PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody installed a solar power system on their home

Bob
9th August 2011, 12:07 PM
We have been getting Flyers about the benefits of Solar Power Systems and how you can get rebates and also get paid for feeding excess Power back into the Grid.

Has anybody installed one of these systems and can you advise of your experience either Good or Bad.

NissanGQ4.2
9th August 2011, 08:09 PM
Sorry Bob, I haven't installed them and from what I have been told about them I more than likely won't.

Try and find out a much info on the inverters that you will be getting, from what I have been told all the cheaper deals use small inverters, so your not likely 2 be putting much back into the grid and that they are expensive 2 replace when they die, also have been told the inverters don't have a long life..

Sorry I can't be of more help

good write up here Bob, take note of inverter prices!!!!

http://www.energymatters.com.au/renewable-energy/solar-power/solar-consumer-guide.php

Finly Owner
9th August 2011, 10:45 PM
Ring around locally Bob, and check out half a dozen suppliers/fitters on what they are offering and how good :

The panels and their output is and their life expectancy,
Inverters size and expected back to grid supply and life expectancy,
What meters are being installed standard or off peak,
How much power can you expect to generate according to their suggested placement,

They should offer a no charge visit and quote. Don't believe that they are busy just because they can't come or delay installment, there are companies signing people up, before rebate date is gone, and holding back doing install.

Check, double check and triple check firms, equipment, and power generated claims, and the installers. There is shonks trying to make a quick buck out there.

Tim

Clunk
9th August 2011, 11:10 PM
We have been getting Flyers about the benefits of Solar Power Systems and how you can get rebates and also get paid for feeding excess Power back into the Grid.

Has anybody installed one of these systems and can you advise of your experience either Good or Bad.

Hey Bob, I must admit I wasn't going to have one fitted but the opportunity came along so ended up having one fitted afew months back, it's only a 1.5kw system with a 2.2kw inverter....................... we're a family of 4 and having this system has basically cut our electric bill in half. It would be more but we have a pool pump running 8 hours a day.
You'll fiind now though that there will probably be no rebate available and also the Governments Net feed in tariff has now been cut drastically or even stopped altogether in most states. We were lucky we signed up when we did as we pay 23c for every unit we use and for every unit we put into the grid we get 47c, 7c from the energy company, 40c from the state. We have this in place for 10 years.
The best way for solar to work is for the power to feed your own house and any excess can be stored in battery banks but in most places this isn't allowed but I'd look into it it mate.

If you get a system, make sure it's not a cheap ass one from china............. lots about. Get a German made one, more expensive yes but far better reputation for reliability and quality.

Unfortunately this is yet another good idea that's been completely stuffed up (like the loft insulation fiasco).................. funny how it all coinsides with the whole carbon tax thing!!!!

Finly Owner
9th August 2011, 11:42 PM
I know how a system should work........ BUT.....

I can't get my head around how you use a solar system to run a modern home with all modern appliances from a bank of batteries and fall back on mains as well.

I know of systems that run Lets say 7 panels on 14 batteries, and a good invertor, as a stand alone power system. And use gas fridge, twin tub washing machine and solar hot water. But how then do you regulate the mains into this system?

Tim

Clunk
9th August 2011, 11:47 PM
I know how a system should work........ BUT.....

I can't get my head around how you use a solar system to run a modern home with all modern appliances from a bank of batteries and fall back on mains as well.

I know of systems that run Lets say 7 panels on 14 batteries, and a good invertor, as a stand alone power system. And use gas fridge, twin tub washing machine and solar hot water. But how then do you regulate the mains into this system?

Tim
I wouldn't know mate I'm not a Sparky

Bob
10th August 2011, 10:23 AM
Sorry Bob, I haven't installed them and from what I have been told about them I more than likely won't.

Try and find out a much info on the inverters that you will be getting, from what I have been told all the cheaper deals use small inverters, so your not likely 2 be putting much back into the grid and that they are expensive 2 replace when they die, also have been told the inverters don't have a long life..

Sorry I can't be of more help

good write up here Bob, take note of inverter prices!!!!

http://www.energymatters.com.au/renewable-energy/solar-power/solar-consumer-guide.php

Thanks for those pointers.

It is rather confusing and I will be taking my time making any decision.

Hopefully be able to talk to people who have had one installed in my Area

Maxhead
11th August 2011, 07:41 AM
I was thinking about it but the government keeps taking away all the incentives. I think it would still be worth it but would take half a lifetime to pay it off though.
Good luck with it Bob

adrian
20th August 2011, 01:09 PM
We're not on the grid, so don't know about grid connect systems but as long as the weather's good we get all the power we need from solar. Panels aren't that expensive so as long as you live in an area with plenty of sunshine i'd do it - panels should be garanteed for 25 years and you'll save a packet in that time

Clunk
20th August 2011, 01:11 PM
We're not on the grid, so don't know about grid connect systems but as long as the weather's good we get all the power we need from solar. Panels aren't that expensive so as long as you live in an area with plenty of sunshine i'd do it - panels should be garanteed for 25 years and you'll save a packet in that time

so do you store the energy that isn't used in a battery bank????? and if so do you know how it works?

the evil twin
21st August 2011, 01:35 AM
Basically the two systems work like this...

Off the Grid systems use a stand alone Inverter IE the Solar Cells (or wind genny or whatever) supply the Battery Bank and the Battery Bank supplies the Inverter which converts the DC into AC power for the house on demand.
Off the Grid systems need a Battery Bank because there is no grid to import elektrikery from.

Grid connect systems use a Grid Tie system IE there is no battery bank and the Solar cells supply the Inverter which runs at optimum power and "in phase" with the Grid.
Any 'extra' power available from the Inverter not consumed by the house is exported back to the Grid by a "smart meter".
When the power available from the Inverter drops off (as the Sun sets, the wind drops or your Nuclear Reactor Scrams) then the house needs more power than the Inverter can produce so the "smart meter" imports power from the Grid

Forced Offroad
25th August 2011, 05:44 PM
With all the money you save with the power bill. Save the money for when it fails you will be up for some big bills.
Also another thing from the state government up to... is that there phasing out the electric hot water system, again save the you save for fixing the unit within 2 years when its out of warranty for pump replacements/ and all the over price bits in the system...

I would look into every thing in about 5 years,as it all still very new... But personally i'm avoiding the solar business at the the moment, and will be buying up a few large hot water units and keeping it on off peak.... And sure i'm most out there when the rebates finish next year, the customer wont be able to afford over $5000 for the supply and installation of a energy saving units.. Be that heat pump/solar... And gas prices are going up again.....

Being in a Trade that is being affected by this Im not convinced.....
It only great for the manufacture of all this trying to out do each other and now most of it come from china, but as they do they talk it up,

Im all up for saving money, but I'm in maintenance side of things...

Splashback
6th September 2011, 11:09 PM
I installed solar power systems, mostly domestic, for 18 months. Feel free to swing us any questions you have.

Pretty much everything on this thread is about right excepting the repair costs for inverters. Some of the you beaut german ones cost a packet if something lets the smoke out. Avoid Aerosharps from China, Fronius from Italy and the PVE from Queensland, unless you are a bit electronically savvy. The PVE are really basic. No readout or software, just a transformer and some doohickies on a circuit card. Out of the weather install only but if something goes wrong they are easy and cheap to fix. Personally I think they are the ones that will outlast the panels. Not unlike GQ's they will require a bit of maintenance now and then and I think 'Industrial appearance' is a pretty good way to describe them and q's too.

It makes sense to but the biggest capacity inverter you can afford but only if you have the room to mount enough panels to utilize it.

Splash

Mikell
21st February 2012, 02:53 AM
Of course, solar electricity is another excellent option for existing homes. As with active solar energy applications, solar power panels (http://www.solarpoweraustralia.com.au/grid-feed-solar-power-for-your-home.html) can be positioned to take advantage of the sun regardless of the home’s orientation. Usually, you will want to tackle other solar options before installing solar power for homes. This will allow you to size a smaller PV system which will save you in implementation costs.

oncedisturbed
21st February 2012, 09:04 AM
just ordered a small 8 panel system which allows me to bump it upto 22 panels later on. if it saves me a few hundered dollars from running the a/c or heater, I am happy. solar hot water is the next thing on the agenda as our hws is 10 year old now and no point replacing parts on it due to stOOpid prices, will switch over to solar.

97_gq_lwb
21st February 2012, 09:33 AM
I worked out that on the typical system offered by the majority of these companies the cost of the system and the amount of energy it produces it would just pay for itself over a ten year period.
These schemes and rebates have scammers dribbling all sorts of crap about them and you never get any straight answers.

oncedisturbed
21st February 2012, 09:44 AM
true, mine set me back $1898 installed plus $170 for the new smart meter to get put in. that's with a 4.2kw german invertor jobby and the 8 panels are 1.92kw total, so there is room to move later on, the generated output is based on around $500 a year off my bill which is fine to cover the a/c, heater and other small items.

Rip'n'Shred
21st February 2012, 01:32 PM
I have a decent system, 22 panels, 3.8kw. I got in just before government ditched the scheme. locked into 66c per kw generated.

I've had it for just on a year now and am absolutely stoked with it. Cheque is always higher than the bill. Cost me $13k but, need quite a few more cheques back yet to pay itself off.

I installed solar power systems, mostly domestic, for 18 months. Feel free to swing us any questions you have.

A question for splashback; I have been told that if you touch the system in any way the contract for the 66c is void. (did look at removing panels to replace roof sheets). I would like to know if this includes moving the meter box where the smart meter is (have seperate area for invertor inside shed. Looking into extensions on house that would require meter box relocation.

Thanks in advance.

97_gq_lwb
21st February 2012, 02:09 PM
How does that work 3.8 kw produces an average realistic saving of $200 a quarter so lets be generous and say $1000 a year 13 years it would have paid for itself.
What was your average bill before installing it ?
Ours is around $550 per quarter.

Rip'n'Shred
22nd February 2012, 10:53 AM
Had meter installed in march last year. so far we are at 5360kw produced at 66c per kw. $3,537.60 if my calculations are correct. Average bill is $500.

They are in a near perfect location on shed roof, never get shade.

97_gq_lwb
22nd February 2012, 01:39 PM
Can you check your figures again that exceeds any info i have read .

And is it a flat roof shed ? What sort or warranty on panels and inverter.

If you can provide proof that would be good it would make solar worth reconsidering.

Rip'n'Shred
23rd February 2012, 05:32 PM
Shed roof is on a 15° pitch (i think 20° is ideal).

When I had mine done I signed up under the previous nsw incentive scheme of 60¢ per kw plus electricity company pays an extra 6¢ per kw produced. I'm not sure how much it is now but it is no where near that.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/39.jpg

As of 5pm today 23rd Feb.

Panels Installed 22nd Feb 2011, invertor installed around mid march and producing power.

NissanGQ4.2
20th April 2012, 07:26 PM
I really want to install solar panels in our house since I knew its benefits and goodness. From cutting down your electricity bills and at the same time it is a big advantage for our nature. However, the only thing that makes me stop to purchase this is because of the price.

Welcome to the forum Evans, Post up an Intro about yourself and your rig in the introduction thread found here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?2-Introductions
When you get a chance

Cheers

Todd

Drew
21st April 2012, 07:27 AM
If you have any concerns etc give Peter a call at http://www.totalsolar.com.au, I had a long chat with him, no hard sell just the facts etc

twisties
22nd April 2012, 09:50 AM
My parents had a system installed on this house, not sure of brands or number of panels but they also got the roughly 66c deal.
Our last bill which would've cost us over $200 cost us $14!

Parents live in Perth now and my girlfriend and I are renting their place and reaping the benefits of their outlay :D