PDA

View Full Version : New Old Patrol Owner

Gijo1977
19th October 2022, 09:18 PM
Hi fellow members,

I have recently procured myself a 2003 GU TD42TI - with far too many km, but largely a grandpa spec rig......... So now I am diving into the world of TD42s to build what I hope will be a capable and reliable off-road tourer.

All this because I did the Cape this year in my MUX, which was great...... until it wasn't, and I got wet feet at Nolans...... anyway I now have the right platform for the job

Looking forward to raiding the knowledge on the forum and getting the build right from the start.

Cuppa
20th October 2022, 11:17 AM
Hi fellow members,

I have recently procured myself a 2003 GU TD42TI - with far too many km, but largely a grandpa spec rig......... So now I am diving into the world of TD42s to build what I hope will be a capable and reliable off-road tourer.

All this because I did the Cape this year in my MUX, which was great...... until it wasn't, and I got wet feet at Nolans...... anyway I now have the right platform for the job

Looking forward to raiding the knowledge on the forum and getting the build right from the start.

Welcome.
You now own you have one of the last vehicular dinosaurs. Ideal for your intentions. Without all the electronics.
- 2003 is not old. I was only 46 then! :smileyvault-cute-bi
- Keep your TD42 in mainly grandpa spec & drive it accordingly & it will repay you with reliability & longevity. Touring vehicles don't need to be fast. The alternative is the search
for more power which leads to a never ending cycle of spending in search of reliability. A 3" exhaust & a dyno tuned small increase in psi from the turbo make a far nicer car to
drive without getting in to the bottomless money pit of big power increases. The crimped factory intercooler handles the 13.2 psi max I have on ours.
- If you want to avoid wet feet at Nolans you'll be wise to look at all door seals & floor plugs. I chickened out of Nolans towing our Tvan, & the deepest I've crossed anywhere was
800mm on both the Wenlock & Pascoe on the road out to Lockhart River. I didn't get wet feet, but water did get in on the drivers side from one, unknown to me at the time,
broken floor clip receiver. As you probably know wet flooring is a smelly unpleasant pain.
- We drove the OTT last year- I take my hat off to you, by all accounts it was a fair bit more difficult this year.

growler2058
20th October 2022, 01:54 PM
G'day mate, welcome aboard

Dhuck
20th October 2022, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

AB
21st October 2022, 08:15 AM
Welcome to the forum mate!