PDA

View Full Version : More plugs in cabin - relays or bigger alternator?

Peter Comber
15th January 2023, 06:08 PM
Hi folks, I知 after a bit more socket access in the front and plan to take my car to an auto electrician for some work but I知 not sure what I知 after exactly and it痴 easier to embarrass myself here first.
Firstly:
2003, GU, ZD30, assume original alternator, line running through an isolator to the back where I plug a battery box in.

Secondly:
From an electrical current/amperage point of view is it a simple job (for an auto elec.) to give me another one or two cigarette style sockets in the radio surround as well a USB or two? What do I need to know about current or draw there if I was to have a UHF in one of the cig. sockets, a dash cam. in another and maybe charging a couple of things via USB.
Is it simply telling the dude what I知 going to be doing or am I already in the realm of needing a bigger alternator?

BrazilianY60
15th January 2023, 09:07 PM
Extra in-cab ports are easy peasy. New fused line and its done if always on, or relayed if post ignition is required.

Second battery stuff I'll leave for others to comment. I have never had a car with those.

mudski
16th January 2023, 01:37 PM
Just run them, fused, directly to the second battery. Very simple.

Peter Comber
17th January 2023, 08:32 AM
Thanks gents, much appreciated.

PC