PDA

View Full Version : GVM uprades

rogswa
13th January 2023, 09:09 PM
Hi, just brought a 2019 Patrol series 5 TIL , can anybody help with advice on suspension up grade ie do i need GVM upgrade ( live in WA and tow a 3.3T caravan) Sorry if in wrong area with post but first timer

MudRunnerTD
13th January 2023, 10:03 PM
Hi, just brought a 2019 Patrol series 5 TIL , can anybody help with advice on suspension up grade ie do i need GVM upgrade ( live in WA and tow a 3.3T caravan) Sorry if in wrong area with post but first timer

Hi mate, there are a few options for GVM upgrades. You will not get a GCM upgrade though.

Once you figure out what your weight looks like includ8ng Ball weight then your options for GVM will be clearer.

Everything from a 180kg GVM increase without any changes then up to a 4T, 4.2T and a 4.5T GVM upgrade 8s available.

Heavy duty Coils with Bags work well or up to Airbag Coil Delete with Self Leveling for a premium. Big bux though.

As you get heavier the price goes up accordingly. Do you need or want a Lift?

Upper and lower front control arms. Rear lower billet arms. Depends on how deep your pockets are to be honest.

Note that the wheel alignment on these is very important and best yo have aligned for your weight. The Airbag replacements allow you to align the car ate travel height. Being independent front and rear if the rear drops down with ball weight then the inside of the tyres can scrub out.

Hope that helps a little.

DX grunt
14th January 2023, 12:37 AM
rogswa

G'day mate. I got a suspension upgrade for my ute using West Coast Suspension, and my local mechanic - who is also a vehicle examiner (Merredin) and he got all the paperwork sorted and affixed a modification plate for the 2inch lift. I think there is a WCS at Rockingham. Not sure where SOR you live.

For your consideration or putting it on the back burner. LOL.

PeeBee
14th January 2023, 08:16 AM
When I had to re-do my GVM upgrade from the WA certification after bringing it home to Victoria, I had to do a very intense brake test with 44 emerg stops from 60 - 0 and 80 - 0 - no one has mentioned this as part of the process - is it actually performed? This was the VASS system in 2017. I know my GVM upgrade from WA was desktop certification from 400klm away and the car was never even sighted, just they clipped me $800. Just a point, and for the record I passed using factory pads/disks and braided brake lines.

David LL
20th March 2023, 10:38 PM

Hi I'm in a similar position except that I haven't bought the Patrol yet. I tow a 3.5T caravan when fully loaded with water, etc. I won't need much in the Patrol in terms of accessories - just a tow bar and roof rack. There will be two adults, 20kg dog plus equipment. I expect I'll put more stuff on the caravan and will get the suspension/axels upgraded to 3.8T. On the basis that I'll remain within the GCM, I think all I need to do is increase the Braked Towing Capacity (BTC) of the Patrol to 3.8T or 4.0T. My question is whether this can be done without a GVM upgrade? This cheaper and easier - presumably on a second hand Patrol??? Thanks to anyone who can provide some ideas/thoughts...

Stropp
22nd March 2023, 05:07 PM
Hi I'm in a similar position except that I haven't bought the Patrol yet. I tow a 3.5T caravan when fully loaded with water, etc. I won't need much in the Patrol in terms of accessories - just a tow bar and roof rack. There will be two adults, 20kg dog plus equipment. I expect I'll put more stuff on the caravan and will get the suspension/axels upgraded to 3.8T. On the basis that I'll remain within the GCM, I think all I need to do is increase the Braked Towing Capacity (BTC) of the Patrol to 3.8T or 4.0T. My question is whether this can be done without a GVM upgrade? This cheaper and easier - presumably on a second hand Patrol??? Thanks to anyone who can provide some ideas/thoughts...

You will need to do something with gvm if you have a gu, 3060kg, with you , your mrs and dog you will be almost there with 200kg caravan ball weight. I’ve just been through this and as I couldn’t afford a new patrol I had the sell and buy a bt50 with a gvm upgrade already done to 3500kg.