PDA

View Full Version : Fizzing at the bung..to reality.

Plasnart
10th January 2023, 10:56 PM
A Y62 newby's early observations after 5000km on road only:

So I bought myself a new Y62 late last year (2022), wide-eyed and bushy-tailed.
I drove it stock, and loved it.
The TI-L front bumper was as ugly as sin with its fake plastic chrome inserts, but got plans for that.
The factory rims looked better in real life than in the brochure, but the 265 HTs had to go.
So after 246km I lay under it and replaced the silent factory exhaust with an aftermarket system.
I chucked new rims and some AT tyres on it and woohoo...loved it.
I had a bullbar installed, replacing the ugly factory plastic front end. It looks the part, but front suspension performance was substantially affected even though I didn't exceed maximum front load limit. A bit vague cornering over bumps now.
Adaptive cruise control - needs re-calibrating after bullbar install. It tried to kill me a few times after "seeing" slow vehicles in neighbouring lanes as if they were in mine and applying emergency braking. Thank god nobody was up my arse at the time.
Steering wheel.....too skinny. My Ford Terrtitory has a much better ergonomic (bit thicker and smaller diameter) steering wheel.
Steering wheel control buttons...not intuitive. I still need to look down to pick volume control and various other buttons. In comparison, the Territory's buttons are "just there" like a Jap-build should be.
The 7-speed transmission is quite honestly bloody disappointing. There is no logical reason for so many gears matched to this amazing engine. Let it pull. (I compare it to the Territory's straight 6 petrol engine that torques so hard through a 6-speed transmission). One or two less gears would see this big donk pulling harder down low and less "flighty".
Cruise control is hysterical. On gradients, on resume, even on setting it. Annoying.
Its factory headlights, great.
Its internal ergonomics, great.
Cooled seating, unbeatable!
Its looks, great.
Its engine.... f_cking amazing. No more to be said.
The HBMC (Hydraulic Body Motion Control) suspension is something else! Bloody amazing. No going back.

These observations are based solely on my highway blast up to Queensland and back over the Christmas break. Maybe some of my negative opinions will change once I get the thing properly off road which I admit I haven't done yet.

Maybe that transmission will win me over in the bush!

mudski
10th January 2023, 11:17 PM
Sounds like you have more negatives than positives so I am willing to take it off your hands for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrazilianY60
11th January 2023, 01:17 PM
Steering wheel: maybe you can leather wrap it. It definitely sizes any wheel one notch up.

These days I'm seeing auto boxes with 9 gears and such. Never driven one, but I imagine automakers want the engine pumping it at a fixed RPM and you "drive the box" instead. Won't do you any good to hear it scream as it will always have a higher gear to sit in.

MudRunnerTD
11th January 2023, 08:17 PM
I still cant believe the paddle switch on teh left side steering wheel is NOT The Bloody Volume! FFS! Shits me to tears.

The adaptive Cruise is pretty good i reckon and changing the length of operation is a one button on the steering wheel which is nice.

What bar did you go with? Im surprised you need to recalibrate the sensors? That should have been done by the installer? Note that the sensor mounts may ahve been harvested from the factory bumper as the mounts are not available from nissan! Are the sensors intalled the right way up?

The emergency frontal collission sensor is located lower than the bumper and faces forward through a hole in the bar (Likely) this may need adjusting up or down, i have read a few that have been picking up the bar itself and trying to avoid it....

I Highly Rate the Centre Console riser mate. thisi s a cheap mod but damn it is Bloody great. I just did 2000kms in mine over Chrissy and back in another car today was looking for left Elbow support that i had with the centre console riser in the 62. So nice and the extra storage is needed and a bonus.

Pics or it didnt happen mate!!!

Plasnart
11th January 2023, 09:47 PM
I still cant believe the paddle switch on teh left side steering wheel is NOT The Bloody Volume! FFS! Shits me to tears.

The adaptive Cruise is pretty good i reckon and changing the length of operation is a one button on the steering wheel which is nice.

What bar did you go with? Im surprised you need to recalibrate the sensors? That should have been done by the installer? Note that the sensor mounts may ahve been harvested from the factory bumper as the mounts are not available from nissan! Are the sensors intalled the right way up?

The emergency frontal collission sensor is located lower than the bumper and faces forward through a hole in the bar (Likely) this may need adjusting up or down, i have read a few that have been picking up the bar itself and trying to avoid it....

I Highly Rate the Centre Console riser mate. thisi s a cheap mod but damn it is Bloody great. I just did 2000kms in mine over Chrissy and back in another car today was looking for left Elbow support that i had with the centre console riser in the 62. So nice and the extra storage is needed and a bonus.

Pics or it didnt happen mate!!!

Check the What Did You Buy Today thread mate.
The front radar was remounted on a TI bracket when bullbar was installed, but need a pro recalibration to line it up just right.
And yes just today I ordered the centre console extension - slide option. Cant wait for that. The internal storage really is pitiful in the Y62.
So many negatives but they’re mostly insignificant, just annoyances really.
Except the tranny! :D

Hodge
12th January 2023, 09:01 AM
Best currently "New" available 4x4 on the market today, I reckon. For touring and/or for a van on the back. I had the pleasure of giving one a drive towing a decent van up to Wangaratta. What van? It's like being in a oversized HSV!
When and if my GU decides to print it's resignation papers, maybe it's what I'd be looking at (but not yet. I f'kn love this car). Also, as mentioned elsewhere You chose a seriously kick arse colour too!

I have a few mates/workmates that I go away with all the time, who upgraded to 62's a while back. In my view and from experience, while they mostly exalt "off-road", there is a area of struggle. Technical, wheel lift, rocky, "solid axle country". It's either 5000rpm of V8, hope for the best, or stuck. Crawl area in all modes is lacking. Spots, where my fossil age oil burner GU crawled up like a billy goat, they had to go full noise. Full noise is sexy and all, but for some reason they keep snapping CVs. Especially if throw some 35's on there, which is fairly common.
On account, these boys have spent more dough replacing CVs than on fuel! And I'm told there is a massive shortage of the genuine ones in Aus due to it.
But take a long rutted section and these beasts are in their element. Lack of diff pumpkin hang ups with all that grunt behind it!

Plasnart
12th January 2023, 11:16 AM
Best currently "New" available 4x4 on the market today, I reckon. For touring and/or for a van on the back. I had the pleasure of giving one a drive towing a decent van up to Wangaratta. What van? It's like being in a oversized HSV!
When and if my GU decides to print it's resignation papers, maybe it's what I'd be looking at (but not yet. I f'kn love this car). Also, as mentioned elsewhere You chose a seriously kick arse colour too!

I have a few mates/workmates that I go away with all the time, who upgraded to 62's a while back. In my view and from experience, while they mostly exalt "off-road", there is a area of struggle. Technical, wheel lift, rocky, "solid axle country". It's either 5000rpm of V8, hope for the best, or stuck. Crawl area in all modes is lacking. Spots, where my fossil age oil burner GU crawled up like a billy goat, they had to go full noise. Full noise is sexy and all, but for some reason they keep snapping CVs. Especially if throw some 35's on there, which is fairly common.
On account, these boys have spent more dough replacing CVs than on fuel! And I'm told there is a massive shortage of the genuine ones in Aus due to it.
But take a long rutted section and these beasts are in their element. Lack of diff pumpkin hang ups with all that grunt behind it!

Yeah I feel a bit like Sylvester the Cat who’s laid mouse traps all through the room and backed myself into a corner, in that my GU TD42T will now need to be offloaded, and it’s gonna hurt like hell when I do.
You are right about the slow technical stuff, the oiler walks through that shit like it was nothing and I used to love that!
But I wont be, and haven’t done that type of driving for ages now so the 62 will slowly be built to tour.

MudRunnerTD
12th January 2023, 02:23 PM
On the soft stuff on the beach the 62 is basically an Animal. The gear box excels on the beach mate. Just sweet symphony.

I have not really played with Rock Mode yet but sand mode was great.

But....... make sure you know how to actually get the thing into 4wd and further, into Low Range. Don't figure this out after you are bogged.....

AWD to 4WD on the fly is fine.
Hi range to Low range, stop. Foot on brake. Select neutral, select low range, ding, drive on. Low range is a beast.

Hodge
12th January 2023, 03:18 PM
On the soft stuff on the beach the 62 is basically an Animal. The gear box excels on the beach mate. Just sweet symphony.

This !!! And mud, and bog holes ! It's in another league ... 4.8 used to be king of "bop bop bop" limiter fun .. step aside ! The 62 shreds it all to bits...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Plasnart
12th January 2023, 06:53 PM
Just to be clear I'm freaking loving the 62, it just has idiosyncracies that irk me (can I say just like the partner?....sshhhhh!!). I'll come around I'm sure.
But if you ask me what shits me about the GU2 TD42T? Ummm...........hang on...........wait a sec..........thinking here........ahhh.........nup. Sorry I got nothing. Oh yeah, head wobbles. Thats probably it! It doesn't have an annoying cruise control coz it doesn't have one, and it has a tape deck! Now that is special! But it's time to move on.

Hodge
12th January 2023, 08:17 PM
Just to be clear I'm freaking loving the 62, it just has idiosyncracies that irk me (can I say just like the partner?....sshhhhh!!). I'll come around I'm sure.
But if you ask me what shits me about the GU2 TD42T? Ummm...........hang on...........wait a sec..........thinking here........ahhh.........nup. Sorry I got nothing. Oh yeah, head wobbles. Thats probably it! It doesn't have an annoying cruise control coz it doesn't have one, and it has a tape deck! Now that is special! But it's time to move on.Haha mate you have the ultimate of the ultimate.
It's solar systems ahead of the troglodyte GU.
You mentioned exhaust fitted. Let the lion roar and have heaps of panties thrown at ya !

rusty_nail
12th January 2023, 09:17 PM
A Y62 newby's early observations after 5000km on road only:

So I bought myself a new Y62 late last year (2022), wide-eyed and bushy-tailed.
I drove it stock, and loved it.
The TI-L front bumper was as ugly as sin with its fake plastic chrome inserts, but got plans for that.
The factory rims looked better in real life than in the brochure, but the 265 HTs had to go.
So after 246km I lay under it and replaced the silent factory exhaust with an aftermarket system.
I chucked new rims and some AT tyres on it and woohoo...loved it.
I had a bullbar installed, replacing the ugly factory plastic front end. It looks the part, but front suspension performance was substantially affected even though I didn't exceed maximum front load limit. A bit vague cornering over bumps now.
Adaptive cruise control - needs re-calibrating after bullbar install. It tried to kill me a few times after "seeing" slow vehicles in neighbouring lanes as if they were in mine and applying emergency braking. Thank god nobody was up my arse at the time.
Steering wheel.....too skinny. My Ford Terrtitory has a much better ergonomic (bit thicker and smaller diameter) steering wheel.
Steering wheel control buttons...not intuitive. I still need to look down to pick volume control and various other buttons. In comparison, the Territory's buttons are "just there" like a Jap-build should be.
The 7-speed transmission is quite honestly bloody disappointing. There is no logical reason for so many gears matched to this amazing engine. Let it pull. (I compare it to the Territory's straight 6 petrol engine that torques so hard through a 6-speed transmission). One or two less gears would see this big donk pulling harder down low and less "flighty".
Cruise control is hysterical. On gradients, on resume, even on setting it. Annoying.
Its factory headlights, great.
Its internal ergonomics, great.
Cooled seating, unbeatable!
Its looks, great.
Its engine.... f_cking amazing. No more to be said.
The HBMC (Hydraulic Body Motion Control) suspension is something else! Bloody amazing. No going back.

These observations are based solely on my highway blast up to Queensland and back over the Christmas break. Maybe some of my negative opinions will change once I get the thing properly off road which I admit I haven't done yet.

Maybe that transmission will win me over in the bush!

i dare you to find the limiter before MudRunnerTD does haha. well done mate!

Plasnart
12th January 2023, 09:40 PM
Haha mate you have the ultimate of the ultimate.
It's solar systems ahead of the troglodyte GU.
You mentioned exhaust fitted. Let the lion roar and have heaps of panties thrown at ya !

Mate I throw me own panties out the window when I floor it :D

Plasnart
12th January 2023, 09:49 PM

I have not really played with Rock Mode yet but sand mode was great.

But....... make sure you know how to actually get the thing into 4wd and further, into Low Range. Don't figure this out after you are bogged.....

AWD to 4WD on the fly is fine.
Hi range to Low range, stop. Foot on brake. Select neutral, select low range, ding, drive on. Low range is a beast.

Yeah covered that.

There's also a 2wd-only hack I found on youtube (Dash Offroad). Pull the 4wd fuse under the bonnet and AWD is disabled. I kept my factory spare based on this.

BrazilianY60
13th January 2023, 01:34 AM
This !!! And mud, and bog holes ! It's in another league ... 4.8 used to be king of "bop bop bop" limiter fun .. step aside ! The 62 shreds it all to bits...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TapatalkWhat is the v8 volume?

mudski
13th January 2023, 11:34 AM
But if you ask me what shits me about the GU2 TD42T? Ummm...........hang on...........wait a sec..........thinking here........ahhh.........nup. Sorry I got nothing. Oh yeah, head wobbles. Thats probably it! It doesn't have an annoying cruise control coz it doesn't have one, and it has a tape deck! Now that is special! But it's time to move on.

What do you think you will sell the GU for? I know someone who is looking for one.

Plasnart
13th January 2023, 01:12 PM
What do you think you will sell the GU for? I know someone who is looking for one.

I'll PM you mate.

Plasnart
13th January 2023, 01:17 PM
What is the v8 volume?

They're 5.6L mate.

MudRunnerTD
13th January 2023, 02:50 PM
Yeah covered that.

There's also a 2wd-only hack I found on youtube (Dash Offroad). Pull the 4wd fuse under the bonnet and AWD is disabled. I kept my factory spare based on this.

yeah i had issues on teh beach on my first bog, the thing just would not select low range and would not spin any wheels. was very very strange. it seemed to not allow me to slelect low because it was already under pressure. Was a frustrating time on the beach and i wondered why i sold the GUIV. Once it selected (This took several minutes and turning the car off a couple of times even) then it was basically a Beast and didnt show any signs of strugling after that.

Yes i have watched plenty of Dash vids, i have spoken at length with him a few times too when i first bought the car. I bought the rear difflock bypass loom off him and rate this mod highly as it basically changes the rear difflock into a selectable E Locker which is nice.