PDA

View Full Version : Have I been silly

buggame
21st November 2022, 06:05 PM
G'day all,

Well I am not sure whether I have been silly in picking up an early GQ leafy ute - TD42 with about 380k onm the clock........and/or not telling me misses about it....yet!!!

The ute has had a very very hard life......station vehicle in remote SA. She does have new leaf springs all round, still had a near full tank of diesel, started first go after abiout ten years sitting in the shed, has absolutely no rust (other than where she has been bruised/scraped) and has the usual Station patina. Gearbox feels a bit like 'hows your mother' but all sychros seem fine and it doesnt pop out of gear. Clutch is strong, no diff whine and no decernable back-lash, selected 4wd and lo easily. Several of the electrical thingies dont work: horn, indicators, lights etc but not overly worried. Interior is complete. No rips in the seats....unsure why not!! Even has old Black Duck seat covers that are still reasonable/worn. Comes complete with a GME 3800 radio........ and two spares.

Took it for a spin on the road near the HS and she easily got up to 105kph.

I think she is a winner!!

Compared to the 70 series LC on the property.....well there really isnt any comparison. The GQ leafy feels far more plush!!

Unsure whether to simply get reliable....or spend money on making her look pretty. I kinda like the worn patina look.

Had GU DX5 td42 for many years. Really regret selling it...but I think this one may just grow on me.

Cheers all.

Certain to be asking many questions. Thx folks.

BrazilianY60
21st November 2022, 08:57 PM
Welcome mate! What is a Station Vehicle?

Dhuck
21st November 2022, 09:14 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

buggame
22nd November 2022, 09:18 AM
Welcome mate! What is a Station Vehicle?

Pretty certain the vehicle spent its whole life on the Sheep Station in the Far North of Sth Aust. Records suggest it was bought new and came with the Station when the property was sold ten years ago. You dont have to look far to see she has had a very hard life even tho she likely started out as the main Station vehicle for running into town, etc.

The plan is to bring it to town on a permit once I get it sort of road worthy.

There are 4x Suzi lj50 up there as as well, one is still going but in need of some TLC. The Station dump is full of old Chev's, Bedfords, utes, Suzi's, bikes......I am guessing this might be the first vehicle to leave and drive out!!

growler2058
22nd November 2022, 09:59 AM
G'day mate, welcome aboard

AB
22nd November 2022, 10:33 AM
Welcome to the forum mate!

rusty_nail
22nd November 2022, 09:38 PM
What is a Station Vehicle?

big farms in australia are known as stations mate. its likely this vehicle just spend most of its life trotting around a large big property(thousands of hectares) doing maintenance, running bales and moving equiptment etc.

BrazilianY60
22nd November 2022, 09:40 PM
Thanks! I was thinking something military, like it was "stationed" in an airbase or something.