PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Wagon suspension upgrade.

Coldcomfort
11th December 2022, 09:36 AM
Hi all,

I purchased our 2012 Patrol new in November 2012. The day after we picked it up it went to ARB for a suspension upgrade. From memory it was a 2" lift kit installed. The truck has done 245K now and I'm sure that the shockers are now stuffed. I am looking to replace them but I'm also thinking of doing a springs/shocks upgrade. Maybe to 3" lift.

I would be grateful to hear of others experiences with after market kits. I am hoping I can get something that is Australian manufactured and has good after sales support. I am keeping the standard size wheels. And will need the supplier to install for me.

Cheers all, Merry Chrissy and all that,

Brian.

MudRunnerTD
13th December 2022, 10:08 AM
Hi Brian,

To be honest you have probably answered your own question..... 245kms out of a suspension package is not to be sneezed at. not a bad effort really.

Why do you want to go to a 3" and keeping the standard size tyres? seems counter intuative to be honest? Going to a 3" will bring in the need for Caster correction, panard rod length change and drag link plus brake lines etc.

if your driving style dictates that standard wheels still work for you then you are wasting your cash i reckon mate. Stay with the 2" and stay legal. Do you have a budget?

If you want to stay in a reasonable budget then i would replace your system with the exact same thing... not much develoment in the last 20 years mate, not for a daily anyway.

If you have some coin to spend then consider splashing out for BP-51s from ARB matched with teir springs. Thats what would get my money at 2" for sure. If i still had my GUIV that is what was going in that too. It was sold with an OME 3" kit that had done about 220,000kms and still in great nick.

Coldcomfort
14th December 2022, 06:52 PM
I think that you are rite. I will likely just go with a new OME set up. Those BP-51's sure are bloody expensive!! Are they really that much better?

MudRunnerTD
15th December 2022, 07:22 AM
I think that you are rite. I will likely just go with a new OME set up. Those BP-51's sure are bloody expensive!! Are they really that much better?

Ask Rossco, he has them and loves them. PeeBee has just invested too but he is under construction so untested.

But... if you stay with 2" then your savings will include the cost of front and rear panards and a drag link. That's about $1000. If you stay at 2" then your budget had an extra $1000 so the BP51s are now looking real good mate.

Hodge
15th December 2022, 12:12 PM
I think that you are rite. I will likely just go with a new OME set up. Those BP-51's sure are bloody expensive!! Are they really that much better?I've had OME 2" on my 2005 GU for 90k now.
Next lot (if I own this car still) will be the BP51s without a doubt.
I've driven a GU with a set fitted and it is in a different league compared to the standard OME shocks fitted to mine . I don't know the science behind it , but the car sat on and absorbed the road so well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

MB
15th December 2022, 08:31 PM
Do know of, witnessed a gnarly situation where a mates 51’s full tilt racing around a backtrack to assist treeless recovery was impeccable [emoji123][emoji123][emoji106][emoji106]
Have never ever seen an old GQ EAT desperation tracks as hard as that Tasmania [emoji3590]
Damn Good Shocks if affordable [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coldcomfort
16th December 2022, 07:59 PM
These shocks had better be worth it. Today I placed an order for the BP-51's for my truck. They are being fitted February 14th at ARB Bendigo. $4700 for the kit. What the fuck have I done. :icon_bonk:

That includes the springs.

BrazilianY60
16th December 2022, 11:52 PM
Don't forget the pictures at the ARB shop!!

Coldcomfort
17th December 2022, 07:52 AM
Will do....

MudRunnerTD
17th December 2022, 12:58 PM
Do know of, witnessed a gnarly situation where a mates 51’s full tilt racing around a backtrack to assist treeless recovery was impeccable [emoji123][emoji123][emoji106][emoji106]
Have never ever seen an old GQ EAT desperation tracks as hard as that Tasmania [emoji3590]
Damn Good Shocks if affordable [emoji22]

#justwaitingforamate

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/12/14.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/12/15.jpg

Coldcomfort
5th January 2023, 01:49 PM
Hi all,

as part of this upgrade I am replacing the steering damper. I will probably do this myself this weekend. I picked up the new damper yesterday. It looks pretty straight forward to install.(famous last words) Are there any gotcha's or tricks?

Happy holidays everyone.

mihit
5th January 2023, 05:01 PM
Hi all,

as part of this upgrade I am replacing the steering damper. I will probably do this myself this weekend. I picked up the new damper yesterday. It looks pretty straight forward to install.(famous last words) Are there any gotcha's or tricks?

Happy holidays everyone.

Not much. Pin to pin or eye to pin?
if you have a bracket that's clamping the panhard with a couple U bolts, make sure they're done up proper....if it isn't then it's gonna slide along when you turn left, and then you wont be turning anymore...

Coldcomfort
11th January 2023, 05:49 PM

If you are removing your grille on a GU you need one of these.

This was meant for the grille removal thread. I may or may not have been a little inebriated....

Coldcomfort
14th February 2023, 09:19 AM
Dropped the truck off at ARB for the suspension upgrade this morning. I am quite exited to drive a truck that doesn't want to throw itself off the road constantly.

Coldcomfort
14th February 2023, 05:36 PM
They sure are pretty.....

MB
14th February 2023, 08:19 PM
Beaut Brother CC Mate, I’m poor sure you’ll love them soaking up rough tour Shenanigans, top placed shocks worldwide currently but don’t be disappointed if the sexy Plastic fantastic shield pops off, waist of ARB design time IMHO [emoji23]

MB
14th February 2023, 08:35 PM
Crikey, apologies, that came out wrong Brother [emoji120][emoji120]
Insane Shocks, brilliant for 99% needs, 1% ers are not on here [emoji51]
Simply meant, the shields [emoji2924] aren’t bush worthy Roosco? [emoji23]

jack
15th February 2023, 11:08 AM
Crikey, apologies, that came out wrong Brother [emoji120][emoji120]
Insane Shocks, brilliant for 99% needs, 1% ers are not on here [emoji51]
Simply meant, the shields [emoji2924] aren’t bush worthy Roosco? [emoji23]

Should I be worried? I understood what you meant before the translation 🤣

Coldcomfort
2nd March 2023, 11:49 AM
I took the truck for its first real drive after getting the new springs and shocks installed. It took a little while to get used to it and at first I didn't like them. But after increasing the spring rate and increasing the rebound I found my sweet spot. And I love them.