PDA

View Full Version : Strange Fuel Starvation when its Cold Outside

paladintrucks
12th January 2023, 02:47 AM
Morning from the US
I am a long time Safari/Patrol Owner, Ive had 5 or 6 over the years. I'm an importer in the US.
My current daily driver is a rare beast, Its a 94 Safari AD (UN Spec) NA TD42 24volt Automatic with 7,000 kms, No, seriously it has 7,000 kms.
I bought it 6 months ago, it was apparently a never delivered UN vehicle. It was driven 15kms a month and serviced every 6 months.
It is literally new in the wrapper.
Imported it a few months ago, had an ODD giant diesel particulate filter underneath about twice the size of a muffler. Pulled that!
Here is my problem, it starts fantastic no matter what them outside temp, glow plugs work a charm. Runs beautifully.
When the outside temp nears freezing it still starts beautifully but after 2 or 3 minutes it want to DIE.
If it just sitting running it will gradually start to drop rms from 900 to stall like it is running out of fuel, then a very hard restart. then feels like its running on 4 or 5 cylinders until it clears its throat.
If I am driving it after start it runs fine, but if i let off the throttle even at 60kms it will drop rpm's and die. If I come to a stop, same thing.
It takes reaching full operating temperature before it will stop acting this way.

Facts
Replaced fuel filter and checked all plastic lines
Only happens when its cold outside, near or below freezing
Its done this since I got it 3 months ago at 5,500 kms
We have installed the DTS Turbo system, made no difference
I have run fuel treatment in it every fill up
Does not matter the orientation of how I park it, uphill downhill all the same
Runs absolutely beautifully and strong as an ox UNLESS I come to stop or completely lift off throttle
Once fully warmed up it has ZERO symptoms.
I have another 96 Safari with factory Turbo TD42 and his has never exhibited any similar symptoms

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated, i'm at wits end.

Touses
12th January 2023, 10:01 AM
Hi mate.
Simply put your problem is cold diesel. Happens to us over here too.
Doesn't stay cold enough for long enough to worry a great deal about it.
An inline fuel heater may be an option.

BrazilianY60
12th January 2023, 12:10 PM
And BTW, congrats on both rigs. They look awesome.

PeeBee
12th January 2023, 03:27 PM
Hi mate.

Agree, I have gone this way also, however a first stop fix is to look at getting some 'winter fuel or additive' to control the gelling.

mudski
12th January 2023, 05:18 PM
Agree, I have gone this way also, however a first stop fix is to look at getting some 'winter fuel or additive' to control the gelling.

Yep try this stuff.
https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/lucas-anti-gel-cold-weather-diesel-treatment

Plasnart
12th January 2023, 06:58 PM
Holy smokes you found a unicorn!!
What those blokes said ^^

paladintrucks
13th January 2023, 03:14 AM
Hi mate.

I have zero issues with my other identical TD42 though, same day parked in the sale place.
THANKS
Sean

paladintrucks
13th January 2023, 03:16 AM

I'll give it a try, but my other identical GQ has zero issues,

paladintrucks
13th January 2023, 03:17 AM
I'll give it a shot! THX

paladintrucks
13th January 2023, 03:17 AM
I'll give it a shgot

paladintrucks
13th January 2023, 03:20 AM
I have a severe Patrol Problem, My GQ Firetruck with 9,000 kms

paladintrucks
13th January 2023, 03:30 AM
Appreciate it!

mudski
13th January 2023, 07:47 AM
Other than the fuel additive, go over every hose clamp, or better yet, replace every part of the fuel line, except the metal parts. Even though they look fine, they may not be. An being an old truck, regardless of use, those rubber lines are way out of service life.

mihit
13th January 2023, 05:58 PM
Sounds maybe like air getting in the fuel lines somewhere. Before starting try cracking the bleed screw on the filter and hand priming. If it's bubbles then you've found the issue. It should be a solid stream of diesel.
Simplest is to fit an electric lift pump pre-filter. Which I do anyway as the stock IP is a) expensive and; b) a known failure point and; c) it makes bleeding the IP and injectors easy AF.

Another thing could be the gauze filter on top of the Injector pump, under the inlet. It's a sneaky bastard and AFAIK not mentioned in any manuals. Pull it out and check it's clear.

Other thing would be an injector service/replacement.

Nice collection man. Way straighter than mine! Have you thought about, y'know, using them? :P

mihit
13th January 2023, 06:02 PM
Ahhhhhh. Is it one of the IPs with two solenoids on it? You have your main (lower) and -some- have a secondary right on top, which I'm pretty sure (never used it, always deleted) closes off the spill/return line, to boost pressure for cold starts.

I would hotwire or bypass the secondary, if that's the case.

paladintrucks
15th March 2023, 03:23 AM
Ahhhhhh. Is it one of the IPs with two solenoids on it? You have your main (lower) and -some- have a secondary right on top, which I'm pretty sure (never used it, always deleted) closes off the spill/return line, to boost pressure for cold starts.

I would hotwire or bypass the secondary, if that's the case.

Stupid question, do i have a rotary or inline pump? Its a Blacktop TD42
Thanks
Sean

mihit
17th March 2023, 05:10 PM
Thanks
Sean

not sure on the terminology..."inline" I guess?

It's a gear driven wobble plate driving a plunger ...

BrazilianY60
17th March 2023, 06:16 PM
not sure on the terminology..."inline" I guess?

The inline IP is like a mini 6 cilinder engine sitting besides the TD... all the pump pistons are inline, just like the engine is inline itself.

BrazilianY60
17th March 2023, 06:19 PM

You will have to look at it, or post a picture here if you wish.
The inline pump looks like a mini inline-6 engine. The steel fuel conduits go from the top of the pump to the engine injectors.
The rotary pump has the steel fuel conduits on the back of the pump, in a circular fashion. Looking at it it is easy to understand that it is a rotary action that pumps fuel into each conduit.

mihit
19th March 2023, 06:27 PM
https://www.dieselduck.info/machine/01%20prime%20movers/2008%20Robert%20Bosch%20VE-type%20Injection%20Pump.pdf