PDA

View Full Version : 2012 GU Grill removal?

Coldcomfort
30th December 2022, 12:56 PM
Hey all. I bought a Redarc dual battery set up last week. To install the mounting bracket I need to remove the grill. I have the top plastic fasteners out and I can get the lower center latch out but the lower side latches are proving to be a bastard. I don't want o break anything. Is there a trick to doing this?

Cheers, all.

BrazilianY60
30th December 2022, 02:06 PM
If you look at the lower side latches up front, you will notice their face is square and they have a slot/groove cut. Use a flathead screwdriver there and turn them 1/4 turn and wiggle gently the grill. The grill has a square slot, so when you give the fastener that 1/4 turn, you align the square head with the square slot.

mihit
31st December 2022, 12:15 PM
...And are there any hiding behind the corner lights on a GQ?

Hodge
31st December 2022, 07:51 PM
All the clips will become brittle and snap/break. It's a Nissan thing.
When you remove the top visible clips. Pull the grill forward like a 15 year old! It'll come quickly.
The top clips I've been replacing with some larger zippy ties.

BrazilianY60
31st December 2022, 11:43 PM
The top clips I've been replacing with some larger zippy ties.

Mate, one of the things I hated most in dealing with interior panels was fearing the clips would break and having to reuse the ones which didn't. Car never felt the same after such interventions. Last year I found clips assortments being sold in packets of 100s, 200s, 500s from one of those China portals. I got myself one of the 500 ones and couldn't be happier. I now tackle interior panels removals with confidence that I can return the thing to original condition.

BrazilianY60
31st December 2022, 11:48 PM
...And are there any hiding behind the corner lights on a GU?Mihit mate, just went to the garage to check this one for you as my GU has the engine out now, which make easier to check things. Mine is a GU4 and does not have corner lights, the side blinker is incorporated into the single-piece headlight. I suppose yours is a GU3?

Cheers mate.

mihit
2nd January 2023, 11:57 AM
Mihit mate, just went to the garage to check this one for you as my GU has the engine out now, which make easier to check things. Mine is a GU4 and does not have corner lights, the side blinker is incorporated into the single-piece headlight. I suppose yours is a GU3?

Cheers mate.
Sorry, meant GQ. Thought I'd edited that.
Mine all GQ... haven't really paid much attention to the GUs.
Pretty sure mine have a couple of those square plastic clips behind the corner lights. PITA and I leave em out if I ever have to take a grill off. The ziptie method above also good :)