PDA

View Full Version : Sealant for engine oil pressure switch

BrazilianY60
6th January 2023, 07:03 AM
Hi.
I need to replace my oil pressure switch (or change from one engine to another, to be more precise). The manual says to use "thread sealant". What product/brand names would be that? Gotta be something oil and temperature resistant I suppose...

mudnut
6th January 2023, 10:59 AM
Whether right or not, I usually use a bit of the copper coloured silicone sealant ( the high temperature stuff) for such jobs.

BrazilianY60
6th January 2023, 12:05 PM
Thank you Mudnut.
The search string "copper silicone" helped a lot. Found that and other even more appropriate products locally based on that search. Small things provide big help!

mihit
7th January 2023, 06:34 AM
Teflon tape aka "ceelon" another option.

BrazilianY60
7th January 2023, 05:09 PM
Teflon tape is what I actually have on my toolbox. Not sure if it goes well with oil and heat, as I usually use it for water pipes and faucets. Ended up finding/buying a product called Tek-Bond 204. Haven't used yet but seems promising.

mihit
8th January 2023, 05:22 AM
Teflon tape is what I actually have on my toolbox. Not sure if it goes well with oil and heat,

It's good for solvents (including petrol) and up to alcohol-vapour so oil is no prob. Also good for about 300 degrees celcius iirc.

pollenface
9th January 2023, 11:35 PM
you can get thread sealant from most auto parts stores, I got mine from either sca or repco. unsure of the temp rating but it's used with engine/gearbox oil.

Zards
12th January 2023, 01:41 PM
Ive allways used the white permatex sealant with no issues