voltages, I'll also grab myself a non-bluetooth OBD2 instrument :)